Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, the SES light went on right after engine started. The car seemed to behave normally. It's a 2005 MO with 15.5k mi. I hooked it up to the OBD and the error codes are P1121 and P2135. The FSM says errors are cause by throttle actuator and throttle sensor, respectively. My guess is that the on-board computer sends the command to open the throttle by a certain amount but the sensor feedback indicates a different amount, and the discrepancy caused the error code. I reset it today and it hasn't come back after a few starts and a short drive. I certainly hope this is just a glitch and not a true defect. Quickly looking through the service bulletin didn't find anything relevant. Any ideas?

·
Registered
26 Posts
That sounds similar to the problem I had with my 05. Although I did not have the codes the SES light came on, and they told me it was the throttle body. I have had it replaced twice now.

·
5,268 Posts
As Stephan625 said this is most likely the throttle body. If you browse through the board you will find a few similar cases. Just hope that yours was just a "glitch"....

PS. what OBD scanner do you have?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

Stephan625, how long did the first replaced throttle body last?

Kris, the scanner I use is Elmscan-5 by scantool.net.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gonzo said:
Does it do anything else besides pull codes? Retrieve engine data, vehicle speed etc?
Yes, it reports instantaneous sensor data, RPM, speed, etc. In fact, there was a discussion here earlier this year on ProScan. ProScan is one of the user interface software designed for the ElmScan-5.

·
5,268 Posts
Gonzo said:
Does it do anything else besides pull codes? Retrieve engine data, vehicle speed etc?
Gonzo,

try this link

·
5,268 Posts
No, I got both for $150 from this site

I think now the price is $165. I elected to go for the universal one...

·
5,268 Posts
ProScan Universal Scan Tool w/USB Interface - Supports VPW, PWM, ISO and CAN protocols.

So you can diagnose any car. That's why I went for it. I can see they offer now USB one. When I was buying there was serial port only.

·
Registered
26 Posts
gang said:
Thanks.

Stephan625, how long did the first replaced throttle body last?

Kris, the scanner I use is Elmscan-5 by scantool.net.

The first one went at 13,000 miles and the new one was put in at 33,000 miles.

Lets hope it doesn't happen again, I took a glance down at the price (luckily it was under warrenty) but it was around $600.

·
Registered
32 Posts
gang said:
Yesterday, the SES light went on right after engine started. The car seemed to behave normally. It's a 2005 MO with 15.5k mi. I hooked it up to the OBD and the error codes are P1121 and P2135. The FSM says errors are cause by throttle actuator and throttle sensor, respectively. My guess is that the on-board computer sends the command to open the throttle by a certain amount but the sensor feedback indicates a different amount, and the discrepancy caused the error code. I reset it today and it hasn't come back after a few starts and a short drive. I certainly hope this is just a glitch and not a true defect. Quickly looking through the service bulletin didn't find anything relevant. Any ideas?

Hi, yesterday (08/28/2006) my Murano did the same thing. After filling up at my local gas station I started the car and began to drive away but instantly noticed what seemed a drop in response and the VDC and SES lights were on. I stopped the car and restarted to find that the VDC had gone out but the SES light remained on. My dealer is not far away so I drove there at a reduced pace and after arriving they checked the car with a compter thingy connected to under the dash and they printed out the error codes and info. Apparently this has happened over here with some cars after filling up at the gas station and the dealer is saying that the system must be picking up a static charge from the pump which is affecting the fuel and throttle position sensors etc.. They said that on certain very dry days there can be static charges on the gas pumps (dangerous??) that when the nozzle comes in contact with the filler that this zap occurs. They said it can't really be anything else as it always seems to happen straight after a fill up. Anyhow they reset the system, checked everything and road tested and all is OK now..good as gold and heaps of punch!!

I don't know whether others on this forum have had this problem after filling up but it does seem to make sense??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well the first time it happened to my '05 a very similar thing happened. I had just filled up with gas got in the car, started it up and every light on the display was lit up. I thought well thats odd so I shut the car off, restarted it and everything was fine for about 10 seconds and then the SES light came on.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
I would like to believe the engineers who designed the MO have adequately protected it's electronics from freak discharges of static electricity. Maybe I am wrong.

-njjoe

·
Registered
32 Posts
POLL

Stephan625 said:
Well the first time it happened to my '05 a very similar thing happened. I had just filled up with gas got in the car, started it up and every light on the display was lit up. I thought well thats odd so I shut the car off, restarted it and everything was fine for about 10 seconds and then the SES light came on.

It would be of interest to run a POLL to see how many members on this forum have had the same or similar experience after filling up at the gas station!!

Perhaps a moderator could run one?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
i sure as heck havn't, everytime the code somes up it's friggen hot outside... but it is very dry also. the code came up again about 4 days ago so it sure as heck couldn't have been the z-tube that caused the problem cuz that's been removed and the JWT filter only remains.... looks like i'm getting a new TP sensor..... man it's been a rough week with the cars.. first the SES light in the MO AGAIN!! and today the truck just totally dies(it;s the weirdest thing... started turning over then just went completely kaput... not even the sweet sounds of a solenoid firing and the only light that was abale to come on in the whole truck was the SES light, not even the dome ore headlights would turn on-i did check all the fuses and they're fine-... although i could hear a sparking buzz from the engine fuse box area... any ideas on what the problem may be please PM me)

·
Registered
32 Posts
SHUT DOWN!

Computer controlled cars have their pros and cons. What would happen if the Gov. decided no more driving due to state of emergency and shut down all of the modern cars via satellite? Interesting possibility?? :eek:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
14 Participants
MuranoSL2003
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing