Nissan Murano Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a Transmission Control Module (TCM) issue. The codes are as follows:

P1778 -- STEP MOTOR FNC
P1715 -- IN PULLY SPEED
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought P1778 was the code that meant the valve body was having a problem, and that there was a different code that pertained specifically to the step motor. Either that, or maybe I read that in most cases, the P1778 code resulted in the valve body needing replacing, and not the step motor.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Driving away from the mechanic garage, the check engine light came on, AWD light on, ABS light on.
got codes read P1778 & P1715.
Seabrook, I was trying to think of all the little things that happened to MO, and I remembered that when my driver's-front speed sensor went bad, my ABS light and AWD light came on, but not the SES light. I was stuck in AWD mode for four days while I waited for the parts from Amazon (I bought the other front speed sensor just to have), and my gas mileage was horrible and I could hear the added noise and feel the vibration from the transfer case and rear diff as they stayed engaged. Due to no snow on the ground when it happened, I drove very carefully, and made sure to take any sharp corner (such as making a right turn from a traffic light/stop sign) insanely slow so as not to make my tires skip or snag on the dry surface, as that could damage the drivetrain. Since I didn't get an SES code, I have nothing to offer there. But, if you're still getting the AWD and ABS lights, it's likely you have a bad speed sensor. In my case, I noticed that the very bottom end/tip of my driver's-side coil spring was missing (about 3" long), and it proably hit the speed sensor wire when it broke off. When I removed that sensor, the wire was partially severed. If you rarely-to-never use AWD (that is, lock the AWD on with the button near the shifter) it's possible you've got transfer case issues. When I lived in CA, I never used the AWD. Then about four years into having MO, I decided to press the AWD button while driving straight, and the noise it made was horrendous, and I immediately turned off AWD. A few months later, my transfer case needed to be replaced under warranty due to a leak. Just FYI stuff...

BTW, here are the sensors I bought:

Pass front
Amazon.com: AIP Electronics ABS Anti-Lock Brake Wheel Speed Sensor Compatible Replacement For 2003-2007 Nissan Murano Front Right Passenger Oem Fit ABS147: Automotive

Driver's front
Amazon.com: APDTY 081252 ABS Sensor With Wiring Harness Fits Front Left (Driver-Side) 2003-2007 Nissan Murano (Replaces 47911-CA000, 47911CA000): Automotive

21 - 22 of 22 Posts