Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

It's been awhile since I posted. I have some bad news. During the last storm here in Northern Virginia. I wrecked my Mo. I lost control on the ice and went into a ditch. I tried to recover but it was too late. I ended up on the opposite side. I damaged rear-right quater panel and lights. Dinged up the passenger side doors. I bottomed out so I also damaged the front bumper and radiator. The worst damage was at the rear axel. They have to replace the whole thing. It's all covered by insurance. The cost of repairs is $7300 (US). Out of of pocket is very minimal. The shop doing the repair is one of the preferred body shops of my insurance company. They have a warranty on the repairs they make.

I have a couple of questions that maybe you can help me out on. That way I can make an informed decision as to keep my 2004 Murano

1)How will this accident affect the re-sale value of my car?
2)Will my car drive the same.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Why??

·
Registered
842 Posts
Jiggers
Sorry for responding to your post while you where still working on it.

First off, I hope that everyone was OK and it was just the MO that was hurt.

In regards to your note, it will depend on how well it was put back together and whether or not they find additional damage once they take it apart. You still may not be happy with it after repairs.

I don't know about the laws in your state, But in my province the body shop has to submit a report and indicate what was repaired. This report is available to anyone wanting to purchase a used vehicle to find out it's history.

I would think that it would effect the selling price. The question you would have to ask yourself is, Would you buy a car after you found out it had major repairs done on it after a accident?

Hopefully the body shop can fix your car up so that there are no issues.

Lets us know and good luck
:) :)

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
A. Yes, if they do a good job not much, depending on how long you keep it.

B.Depends on the Shop but should be yes.

When you say keep the MO, Are they willing to Total it. Wouldn't think so, Trade it in unfixed on an 05 or something else? Need info on the alternatives. Did any of the Air Bags deploy? Glad no injuries. Don

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident. I got hit by a school bus in my 1998 Maxima (back in 2001) and had $25,000(Cdn) in damage repaired. No cost to me since I was not at fault.

I don't want to scare you but the vehicle was never the same after the repairs. Alignment problems, steering problems, glass in the vents, and surprisingly lots of electronic problems. The cruise control didn't work, the seat heater sometimes worked, the car made beeping noises randomly when driving.

I did not want the vehicle back and was shocked the insurance company fixed it. I was really happy it was a lease with only 6 months left. I will always lease vehicles now as that one event was enough to convince me it is worth the extra cost. Plus I get a new vehicle every few years! :D

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident. Hopefully no one was hurt. For the rest, that is why we have insurance!

I (or should I say my better half!) have two major car wrecks with two different outcomes.

1- Honda CRV, had about $7,000 damage (original estimate was $5,000). Repair was done in prefered shop. Drove as good as new after repairso we kept the car for several years and sold it with no effect on resale value as the car was pretty high mileage by then.

2- Toyota 4-Runner, about $16,000 in damage (original estimate was $11,000). Repair was done in another prefered shop but not the same as last one. Drove differently and we decided to trade it in after just two weeks! Trade in value was about $4,000 less than it would have been without the wreck.

So to answer to your questions, don't take your insurance company's word for it. Get a list of several of their prefered shops in your area and check each one. Look at cars that are being repaired to see how well they are being done. If you find a shop that knows what they are doing, you should not see any difference between before and after drivability. Also, if you plan to keep the car for a long time (over 100K miles), it should not effect the resale value that much. What I would recommend is to take pictures of the car before and after repair. These pictures will do wonders in winning the trust of the person who may be buying your car from you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the concern guys. Luckily, I was the only one traveling when the accident happened and that no one else got hurt.

I do have this pain near my lower buttock. I did have it checked. The doctor gave me some bad news. He told me my wallet will never be the same again. 

Seriously though, the MO protected me during the crash. The side air bags deployed. It scared the begeebers out of me, even though the damage was far from me, I was glad it worked.

Stoker made a valid point. If the repairs come out nice I might still be happy with my MO. I did make sure they use OEM parts. Since the shop is willing to guarantee the work. I think the MO and I should be ok.

If the repairs don’t quite measure up? I was thinking of trading it in for a 2005 MO. The only issue is how much could I get for the car after the accident. The Blue Book I think for an SE AWD with all options except NAV and leather was 25k-26k. How much with it bring down the price? I have been hearing horror stories from office mates stating that the price basically gets cut in half.

Please let me know your thoughts.

P.S. One good thing came out of this. My GF gave me Hoen replacement bulbs for my fogs to match my Xenon HID’s. I was waiting for the weather to get better so I could put it in. I spoke with the shop guys and they will put in for me since the bumper is off anyway.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Lots of good info so far. IMHO, if you decide to get a new vehicle you will be further ahead by selling privately and disclosing the accident as opposed to a trade. Dealers will want full retail for the new MO and offer you wholesale or less for yours and not budge very much.

I had a vehicle repaired that had frame damage and drove it for a couple of years without any issues, so the quality of your repair may dictate whether you want to keep it or not.

Maybe hold off on the Hoens for the time being untill you decide if you are going to keep it.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
That is a good crash sensing system, Glad the Fronts didn't deploy, Makes the repair bigger and the reaction forces on the passenger side of the dash worry me as to squeaks in the future.

Don't forget to make sure they replace the seat belt pretensioners IF they fired also.

You sensitivities might be right on But to some extent I think you will have to wait and see. Anyway to may be a great excuse to get an 05. :D

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Sorry bout the MO. My 2 cents, If the frame was not damaged and the shop does a decent job, drive it and see. Everyone I know that had a bent frame said the car was never right again. It pulled this way or that way. Your frame was not bent, correct? If you see a big difference before and after, you'll never be happy. If you can't tell.....keep it.
Good luck
Bob1

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The frame wasn't damaged (bent). I did do a number on the rear axel. They are replacing the whole rear axel. That is where my concern lies. I never had a situation where an axel was replaced on a vehicle. I am not sure what this will do to the vehicle. I know I can't do much about the depreciation of the car from the accident so I will just have to go on from there.

From the advice everyone has given. I think I will postpone my decision to on what happens to the MO until I get it back. I guess I should have never listened to my co-worker's horror stories about cars never driving the same again after an accident too much.

I should be getting my MO back in 2-3 weeks. I am planning a trip to New York around that time. If there are any bugs, I should find out then. I know regular city driving won't give me the feedback I want. Along spirited drive on interstate 95 should do the trick.

I would like to thank everyone for thier concern and good advice. If you have further advice on what to look for as far as repairs please let me know.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got back from the body shop. The MO was completely disassembled. I know it sounds goofy but I could feel the pain of the car yet know that it was getting better. Am I too obsessed with the car or what?

The shop said I might the MO back a week sooner. I am not counting on that since I have shops tell me that before. It does look like they are doing a great job though. I am glad to see that they replaced the rear quarter panel instead of bang it out and bondo-ing it. The shop looks very competent as per my research. Wish I had my camera so could post the picture.

I also saw the new rear axel they are putting in. It is brand spanking new. The other partss still have the Nissan OEM box markings. That eased my mind somewhat, but I know this isn't over until the phat MO sings again.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'd rather wait longer and have it done right (hoopefully that's what it means). Remember, if you feel something isn't right - you need to address it right away with the insurance company and body shop.

·
4,601 Posts
Here's a tip that's too late for you, but good for others.

If you are in freezing rain and it's ice on the roads, besides slowing down and being gentle on the gas, make sure you manually engage the AWD. On ice, the Murano waits until the front wheels slip, then engages the rear wheels. It can cause some interesting vehicle dynamics, if you accelerate too hard for the conditions and don't understand this. That's part of the reason the switch exists, I'm sure.

It sucks that you banged it up. That's one of those gut sinking, oh @$#*&^ this is going to cost me and will it ever be the same, and now I have to chase this to get it done right, moments.

I feel for ya, Bro...:3:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How do you manually engage the AWD?. I did press the button? Is there something else I need to do?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Jiggers:

Let me add my sympathies on the accident. The key was that no one (i.e., you!) was hurt. Cars are replaceable. Speaking of which, since there was no frame damage and the repairs are being done by a reputable shop with OEM parts, you shouldn't notice any significant change in the vehicle's handling. I think the horror stories you're hearing are from co-workers who have experienced frame damage. The difference is amazing. I've been in a couple of wrecks in my 20+ years of driving. In one wreck where there was frame damage, the car acted more like a crab that a car (always wanting to go sideways!). In another wreck without frame damage (replaced body panels only) there was no difference in drivability. The important part is to make sure the repairs are done correctly. How do you know? Simple, if the car drives well after repairs and the systems work as intended, chances are they got it right. The warranty, of course, helps a tremendous amount.

BTW - to lock AWD (up to 19mph), you press the switch below the dash. Sounds like you had it on. Sometimes nothing can help when ice on roads is involved.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Jim C for nice pep talk and good advice. I will keep everyone posted. I am hoping to post pics after I get My MO back.

·
4,601 Posts
jiggers said:
How do you manually engage the AWD?. I did press the button? Is there something else I need to do?
No, you did the right thing, but that ice nailed you.

It happens to all of us, sooner or later. Even in TX!

Skid school training is helpful (and a lot of fun too!!!) if you want to enhance your driving skills. I know for a fact, it's saved me some damage... Knowing what to do when, won't always save you, but often will.

For me, motocrossing saved my behind on a street motorcycle. I hit oil all over a corner and ended up sliding sideways across a couple of lanes of traffic, finally stopping on the other side, next to the curb.

That'll give you an adrenaline rush.

Skid school didn't help me in my Maxima when someone slammed my right rear quarter panel and put me into a spin at 60 MPH. Spun, bounced off the median across 6 lanes of heavy traffic to the other side. Three things went through my head. 1) I'm going to get creamed by a transport truck. 2) This thing's smooth even in a spin. 3) Nissan's "Enjoy the Ride" campaign from years back.

So yeah, you don't want your vehicle messed up, but ultimately, it's better that, than you. Hopefully you can find a good shop. Take pictures if you can, of the damage. Look underneath when you get it back to make sure they replaced all the damaged parts, not just the ones you can see from the outside. When I got my Maxima back, I opened the hood and told them to replace some more bent parts. They said "It's made that way." I said "No, I made it that way, it's your job to put it back to the way Nissan made it." They were replaced.

So keep an eye on them. Even if you think they're a great shop.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
55 Posts
jiggers,
Echoing everyone's thoughts, I'm glad no one got hurt. I just survived being t-boned by a semi in central Iowa a few weeks ago. It was in my work van, I lost control on black ice, started sliding sideways, and the semi was kind enough to knock me into the center median. The van of course was totaled. The frame structure was jutting out from the passenger side.
To ease your mind while your MO goes through this surgical procedure, why not ask the body shop for previous customers' numbers or emails. This way you can see if they're happy with the outcome, and if there were any issues with workmanship. This might give you some ammo in case of problems down the road.

Good luck!

Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's been more than a month since the MO has been in the shop for repairs. When I took my Mo to Loudoun Auto body for repairs, I spoke to previous customers to get feedback on thie shop's work. It eased my pain that they got very good reviews. I am really fustrated that they are still not done with my car. My patience is really wearing thin.

I know my concern should be that they fix it right the first time. I just can't help that I still have no vehichle. I miss having the MO. Now that I vented, is there anything I can do to hurry these guys up? Should I call my insurance company? Is there anything they could do to expidite matters? :3:

Let me know your thoughts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts