1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the service engine soon light and here are the codes:
P1148 & P1168 ..these two say Fuel Air Metering Error
P1031 & P1051 ..these two say Fuel Air Metering Auxilary Emission

Anybody any clue? I really really don't want to go to a dealer so I am trying to figure this out at home.
Thanks for your advice.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
You might try clearing the codes and see if they come back. Also check the connectors, have you been doing things around those areas lately. (MO owners never fool around do we) :D GRIP

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I have no messed with anything. The only thing that I might think of is yesterday I had started the engine and then I tried to start it again with the engine running cuz I didn't hear it..you know MOs run so quiet ...so I got the funny sound from the starter. But everythings seemed ok..and I don't see how stressing the starter would cause any emiision codes to be generated.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
You didn't cause this by inadvertantly hitting the starter. (I wonder why modern cars don't lock out the starter when the engine is running? Just athought....)

In any event, I think it has something to do with Closed loop operation and there are specific troubleshooting trees to follow.
Wouldn't surprise me if the Oxygen sensor is bad.........just a SWAG.
(1148/1168 are kinda famous. Many, many cars have thrown these codes thru the years)

Take it to the dealer. We are way beyond being able to noodle these problems and and figuring out that the points need adjusting.
:2:

Homer

·
5,100 Posts
POINTS? GRIP :2:

·
5,100 Posts
I still can't see any big problem with clearing the codes and see if it comes back. If they do, off to the dealer, if they don't saves the dealer hassle and time wasted. GRIP :D P.S. MAP and MAF sensors get a jitter once in a while and rarely do go bad, just my input.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed. I'll go to the deal tomorrow perhaps. However, I did want to better understand this closed loop control business. Can anybody expound a bit on that? Also what are the other two codes P1031 && P1051? Help :( ? Thanks for all your advice!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, my Mo has about 10k miles on it which to me was sort of surprising to get into this SES mess. again, thanks.

·
5,100 Posts
Closed loop control is just what the words say. The amount of fuel to the engine is regulated by a number of inputs to the engine control system. Part of the Loop is measuring the air mass being ingested by the engine and the oxygen content of the the exhaust. The system is controlling a number of other things as well timing , egr, etc. this is called a control loop, Input to output controlled items, more input and output measurements, more regulation on and on. ETC. You get the idea. GRIP :D

·
Registered
719 Posts
myMoo said:
Also what are the other two codes P1031 && P1051? Help :( ? Thanks for all your advice!
I searched the Engine Management section of the service manual for those other two codes and couldn't find anything on either on of them. Sorry!

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Check gas cap

This has happened a couple times to me on my '03 SE. Most recently the dealer told me that it would've cleared after the MO went through several (3-6?) cycles of turning off the ignition, engine cools sufficiently and turning on iginition.

By the way, how to you guys get the codes? Is it something available in recent models?

thanks

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
You certainly did not break your mass air meter by cranking your starter while the engine was already on.

I did have a MAF meter go out on my 97 Maxima not too long ago. Symptoms were, the car would start and idle fine, but once I put it in gear, it would drive about 20 feet and then stall. In neutral, it would have not rev smoothly either.

If you get a MAF code, take it to the dealer. You do not want this part breaking down on you while you are driving!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts