Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) Does anybody else get shocked (static electricity) every time they get out of the Murano? I have figured out a few ways to "discharge" so that I can avoid the shock, but it is a little annoying when I forget. n Thanks for any help!

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Yes, got it all the time...

I have to ground myself to the window frame everytime i open the door, or else when i put my hand on the exterior door metal, i got static shock.

Do you have the cloth seat?
The theory is: cloth induce more static electricity.

·
4,664 Posts
Even leather interior owners have reported this, but not quite as severe...

I get zapped all through the year...

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
I have a friend that added a conductive strap that drags on the ground, He says it work fine. GRIP :D

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
That is probably a good idea...

I have a friend that added a conductive strap that drags on the ground, He says it work fine. GRIP
Imagine that if your body still have that static charge and you open the gas cap and fill up the gas. And there is a bit of gas spill out .. BAM!!! one heck of explosion.

Knowing that MO always give me static charge/shock, before filling up, i usually touch the door frame for around 5 seconds to ground my self . Just stand there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Maybe it is just the dry air up here in Minnesota during the fall and winters but every car I have owned has been "shocking".
I haven't heard of any one car being better or worse than another.
As stated before I have seen that leather makes a big difference.
The MO with leather had been 100x better than my old altima!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the cloth seats and at first, the static charge shock was very bad. It mostly has went away on the driver's side as the fabric has worn, but still bad on the passenger side and rear doors that are not used as often. One trick that will help is to take a couple of laundry fabric softener/static cling free sheets and wipe over the seats. Anti-static spray for industrial use is also available, but it leaves a lot of unpleasant fumes and odors. Not recommended in areas that are not well ventilated.

Whatever you do, make sure to find a safe way to discharge yourself when you get out of your car at a gas filling station. Fires at service stations due to static discharge are not all that uncommon.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Very humid here

and I get popped every time. During the summer it wasn't that bad, but as soon as it got cool, it cranked right back up. I discharge with my palm on the top corner of my door when I get out--less nerve endings there.
:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's not just seats, but static charges can be induced by floor mats (rubber or cloth) and various types of soled shoes.

Add in some dry air and bada-BING... :)

·
4,664 Posts
There's a couple of things I do, depending on how I'm getting out.

The most common is using the end of my key to discharge, as the distribed current flow to the large contact area of the key, isn't so bad as the point source spark off the end.

Another is hold the door by a metal part, e.g. the frame, when stepping out. Or just leaning into it with my shoulder as that isn't as bad.

Conductive strips work to discharge, or even a small thin chain attached somewhere underneath, to leak out the voltage.

I have developed habits to deal with it, so I don't even notice now.

I wonder if different tires affect this. Anyone who's replaced their stock tires found a change?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Funny but I have had other cars that shocked me but now that you mention it the MO has never shocked me. I have cloth seats. I think it has alot to do with the way you get out of the car. If you drag your arsh from the seat you will build up charge if you pick it up no static build up.

So everyone who is getting a zap stop dragging your arsh!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
On my 97 Maxima with cloth seats, I would get zapped all the time. With the Murano, it has not been a issue, but I do have the leather seats.

·
5,100 Posts
That explosion while filling up is actually a reality. If you do a Google you will be amazed at the incidents. GRIP :D

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
One time on a drizzly San Francisco evening, I went to fill up the Maxima and as I brought the pump nozzle to the filler tube, a spark jumped from the nozzle to the gas cap door! I nearly had a heart attack, which I must say was preferrable to third degree burns!

To prevent static buildup, there are signs at gas stations which say do not get back in your car while filling up. There's also the myth about cell phones igniting gas fumes when they ring, that was debunked on Mythbusters.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Scrib said:
It's not just seats, but static charges can be induced by floor mats (rubber or cloth) and various types of soled shoes.
I use to have the same problem with my Maxima (leather seats). I found that the type of shoes I wear made the difference. I had a pair that has a hard foam like sole, which always created a static shock. But my rubber sole shoes have no problem.

Try buying new shoes.:D

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
My GF told me to apply some hand lotion to prevent dryness on the palm...

Thus, "well moistured hand retain less or no static charge"...
I tried that, and it does help :p
If you dont mind to smell good like your gf/wife, this probably a good solution hehehe....

I use to have the same problem with my Maxima (leather seats). I found that the type of shoes I wear made the difference. I had a pair that has a hard foam like sole, which always created a static shock. But my rubber sole shoes have no problem.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Static

Mine is horrible, I have vowed to my wife never to buy another vehicle with this type of fabric, or I'm going leather from here on out. I live in Florida where the humidity is usually higher than the temp. and I get this shock all year round. I love the Murano, but I hate the shock. I thought that I was going to fry the ignition last week as I reached down to pull the key out. It definitely wakes you up.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Eric L. said:
One time on a drizzly San Francisco evening, I went to fill up the Maxima and as I brought the pump nozzle to the filler tube, a spark jumped from the nozzle to the gas cap door! I nearly had a heart attack, which I must say was preferrable to third degree burns!

To prevent static buildup, there are signs at gas stations which say do not get back in your car while filling up. There's also the myth about cell phones igniting gas fumes when they ring, that was debunked on Mythbusters.
The cell phone thing is a myth... however the biggest issue that results in ingury from a spark is when filling up the tank. The person sees a spark and from a natural reaction pulls the pump out of the car while still holding the pump lever! That causes gas to be sprayed and poured all over the place. Now you have a big problem.

If you see a spark, try to just let go of the pump and back away.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here in the south where it's usually humid, this happens in the cooler parts of the year when we get high pressure and dry air after a cool front. Happens with the MO and my other car, both leather interiors. I usually just touch the door frame with my forearm or elbow after I get out of the car, which discharges the static without the pain one gets from discharging the same charge through the fingers.

·
5,100 Posts
Maybe their is a conductive spray to put on the seats that plus a grounding strap should do it. You would think the manufactures would be worried with all the solid state electronics on the cars. Humans can store about 202,000 ergs @ up to 18,000 volts!!! that is enough to fry some IC's GRIP :D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts