Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2003 murano so of course there is no tiptronic or what they call a "shiftronic". I really like to play around with it though! especially when they gave me the G35 for the day as they were fixing up my MO. great service at my dealer.

anyways, i was wondering how shiftronic works in the MO. i thought the MO uses the CVT which is a one gear Continously Variable Transmission. if there is only one gear, how can it be 6 speed?

thanks in advance
just trying to gain some knowledge

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
They will use different computer profiles I would imagine.
Don't believe it will effectivly do anything much other than "involve" the driver, which is always good of course.
But i cannot believe that it will gain anything in 0-60, 1/4 mile etc.
It "might" be of some help in the twistys I suppose. At least psycholologically if nothing else.
All conjecture of course.

Homer

·
Registered
255 Posts
Personally I really like just having D, Ds, and L. The great thing about the CVT is that it doesn't shift gears. I think the Shiftronic would just ruin the things that make the CVT, as it is right now, so great. If you still have D, Ds, and a shift gate then it may be cool every now and again, but I like just love the fact that if I want to pass or just have some fun I just throw it in to Ds and forget about it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
There will be 6 fixed "gear" ratio for the driver to select.

This totally defeat the purpose of having the CVT, but it gives the driver more control, like downshifting or holding a gear when cornering.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Tiptronic was fun on Audi

Audi with CVT was fun with the tiptronic. It lets you "downshift" when you want... cornering, accelerating, deccelerating... gives you more control, which is always a good thing or a fun thing.

·
5,268 Posts
It will be CVT with a number of "profiles". We already have 3 - D, Ds and L. I am not sure what to think about it. As somebody stated before - it totally defeat the purpose of CVT. I do not think performance will improve either.

I just got back from Georgia Mountains drive - 200 miles. Average 22.5 mpg. Very good result considering the terrain. What more important the CVT worked wonders! I drove at D all the time except steep descent where I dropped to Ds. I could not believe it how the MO and CVT behaved on a twisty road. Steering first class, CVT - better than i thought it would be. I really do not need "shiftronic". The CVT has it all!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Re: Tiptronic was fun on Audi

rainbowfarm said:
Audi with CVT was fun with the tiptronic. It lets you "downshift" when you want... cornering, accelerating, deccelerating... gives you more control, which is always a good thing or a fun thing.
So does that mean that in those instances that people usually shift into Ds (passing, getting onto the highway, etc.), you could just "downshift" and get the same result?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yes, that's what it means

Mosh.

·
4,664 Posts
Except you're downshifting into a fixed ratio (Sort of) so you lose the intelligence of the Ds mode of the CVT.

Don't know if anyone else has tried it, but if you really want to rev the engine, start off in L and hammer it. The computer won't let you redline. It's like a Dss mode.

I love how it works this way and Ds. I don't want fixed ratios, as it takes away the advantage. Jatco's (Nissan) CVT is so smart, I flip between D and Ds often and it works very predictably and well. Great for engine braking when you see that RADAR trap down the road....

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also use L to DS then D often and yes the computer will not let you redline. The owners manual tells use to NEVER use L for anything other than downhill breaking. Anyone have any thoughts as to how the use of L might have an adverse effect on the CVT?

·
4,664 Posts
Considering D S L are just three computer programs for controlling the same hardware, I'm not so sure that there's any major concerns.

I wouldn't drive around in L constantly, as it keeps your engine revs pretty high, but other than that... Maybe more wear? I'm not too worried about it.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
wish there was a way to just recommend a post.
I don't have anything to add. Just wanted to give Jaak an amen.

Homer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts