Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Suddenly "Service engine soon" light has turned on and stays hard on. My car has 5400 miles and I had oil change at dealership at 3000 miles.

Does anyone else also have this problem ? Experts - what could be the issue ?

The more and more problems I am seeing in this car , more and more I am getting inclined to sell this car.

Regards,

pkhona:mad: :mad:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Typically an emissions related issue causes the "Service Engine Soon" light to illum.

Try making sure your gas cap is on tight. If it isn't, it will trip the light. If that isn't it, take your car into the Nissan dealer. The car is equipped with OBD II diagnostics and the techs should be able to pull out the code that tripped the light.

Bob K.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

I checked the gas cap. Its properly fitted. Also I opened the gas tank cap and re-fitted. Still the problem remains. I will have to take the car to the dealer.

Thanks,

pkhona

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Enforcer,

Problems in chronlogical order and severity included in stars.

1) Car wouldn't start and after many tries, taking key out from the ignition and re-inserting, started suddenly. After the start , the car wouldn't drvie beyond 20 miles /hr , would apply hard brakes on its own - hard I mean really hard. I shut off the car, it wouldn't start again. I had to remove the key from the ignition and re-insert it. The problem went away - never repeated again till today. Dealer clueless. Severity ***** - happened after 4 days of owning the car. That problem really put bad taste in my mouth.

2) Intermittently I have had the door locking problem. severity**

3) Rattle during bumps . Severity * (or less than a star)

4) Service engine soon. Severity ?? not diagnosed yet.

Regards,

pkhona

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Interesting...

1 & 2 appear to have the BCM in common, will be interesting to see if 4 is also related. May not be the BCM itself, might be a bad electrical connection or short, alternator/battery but appears electrical in nature.

On 1, did you ever contact NNA? I would and see if they can get some engineering expertise involved.

I'm also thinking your dealer stinks. What's your opinion of the service at your dealer?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

That's what I suspect. There is definately an electrical issue which is manifesting in various forms. Also this electical issue could be a loose connection since these are intermittent issues and not hard failures - which typically you get because of loose or "temp shorts". Other thing I am thinking is that their firmware could have bugs. That could also explain lots of problems the user are facing and electrical system is just fine.

My dealership definately stinks. For the problem no. 1 they thought it was figment of my imagination - man that was really something. For my first service I went to another dealer rather than my original dealer (capitol nissan in San Jose , CA). I intend not to give a single dime worth of business to my original dollar.

I had approached consumer affairs. They were going to follow up with the dealership about the issue. The only response I got from them was that dealer didn't find anything and then they sent a small survey form in mail asking about the service of the agent who took my complaint :eek:

I believe NNA is the consumer affairs correct ? Or is it something else ?

Regards,

pkhona

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And It went as it came!! surprised!!

Hi All,

The service engine soon light suddenly went off as it had suddenly come on ?!! I shall still take the car to the dealer to see if there is internal record of what happened .

Making me believe more and more that there is an intermittent electrical issue with the car or their program is buggy and in some sequence(s) gets into wrong mode(s). That wrong mode is creating all sorts of problems for many of MO users. Most of times these problems go away by removing the key from the ingnition and turning on again (like a soft reset to some circuitry).

Regards,

pkhona

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Re: And It went as it came!! surprised!!

pkhona said:
. Most of times these problems go away by removing the key from the ingnition and turning on again (like a soft reset to some circuitry).

making me believe that the error coding is only stored while the light is on......(car is on)

maybe there is a sensor (IAP) or the like that is misreading???

hopefully they can get a read, to see if there's an issue.........

s

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi esemes,

Most of the electrical problems that users have faced do go away with the restarting of the car.

However this problem persisted for more than a day and I would have re-started the car mutliple times. First of all how the problem occurred is a mystery, how the problem corrected itself is a bigger mystery.

Today I will take it to the dealer and see if they can explain it or not.

Regards,

pkhona

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
pkhona said:
Hi esemes,

Most of the electrical problems that users have faced do go away with the restarting of the car.

However this problem persisted for more than a day and I would have re-started the car mutliple times. First of all how the problem occurred is a mystery, how the problem corrected itself is a bigger mystery.

Today I will take it to the dealer and see if they can explain it or not.

Regards,

pkhona
PK-

hey........... pls report back with your findings!!!! (i hope they are positive, and work out for you)

-eSe

·
Registered
86 Posts
The check engine like is probably a loose gas cap. Once you reset the get cap it takes about 100 miles of driving before the light reset itself.

It happened to me twice. I think the sensor is quite sensitive.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could be just that !!!.

I talked with service centre at the dealer. According to them there are few reasons for this problem to occur. One was the gas cap fit not properly. Now the service personnel seems was not aware of the fact that it takes about 100 miles of driving to reset the sensor else he would have mentioned that. He has asked me bring the car on wed. just to be on safe side to make sure that there is no other fault.

Will keep you guys posted.

pkhona

1 - 14 of 14 Posts