Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody!

i have put Sinclair gas (90) in my MO a few times and it seems to work better than others. a sticker on the pump says the gas has an additive called "SG 2000". anybody know what that is and if it is OK for MO?

thanks!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Andy-

The following is from the Sinclair website:

"Sinclair Gasoline with SG-2000 Detergent Additive.
All Sinclair gasolines are fortified with SG-2000, the latest clean-up and keep-clean gasoline additive. SG-2000 prevents intake valve deposits, keeps fuel injectors and carburetors clean, helps control exhaust emissions and protects against corrosion. Using the BMW test procedure, the Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio, Texas has proven that Sinclair gasolines meet the Unlimited Mileage Criteria."

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I wonder if that is the active ingredient for "Top Tier" gasoline?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
biggun said:
I wonder if that is the active ingredient for "Top Tier" gasoline?
biggun,

Surprisingly, the answer is no. Sinclair is not recognized as a "Top Tier" Detergent Gasoline Retailer.

The "Top Tier" Gasoline Retailers are listed below:
QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Jiffy Mart
Mahalo
Tri-Par Oil Company
Shell-Canada

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Joe,

I have that list too. But, I thought with the "BMW test" quote that it may be.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
biggun-

I thought the same thing when I first saw that. Especially since BMW is one of the four automakers who worked to develop the "Top Tier" standard. Maybe they are in the process of being certified.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Top Tier is not a particular agent or detergent, but rather a certification that a particular brand or grade of gasoline (gasoline of course refers to what comes out of the pump, which is really gasoline+additives) will keep the level of deposits to a low level over a certain period. The actual gasoline every station sells is basically the same stuff, but its the detergents that go into it which makes the difference. The Top Tier standard was drawn up by GM, BMW, and Toyota I believe, but I also read somewhere else that BMW's deposits standard is among the toughest, so if a gasoline passes that test, its will likely meet Top Tier standards as well.

Every brand uses a different buzzword for their proprietary gasoline additive - Chevron uses Techron, 76 calls it ProPower, Shell calls it V-Power, etc...

Chevron is the only oil company to market their gasoline branded detergent in the aftermarket as well - with their Techron line of fuel additives you can buy at the local Autozone or Kragen. Valvoline also markets Synpower fuel detergent - but you say Valvoline doesn't sell gas? It actually does, under the brand name Marathon, which has stations in the Midwest.

Interestingly, the biggest oil company, Exxon Mobil, is not on the Top Tier list, although its likely they also meet the standard as well.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Just because a company is not listed in the "Top Tier" list does not mean that the gas you are using is not "Top Tier" quality. To be on the list, ALL of the grades of your fuel sold at ALL of your stations (in the US and Canada, I think) have to meet the top tier standards.

So it's entirely possible that Sinclair has a grade or two of fuel that does meet the bar, but perhaps a grade or two that does not.

Or they simply haven't gone through the necessary testing and application process.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
"Or they simply haven't gone through the necessary testing and application process."

That is the clue. All of these things cost money, and not all oil companies are willing to spend it.
Read the thread on Amsoil where they justify not going through the API certification.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts