Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Moderator
Joined
·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, got this message 2 days ago. Went to the dealer this morning. No good news. Apparently there is a problem with torque converter – it does not lock up the right way or at all. Solenoid problem. At least that what I was told. The mechanic wasn’t sure and is going to contact Nissan experts tomorrow. Apparently the car is safe to drive though I did notice that the revs do not stay as low as they used to. If everything goes right with spares ordering the car should be repaired within 2 weeks time.

Will keep you informed hoe did it go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
THAT is RIDICULOUS. I can't believe the problems this vehicle is having.
I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad I paid for the Gold preferred 7yr package. By then it will be a completely rebuilt 2010 model!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I have just been so pissed reading all these problems people are having. Its one after another with every different system on the vehicle.

Chez
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 5 years 100k extended warranty plan. By that time I definitely will have something else........maybe another MO..........I still love this vehicle........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
My Service Engine Soon light came on yesterday morning. Went through the tighten-the-gas-cap routine. And called the service manager at the dealership to ask how many restarts it takes for the light to reset.
After about 5-6 trips, the light still didn't go off so I dropped 'er off this morning. For the Service Engine Soon light, random lockouts, and the good ol' window rattle.
Called back this afternoon to get the prognosis. Seems they "tried to reprogram the computer and now it's dead". The computer, by the way, is back-ordered. It will take "a few days to find one and get it shipped in".
But, to be accommodating, the service supervisor offered to ask Nissan to reimburse me for "some of" my car rental.

Good thing I'm too old to ever buy another new vehicle......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Thats BS. I would call Nissan. Esemes has the # to the people that will take care of you for their lack of service if I am not mistaken. You might want to pm him. That is total lack of service. They broke your computer, then won't even give you a loner?
Personally I would have made such a scene in the whole place they would give me an 350Z just so they didn't loose prospective buyers, cause that is right where I would go to tell my story to. "Guess what just happened to me, just want to warn you since you are looking to buy a new vehicle here. Guaranteed they would change their tune.
AND IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO GO BACK AND RAISE CAIN.

Chez
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I drove this morning to work and after 10 miles or so i had the impression that torque converter is not locking up. The engine revs were going up even at the slightest touch of the gas pedal. So at the traffic lights i switched the engine off and restarted it again. After that everything worked well. Same happened yesterday.

The service engine soon light is off as dealer cleared it out yesterday. Apparently it is safe to drive the vehicle. Anybody out there with similar experience? Is this really safe to drive?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
I would take that immediately to the dealer. What if you needed to suddenly put on the gas so someone doesn't ram you from behind and your MO wouldn't move.
Anytime your vehicle is in a condition that involves the safety of driving it, I would take it in immediately.
I hope the dealer takes good care of you. Just let them know you are scared to be stranded or put in a position where you can't get out of, and get in an accident cause of this.
Good luck,

Chez
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
Kris said:
Yes, got this message 2 days ago. Went to the dealer this morning. No good news. Apparently there is a problem with torque converter – it does not lock up the right way or at all. Solenoid problem. At least that what I was told. The mechanic wasn’t sure and is going to contact Nissan experts tomorrow. Apparently the car is safe to drive though I did notice that the revs do not stay as low as they used to. If everything goes right with spares ordering the car should be repaired within 2 weeks time.

Will keep you informed hoe did it go.
Gotta love that Nissan service. Its no coincidence Nissan ranks pretty low in dealer satisfaction. How could they tell you your car was malfunctioning, and then say its ok to drive it around? Sure, take a risk with a $6000 transmission? Ooookay! I would have demanded a loaner car. If they refused, its time to call the Nissan regional rep through the 800 number.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Called "service adviser" today. Apparently they are still waiting for spare part - transmission control unit? Anybody out there knows what it is? I thought everything was controlled by ECU.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
Kris said:
Called "service adviser" today. Apparently they are still waiting for spare part - transmission control unit? Anybody out there knows what it is? I thought everything was controlled by ECU.
On many Nissans, their is a secondary computer which controls the transmission. It is still hooked up in combination with main CPU though. Apparently the Murano has 3 main computers, the ECU, the TCU, and the BCM (body control module).
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Eric,

I hope they know what they are doing.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
781 Posts
I hope all people know what they are doing while doing their job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Like I said before, I hate to admit it, but as a previous ASE Master Mechanic, we don't get to "practice" repairing new vehicle or new vehicle systems.
Although the major corporations try to train all their techs on new and upcoming systems, often times they are behind, just like in any other company. So YES, techs will be learning with our first year vehicle purchases, and every other companies techs out there will be learning on yours.
Sometimes you bring your "older" car to an off label shop, it might be his 1st time ever seeing that vehicle as well. Mechanics, much to everyones chagrin, have to learn and sometimes "wingit" just like everyone else.
Usually the techs at the dealers do know what is going on 90% of the time. There are those smaller dealers though that can't afford to pay the salaries of well trained techs, so just like everyone else, they do with what they can.
I would bet there hasn't been a tech out there that has gone to a CVT school yet. The vehicle is too new. They don't plan on it coming out the door with issues, and sure is heck won't PAY to send techs to school until things have been out and they have time.

Chez
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
Chezman29 said:
Like I said before, I hate to admit it, but as a previous ASE Master Mechanic, we don't get to "practice" repairing new vehicle or new vehicle systems.
Although the major corporations try to train all their techs on new and upcoming systems, often times they are behind, just like in any other company. So YES, techs will be learning with our first year vehicle purchases, and every other companies techs out there will be learning on yours.
Sometimes you bring your "older" car to an off label shop, it might be his 1st time ever seeing that vehicle as well. Mechanics, much to everyones chagrin, have to learn and sometimes "wingit" just like everyone else.
Usually the techs at the dealers do know what is going on 90% of the time. There are those smaller dealers though that can't afford to pay the salaries of well trained techs, so just like everyone else, they do with what they can.
I would bet there hasn't been a tech out there that has gone to a CVT school yet. The vehicle is too new. They don't plan on it coming out the door with issues, and sure is heck won't PAY to send techs to school until things have been out and they have time.

Chez

Fortunately other than the transmission and AWD system, everything else on the Murano is from the Nissan common parts bin. The engine has been around for years, and the suspension components are not that different from the Altima.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,257 Posts
I would hate to find out that after 1 complete year that my dealer didn't have at least one guy who had been trained* on the CVT.

There are no more excuses.
The 2003 is history.
The 2004s are out and selling and have been for some weeks now.

No more "Well it's a brand new car".

Homer

*Being trained on the CVT is not exactly a career committment.
It's not as if they are being asked to rebuild them.
At the dealer level, it is R&R.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Drove back home this afternoon. First thing i noticed the Service Engine Soon light went off! Anyway the car drives normaly. The tourqe converter seems to locks once engine transmission reache the right temperature.

Did it fix itself?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They did a week ago and the diagnosis was problem with torque converter or more precisely transmission control unit. At least what I was told.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
I would get it checked out again. It can be throwing a new code, or the old one. Either way I would get it checked.
If it is a new code that is bad news due to more service, although it means that the TCU was only part of the 1st problem. Now this is peaking its head out.

Chez
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
About the CVT being something new...

These things have been around for a while. I read an article on them in Popular Mechanics back in the early 60s.

Some manufacturers, especially in Europe, have been using the same technology for over 10 years.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top