Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I have a questions. First a little history. Got My MO in march and since that time have had 2 accidents neither of which was my fault!!. First was in August and was clipped in the left front corner. Had that fixed with little problem. Yesterday, I had the unfirtunate luck ogf stopping some fleeing nak robber with my MO. They struck the driver's side and did some damage tot he driver's door, rear door on that side and extensive damage to the fender. The wheel and tire on that side were at about a 45 degree angle to vertical. Needless to say, the side and side curtain airbags deployed(luckily) and I ended up with only a slight nick form broken glass. Anyway, my question: I had it towed to the body shop(same one I used before) and they took a look at it and did a estimate. They gave me a copy of it and was looking at it comparing it the the SM. I noticed that they did not includein the estimate replacement of the seat back frame, nor the diagnosis sensor unit which accordnign to the SM should be replaced. Do they need ot be? Could they be listed as something else, teh seat part being replacd are listed at the seat back pad and back cover w/ leather? Should I ask them about this? I am trying to expedite the repair since I was hoping to drive the MO transcontinental in 2 weeks :( . Any help/info would be appreciated, especially as to what should be replaced with side impact air bag deployment. Also, should I expect them to replace the driver's door in pieces or as a single unit?
Finally, In such sever suspension damage, are any parts reusable, they are replacing the knuckle, abs sensor, hub and bearing, low cntrl arm,, stay, strut and stabilizer arm. Are there any other components that might be involved?

Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks for all the help!!
Despiote the pparent bull's eye on my car, at least the safety seems really good.

P.S. they caught the bank robbers :D

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Hehe a crimefighting Murano!

Well its up to the body shop what they should replace. I suppose you could call the dealership and ask what is usually replaced, but its best to get a second opinion from another body shop if you want peace of mind.

If the service manual explicitly says to replace a certain part (i.e. its not reusable) then it should be replaced. If its a part that was not damaged and can be reused, most cheapskate insurance companies will not pay to replace it.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Sounds like your murano has been through quite an ordeal..

Any chance the frame is damaged and hence declare the car as total?

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
The crash detector should DEFINITELY be replaced they are NOT self reseting. In addition did the seat belt pre tensioner activate, ifso the retractor needs replacing also, If you were not alone check the passenger also. The total Side air bag (that to me means a total NEW Seat back) needs to be replaced. obviously all the coverings around the side curtain need replacing. IMHO if the collision shop is good then they are the best reference for all the other items. Good Luck on the two weeks. Get the complete date in writing with a rental vehicle supplied if not ready on time. Get in in the shop quick. GRIP :D P.S. why not the dealer? He should be very UP on the restrain system. As SugarRushMO says check the frame for alignment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. I saw it on tv. The other guys car looked worse.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I agree - I'd take it to a Nissan dealer.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Have you talked to the bank? maybe they would agree to buy you a new MO for publicity.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Glad the bad guys were stopped. Hey you can tell the bank you saw them getting away and you sacraficed the MO to stop them! If they don't buy you a new one, I hope the insurance totals the car. I have known too many cars with heavy damage and they never quite seem right when they are returned.
Keep us posted Muranoeric, the crime dog!

Bob1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts