Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Love to live w/ MO
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well guys, i intended to ask this question during my first visits to this site but somehow it remained in my mind.

from what dealer told me, the Shift lock can be turned on by inserting a screw driver into the slot and it is supposed to be helpful during the towing of the MO.

but usually the tow trucks carry the 4x4 right up from their 4 wheels so it doesnt touch the road at all....

would anyone mind explaining why and how shift lock works ?

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Look it up in your manual. I read about it there. Don't remember all the details, but basically it's useful for getting the shift lever out of park if you can't otherwise do it.

Under normal conditions, you cannot shift out of Park unless the brake pedal is depressed. However, if your battery is dead, or some electrical failure happens, the signal of your brake pedal might not be received, and therefore you can't shift out of park. The "Shift Lock" lets you manually "unlock" the shifter so that you can move it to Neutral.

I hate tow trucks because they can mess up alignment and do all kinds of nasty things if the driver isn't careful with your vehicle (and let's face it, how many of them really care about your car anyway). I always opt for a wrecker if I can (meaning a flatbed truck of some sort). Your car needs to be in neutral in order for them to winch it up onto the truck. If you have no power to let that brake signal reach the shifter, you can use the Shift Lock to get it out of Park.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Corin said:

Under normal conditions, you cannot shift out of Park unless the brake pedal is depressed. However, if your battery is dead, or some electrical failure happens, the signal of your brake pedal might not be received, and therefore you can't shift out of park. The "Shift Lock" lets you manually "unlock" the shifter so that you can move it to Neutral.

You nailed it perfectly!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts