Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Been reading the forums the last couple of days and have learned alot. Alot of good info here.

I have decided for the most part to get a New Murano at the end of June (figure it will be the best time, end of month and quarter, and will have time to save up to put a little cash down).

My question is should I wait for the 2006's(when are they expected to hit by the way?) or go ahead and grab a 2005. I read that the interior will be updated a little on the 2006's, although I cannot find any specifics on what that update will be. Anyone here know?

I am looking to get a SL with the touring package. Color preference is Platinum, Black, Merlot... in that order. All with black interior... maybe latte for the Merlot. I have already test driven an AWD and I loved it. Is there a noticable difference between the FWD and AWD? I will test drive a FWD before I buy it, just to be sure.

I have become concerned about the CVT and alternator (from posts on this site) on the Murano, not to mention the rattles and noises that seem to be present on the vehicle. Although I must say when driving, I usually have NIN blasting... so I can deal with the noises. ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can purchase a factory extended warranty at a later date and not the day of purchase. Correct? I will put approximately 27,000 miles/year on the car. I'll probably get the lonest warranty available.

Thanks for any input/insight you guys can give.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Well, about this time last year I was asking the same question: Should I get a 2004 now, or wait a little while for the 2005?

I waited, but the only thing that changed for me was that I was able to get the new platinum color, which I really like. I was hoping that they would allow me to add the VDC package and/or the backup camera and/or the TPMS without having to upgrade to the touring package (I hate leather) but no, did not happen.

The 2005 didn't come out until November (or the very end of October) and I think the 2004 was about the same timeframe, so I really think that's the biggest question you need to answer for yourself. Is it worth it to you to wait that long just to see what happens in the 2006? If nothing changes, will you be kicking yourself for waiting so long? If you buy a 2005, then find out 6 months later that the 2006 changed for the better, will you be kicking yourself for not waiting?

Yeah, that's right, I'm not being helpful to you at all! :D But my opinion would be that either way the worst possibility is that you'll essentially be giving up a feature or two that you would have preferred on the other model year, but that you'll enjoy your MO so much that it will only bother you for 5 minutes and you'll completely forget about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If they are coming out that late, odds are I will not wait. I need to get out of my current car (2003 Explorer Sport Trac). I just wish I knew what the upgrade was gonna be... oh well.

I'll have some negative equity to deal with, but at this point I don't care. Plus, more than likely I'll be able to get a Murano for under invoice. :cool:

Thanks for the post... helpful or not. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
When I was waiting I kept thinking "they should at least be releasing the details soon..." But they didn't until RIGHT before it was available, so I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you.

Start looking for a 2005, and if the perfect car comes along at the perfect price, go for it. If it doesn't, let it sit for a while. You want the car, but you can afford the time. You're in the perfect position. Dealers will hate you because they can't pressure you. Enjoy it! :)

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The only possible change for the 2006 I can imagine will be a switch to the JDM/Euro controls on the center stack. Not a huge difference really.

Now, Nissan did note when it came out with the Euro market Murano that certain suspension changes had been made for better high speed stability (autobahn speeds) and that these changes will make their way to the US version eventually. Whether this will happen in 2006 is up in the air. Nissan has released no details.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
this is what i think..

Murano is halfway its life cycle. The 2006 model will have mid cycle refresh looks (interior) and who knows engine HP increase :4:

Personally, if I am in your shoes, I will wait until nov 05.
When the 06 murano are coming in, walk into a dealership and take a look at the changes. If there are not significant to you, ask the dealer on deals for the leftover 05s. The bad on this is you may not get the color of your 1st choice. Last tme i check, platinum is a hot seller, silver is second.

When i was buying my 03 in nov 04, i got $1000 below invoice and maintenance coupons deal worth around $500 in voucher. (until 60K miles). I think you can do better.

Good luck, dont forget to post pic when you bring her home :p

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm curious how the 2006's will be changed. I've been considering trading in my 2004 SE AWD for a 2006 SL AWD when they come out assuming they've made enough changes to warrant the cost. I like the SE but I don't feel like I really need it. I don't do the kind of driving that would warrant a stiffer "sport-style" suspension, I think the softer ride of the SL would be just fine for me. The "manual shifting" is kinda fun, but I really only play with that on rare occasions (some kid in a 4-cyl that thinks it's a sports car and thinks he's going to beat me up the on-ramp and "stuff" me... lol) and sometimes in mountain driving to give better engine braking. I can probably get a similar effect from the SL's DS and DL settings, no?

There are enough minor changes between the 04 and 05 to make me wish I had waited, so I'm holding out until the 06's to make my decision.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Eric L. said:
Now, Nissan did note when it came out with the Euro market Murano that certain suspension changes had been made for better high speed stability (autobahn speeds) and that these changes will make their way to the US version eventually. Whether this will happen in 2006 is up in the air. Nissan has released no details.
That's kind of interesting considering the US version rides on T-rated tires and has a 118 (117?) mph cut-off on the governor. :) I don't think I'd take my MO around at Autobahn speeds in any case -- yes it's built on a car platform but it WILL roll over if pushed too hard, and being FWD primarily with AWD part-time, you're not going to get any 140mph power slides out of it. LOL Anyone familiar with the Virgin River Gorge between Las Vegas and St. George, Utah can appreciate this statement:

I have never been as scared and excited at the same time as I was during a ride along with a friend of mine who was famous for his "150 mph Gorge" runs in his 2003 Callaway Corvette Z06.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Yeah I know no one will be driving their Murano that fast, but that doesn't mean the enhanced suspension won't pay off in everyday driving as well. Generally higher speed rated tires perform better in everyday driving as well.

special-k said:

That's kind of interesting considering the US version rides on T-rated tires and has a 118 (117?) mph cut-off on the governor. :) I don't think I'd take my MO around at Autobahn speeds in any case -- yes it's built on a car platform but it WILL roll over if pushed too hard, and being FWD primarily with AWD part-time, you're not going to get any 140mph power slides out of it. LOL Anyone familiar with the Virgin River Gorge between Las Vegas and St. George, Utah can appreciate this statement:

I have never been as scared and excited at the same time as I was during a ride along with a friend of mine who was famous for his "150 mph Gorge" runs in his 2003 Callaway Corvette Z06.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input... I really appreciate it. More than likely I'm just gonna go ahead and get one at the end of June. Unless Nissan reveals their changes and I get my interest peaked.

I dont think there are any changes that would make me wait... unless nav becomes free. ;)

That's really the only other thing I would want that makes a difference to me. Right now I just can't spend the 2k extra it costs... as much as I love it. I have a Dell Axim X50v that I can get GPS for anyways if I decide I need it that bad.

If we weren' heading to the Keys for a dive trip on this coming Monday I'd probably get one this month. In due time...

Thanks again everyone!! And I'll definitely post pics when I bring her home. I'm gonna try to have a carbon-fiber bra for her when she gets here. :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've got no experience with the current or past US models. But if the suspension on my UK one is coming to the US which all reports point to be available in the 2006 model....I'd say...WAIT!!!!

This thing corners seriously well. There are so many round-abouts in the UK that I know this very well now. I don't know whether any are in the US, but this car is on rails....

As we now have more than 1500 miles on the clock (in a figure of speech) I am 'trashing' it about and it goes like stink...I've taken it up to 125mph with plenty of go left but traffic became too dense...Really stable at those speeds...

Also I had a bit of a traffic light boy racer style race with a Cayenne and I blew it away on the first corner....He had to hit his brakes and I just sailed through...My guess is that it was only the 3.2 Cayenne as even the accelleration was quicker, but cornering is definitely better I think....

I know it is hard, but wait for the changes...Just rent a car in the mean time or buy a cheap inbetween, done that many times myself...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Here is what I got from Autoweek.

2006 Murano: Hybrid model with epa rating of 30/38 mpg for FWD and 29/36 for AWD, new interior with choice of Burlwood, Brushed Aluminum and Japanese Wild Wood accent, four new colors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow... A hybrid. That would be nice. But I dont have the extra cash or inclination to fork over the additional amount that would be. Hybrids just aren't financially feasible yet. I do think it's cool that alot of the auto makers are making hybrids.

Maybe my second Murano will be a Hybrid. :)

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Could it be that Nissan is bringing the Altima hybrid's Toyota powertrain over here quicker? Toyota just announced the 2007 Camry will have a hybrid, maybe Nissan is speeding up deployment of the upcoming 2.5L hybrid model.

·
Registered
433 Posts
You could wait until 2025 when the flying MO's come out:p

Seriously, rumor mill has it that the body style is changing for the 2007. Is that true?

·
Registered
834 Posts
I hear there is an interior update comming 2006/07?

Coness said:
You could wait until 2025 when the flying MO's come out:p

Seriously, rumor mill has it that the body style is changing for the 2007. Is that true?

·
Registered
115 Posts
There is a major interior update coming.

First and the most important update is location of navigation/information panel. It has been moved and relocated between spedometer and techometer gauge. Sound has been updated too. Bose option will come with SoundStage technogoly with ten speakers. Navigation has been updated with Active Navigation technology. I dont know what that means if i find more info ill post here.

Im digging most of this info from Autoweek and motortrend.com if i find more info ill post here.

I think murano will be the best selling crossover if all of this is true

·
4,664 Posts
I just hope they don't move the instruments to the center of the dash... That would stop me from gettting another one.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Digital said:
There is a major interior update coming.

First and the most important update is location of navigation/information panel. It has been moved and relocated between spedometer and techometer gauge. Sound has been updated too. Bose option will come with SoundStage technogoly with ten speakers. Navigation has been updated with Active Navigation technology. I dont know what that means if i find more info ill post here.

Im digging most of this info from Autoweek and motortrend.com if i find more info ill post here.

I think murano will be the best selling crossover if all of this is true
That sounds really, really nasty...My assumption is that either the screen will become a lot smaller or the instrument are miles apart...

·
Registered
758 Posts
sounds like Pacifica

Sounds like they are taking a Page from the Chrysler Pacifica with the Placement of the NAV. I believe that is where the Nav is on that vehicle.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts