Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Major Geek
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was admiring someone else's Murano shots here when I noticed the notch cut into the length of the doors for design. Then, after nearly 18 months, I noticed I have them, too!

For the folks who bought the side molding, do you also have the notch in the doors, or were your door surfaces completely flat? If you did have the notch, are the moldings designed to occupy the notch?

And finally, WHAT DO YOU CALL THE NOTCH? :)

·
Registered
781 Posts
What is this notch you speak of?

·
Registered
238 Posts
There is this horinzontal 'valley' that runs along the length of the all four doors. Don't know what is the purpose except esthetics and looks.

I dont think the moulding goes in that. Moulding fits sevral inches above it.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I'm sure that it adds some strength to the door skin.
Without these "character" lines, large stretches of aluminum and steel would vibrate and even bend.
That's why you see them on the doors, hood etc.

You don't want to put mouldings down there unless you feel that the Geico Gecko will pull up next you in his custom convertible.

Homer

:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Steve,

That crease is a design point, but I would guess that it also adds a bit of strength to the door itself. Think about when you fan-fold a piece of paper ( like this: ^^^^^^^^ ), and then put a weight on top of it. The creases in the paper make it stronger than if you were to just try to rest the weight on the unfolded paper. The same principle applies to the steel on the door. That "notch" is a design feature in every Murano, and gives an illusion of length, just like Homer said.

Those of us who bought the moulding (yes, I learned my lesson after only 2 weeks with my MO), did not do anything special to the car aside from installing the moulding. According to the instructions, that crease actually serves as a guide for the installation, as the moulding is supposed to sit about 7" above it.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
7" is kindda too high for me..

I installed mine at around 5".
My GF helped me with the install and she said 5" is about the right height... I know that the molding may not be as efective as 7" height, but it looks better IMHO.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Dunno - I had the shop do it right after they fixed the $500 ding the size of a quarter. I glanced at the instructions when they mouldings came in, but didn't pay too much attention. Since they were doing the repair, they didn't charge me extra to put the strips on.

Outsource when possible!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts