Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my service engine light on. I changed all my cats and pipes. I also have the TPMS ight on after changing one that was leaking now It wont detect none of them according to MR Tire. Oh well I cleared the light for service engine soon by disconnecting the battery but is coming back after a few days or less it all depends. What could it be? If I do a OBD test at autozone i get the catalyst code ??? I just changed it with new parts. I do have an engine motor oil leak from the shop i took my car NICE!!! Also I have a quick flashing brake / battery light simultaneously weird stuff.
Any advice? Or something similar. anybody? I will start by buying a new gas cap :)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Have your battery and alternator load tested at AutoZone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have your battery and alternator load tested at AutoZone.
I will. They are also known for having alternator issues, My Murano have this dim light thing in and out lighting goes like flashing or better say dimming anyway I had the alternator changed already when it left me flat at my sons school one time.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I have my service engine light on. I changed all my cats and pipes. I also have the TPMS ight on after changing one that was leaking now It wont detect none of them according to MR Tire. Oh well I cleared the light for service engine soon by disconnecting the battery but is coming back after a few days or less it all depends. What could it be? If I do a OBD test at autozone i get the catalyst code ??? I just changed it with new parts. I do have an engine motor oil leak from the shop i took my car NICE!!! Also I have a quick flashing brake / battery light simultaneously weird stuff.
Any advice? Or something similar. anybody? I will start by buying a new gas cap :)
Catalyst codes (...you never stated which ones, but presumably P0420 and/or P0430) can be caused by a variety of things aside from bad catalytic converters. Vacuum leaks, exhaust leaks, faulty O2 sensors and/or wiring, etc. You should first verify that there are no issues with those other components before replacing the catalytic converters (esp. given their cost).

The lights dimming and electrical phenomena could be battery and/or alternator as suggested earlier (...also check the serpentine belts and tensioner since a loose or worn belt can affect alternator operation).

Why do you need a new gas cap? Do you also have an EVAP code?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Catalyst codes (...you never stated which ones, but presumably P0420 and/or P0430) can be caused by a variety of things aside from bad catalytic converters. Vacuum leaks, exhaust leaks, faulty O2 sensors and/or wiring, etc. You should first verify that there are no issues with those other components before replacing the catalytic converters (esp. given their cost).

The lights dimming and electrical phenomena could be battery and/or alternator as suggested earlier (...also check the serpentine belts and tensioner since a loose or worn belt can affect alternator operation).

So i went to Autozone and got my battery & alt. checked. Battery is Good / Alternator Output ""Failed"" So new Alt. tomorrow. I also went ahead and checked my air filter and it was backwards (NICE)
Engine Service Soon still on and TPMS light as well. For those two I just ordered Scanners to clear error code and activate TPMS. Still most likely my error code which I will check tomorrow will indicate that's the Cat which I already have change both uppers stream CATS and The Y lower Cat connection. All my pipes / resonator and muffler are brand new. I also changed all 4 Air and fuel Sensors. I also changed 3 coil packs. After all that work my car came out with an motor oil leak in which the auto shop told me to bring it on the 8th it seems they don't want to take responsibility for it. Will see, more to come soon.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The most common cause of the TPMS light being on is the battery failing in the in-tire sensor. The only way to correct this condition is to replace the TPMS sensor located inside the tire.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The most common cause of the TPMS light being on is the battery failing in the in-tire sensor. The only way to correct this condition is to replace the TPMS sensor located inside the tire.
Okay! So I replace all four TPMS and they can be sense but light cant be reset. Took it to this tire place and with all their tools they just said theres something wrong with your system REALLY! I went to You tube and looked at some videos and tried to do the reset thing by deflating tires at different PSI's and then doing the single cable reset underneath the dash next to the OBD connection and nothing. Im so frustrated. What ELSE!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
My TPMS light has been on for years. I had a dealer reset it once but it came back within two weeks. A friend has had good luck with this..

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Okay! So I replace all four TPMS and they can be sense but light cant be reset. Took it to this tire place and with all their tools they just said theres something wrong with your system REALLY! I went to You tube and looked at some videos and tried to do the reset thing by deflating tires at different PSI's and then doing the single cable reset underneath the dash next to the OBD connection and nothing. Im so frustrated. What ELSE!!!
Are the tire pressures for each tire showing correctly on your display?

Who replaced the TPMS sensors? What brand was used?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are the tire pressures for each tire showing correctly on your display?

Who replaced the TPMS sensors? What brand was used?
I dont have a display but I have a TPMS sensor and I can see the presure battery and all that good stuff. The TPMS sensors are from Autozone the ones that dont need programming. t got
Schrader / Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor but when i was looking i have a different tpms on a tire could that be the issue? hummm

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I'm assuming we're talking about a Murano that came with a factory tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS.) There should be a console display that shows the pressures for each tire, as well as a TPMS warning light (tire symbol with an exclamation point.) If your TPMS warning light is lit, either your tire pressure is low, or the battery in the TPMS sensor inside the tire is depleted, and the sensor needs to be replaced (as far as I know you cannot just replace the battery in the sensor..)

If I understand your response, it sounds like you replaced them with aftermarket external TPMS sensors... If so, that won't make the dashboard light go out... I think your only option if you don't want to see the warning light is to tape over it...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm assuming we're talking about a Murano that came with a factory tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS.) There should be a console display that shows the pressures for each tire, as well as a TPMS warning light (tire symbol with an exclamation point.) If your TPMS warning light is lit, either your tire pressure is low, or the battery in the TPMS sensor inside the tire is depleted, and the sensor needs to be replaced (as far as I know you cannot just replace the battery in the sensor..)

If I understand your response, it sounds like you replaced them with aftermarket external TPMS sensors... If so, that won't make the dashboard light go out... I think your only option if you don't want to see the warning light is to tape over it...
It just have a light not the display for each tire. I replaced all sensors not just the battery. The tools can sense the TPMS all four so i dont get it. All tire pressure at 33 psi. WHHAT??? Tape over it??? You got jokes!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Question: Did you Murano come standard with a Nissan factory TPMS system?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
And, did you replace the sensors inside the tire with compatible Nissan TPMS sensors?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All TPMS are detected thats the main thing! I have searched that for Nissan TPMS reset has to be taken to their dealer since they only carry that Nissan Tool

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

So after claening my MAF sensor all codes have been gone! Hummm that easy! Will see how it goes in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
All TPMS are detected thats the main thing! I have searched that for Nissan TPMS reset has to be taken to their dealer since they only carry that Nissan Tool
The reason I asked the questions was to help orient myself to assist you... I have owned 2 Muranos, a 2003 and a 2019. Both have Nissan TPMS, and both have an individual display for each tire's pressure. I assumed your 2009 with TPMS was the same, so I was confused when you said you couldn't check display to see if it was registering the TPMS sensors... I searched for and found a 2009 Murano owner's manual to check. Apparently the second generation Muranos don't have a display for each tires' pressure from what I can see... It just has the idiot light you mentioned...

Can any 2nd gen Murano owner's confirm that their TPMS doesn't display the tire pressure for
each tire?

From my '03 owner's manual. It shows the display that I expected 2nd gen Murano to also have...
Product Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
The reason I asked the questions was to help orient myself to assist you... I have owned 2 Muranos, a 2003 and a 2019. Both have Nissan TPMS, and both have an individual display for each tire's pressure. I assumed your 2009 with TPMS was the same, so I was confused when you said you couldn't check display to see if it was registering the TPMS sensors... I searched for and found a 2009 Murano owner's manual to check. Apparently the second generation Muranos don't have a display for each tires' pressure from what I can see... It just has the idiot light you mentioned...

Can any 2nd gen Murano owner's confirm that their TPMS doesn't display the tire pressure for
each tire?

From my '03 owner's manual. It shows the display that I expected 2nd gen Murano to also have...
Nope. We weren't so lucky.

When you say that "All TPMS are detected", do you mean that you have a TPMS scan tool that can wake the sensors up and retrieve their ID, tire pressure, and battery voltage state? If so, and if all the sensors are operating normally and registering 33 psi or whatever you filled the tires to, then the problem may be with the TPMS receiver, BCM, or wiring in between.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Thanks!

That's odd... I would think if the 1st and 3rd gens have individual pressure displays, the 2nd gen would too. I think even my '00 Maxima had a display. That's what I get by assuming...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

When you say that "All TPMS are detected", do you mean that you have a TPMS scan tool that can wake the sensors up and retrieve their ID, tire pressure, and battery voltage state? If so, and if all the sensors are operating normally and registering 33 psi or whatever you filled the tires to, then the problem may be with the TPMS receiver, BCM, or wiring in between.
Yup thats exactly what I mean. Is weird because everything was good until i replaced one because it was leaking air, before changing it everything was normal. I had it replaced by a normal valve until i bough the new one. Of course the light will come up since i dont have a TPMS semsr in one of my tires. Thinking it was going to get fixed once repkaced but for my surprise nothing still there. So if you back track everything nothing changed just a simple TPMS. So after buying one I replaced all of them and my scanner detects all of them with good battery and PSI and al is there. But the light BOOM!!!! Still there aaaarrrgggg!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts