Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a LONG winter and now that Spring is slowly showing up, so are potholes or pavement breaks. Not sure if it is just
the potholes or if my shocks require replacing but there seems to be more noise than usual. Being in the 'truck' category I know
I can't expect a Cadillac ride and that's fine with me! I am using Michelin Latitude tires at 33 psi.
My question finally is, would it help the ride to replace the shocks and if so any suggestions as to brand? Thanks.

·
Administrator
9,583 Posts
What's the mileage? Where do you live? What are the roads like??

Reactions: 2007se

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for stopping by Pilgrim. Mileage 120,000 km or 75,000mi. Central Canada, roads are normally quite good but as I said this Winter
seems to have raised hell with the roads. It never has been a Caddy ride but as I said I like the car so dont have a major problem with that but
if it could be better I would be willing to look at new ones. Cheers/Bill

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
What size tires do you have?

20" tires have a much stiffer ride than 18" tires.

·
Administrator
9,583 Posts
Thanks for the info. Normally at 75K miles the shocks should be OK, but if it has been driven on bad roads a lot they could be worn.

Good point about 20" vs. other tires...the shorter the sidewalls, the more harsh the ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all! They are due for replacement next summer so will consider 18. I do like the bit of extra height look to the car with the 20's. Normally the ride is
quite good but hitting the holes or cracks in the pavement is rougher than I recall it being before. I have heard (from the dealer!) that Nokian Nok 1 are
a good summer tire and supposedly fairly quiet. I love the 18 inch Nokians for our winters here, ice and snow. Thanks again for your info.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Thanks all! They are due for replacement next summer so will consider 18. I do like the bit of extra height look to the car with the 20's. Normally the ride is
quite good but hitting the holes or cracks in the pavement is rougher than I recall it being before. I have heard (from the dealer!) that Nokian Nok 1 are
a good summer tire and supposedly fairly quiet. I love the 18 inch Nokians for our winters here, ice and snow. Thanks again for your info.
Before purchasing my '19 I test drove a 3rd gen with 18" tires. When I got my '19 with 20" tires I immediately noticed I felt every bump and road irregularity. But I enjoyed the quicker steering response (due to the lower sidewall,) I liked that aspect a lot. I adapted fairly quickly to the firmer ride, and like the tradeoffs of 20" vs 18" tires.

However, 18" tires a much better winter choice, the higher sidewall helps absorb potholes better to prevent wheel damage.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I have the 20-inchers on my 2021 SL with Firestone Destiination LE3 tires, and while I can feel cracks in the road, the sensations feel cushioned and not shocking/hard. If you haven't already done so, check the tire pressure and perhaps reduce each tire to produce a slightly softer experience. I keep my tires at 37PSI, but during hotter months it's more difficult to maintain that pressure due to heat, so they usually max out at 39. However, I wouldn't want to reduce the PSI to 35 in order to achieve 37 during hot months, since I like the responsive handling better at the higher PSI.

I have read at least one thread where it was said the original rear shocks are "blowing out" prematurely, forcing a need to replace them. If your issue is only with the rear, perhaps they're failing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks CyroG 1, appreciate your comments. The Nissan tire pressure specs for this 2014 is 33-34--I keep them in that range. You must have a higher range if you are at 37? I am planning to get
a test on my shocks. My next question will be, can a dealer really tell if they need replacing or might some dealers say they do just to get a sale--my abilities under the hood or under the chassis are pretty well zero😀 Cheers.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Today I did the 2nd rotation of the LE3 tires, and during that time with the wheesl/tires off, I use WD-40 silicone spray to coat everything I can see that's rubber. CV boots, steering boots, sway bar bushings and links, tierod ends, control arm bushings, coil spring seats (upper and lower), front strut mounting points, etc. Perhaps just a mind fix, but everytime I do this and drive it for the first time, everything just feels extra smooth and quiet. :D

With my 2003 AWD SE stock wheels/tires, I kept the PSI at 34.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Nissan spec for 3rd gen 20" tires is 35 PSI. Like Cryo, I run mine a couple of pounds higher.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
My next question will be, can a dealer really tell if they need replacing or might some dealers say they do just to get a sale--my abilities under the hood or under the chassis are pretty well zero😀 Cheers.
If the rear shocks aren't leaking or broken, open the hatch and just push down on each inside corner (or jump/bounce on it) to see if you hear anything odd. Yeah, a dealer might just like to have a sale... Tough call.

·
Administrator
9,583 Posts
Running slightly higher pressures than on the door sticker is safe, but may perceptibly increase road harshness. Max pressure allowable for the tires you have is clearly shown on the sidewalls; usually 44 PSI.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
The 3rd gens suspension is much better than my 1st gen IMO, it absorbs everything nicely, you just have a lot of road feel with the 20 inchers. I've grown to like it. However, my1st gen was a more nimble IMO, and I miss that a bit...

Reactions: PaulDay

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's been a LONG winter and now that Spring is slowly showing up, so are potholes or pavement breaks. Not sure if it is just
the potholes or if my shocks require replacing but there seems to be more noise than usual. Being in the 'truck' category I know
I can't expect a Cadillac ride and that's fine with me! I am using Michelin Latitude tires at 33 psi.
My question finally is, would it help the ride to replace the shocks and if so any suggestions as to brand? Thanks.
Hello, I have a 2012 with 200k km on it. The suspension on my car got noisier/clunkier over last few months. Initially, I thought the end links needed to be replaced. My mechanic confirmed the end links were good and the front struts (shocks) may need replacement. I booked an appointment with him to get the struts replaced. He called me back 2 hours later that the struts were good and he only had to replace the bushings that go on top of the struts. Cost me less than half what new struts would've cost. Noise is gone and the car drives like new. Had I taken it to my dealership they would've replaced the whole struts. I'd suggest find a good indy mechanic and get his opinion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts