Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just saw it:

The Keyless Car

Imagine being able to open your car without keys or the push of a remote button. Instead, the car automatically unlocks when you walk up to it. The latest advances in automobiles are making this a reality.

Engineers have created individually programmed key fobs which contain sensors so that the car knows when its driver is approaching the car and when he or she is inside. Even if the fob remains inside your coat or purse, the sensors transmit the signal -- unlocking the door. Once inside, all the driver has to do is hit the break, press a button and he's off and driving.

That means you won't have to fumble for keys outside in the cold or rain. It is also safer than the traditional key -- while there are a thousand different ways to cut a mechanical key, the fob system involves about four billion codes that are continuously changing. That means even if a thief intercepts your code, they won't be able to enter because the vehicle has already changed codes since the last time you entered it.

If you're sharing your car with others, the system is personalized for each driver. That means each individual driver's personal settings -- from their steering wheel height, to the radio and even the climate control -- will change according to how the driver likes it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is available on many high-end cars- Mercedes has had a system like this around since at least 1998, though the earlier ones were IR so you needed the transponder out of your pocket anyway, but by 2000 they had "Keyless Go" where you didn't need to take the thing out of your pocket.

No, the nice thing is that it's becoming more accessible now. Keyless entry and ignition has even made its way down (as an option) to the new Toyota Prius.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Inifinity FX sereies and maybe the G series already have this feature. It is definitely a great feature to have.

·
101 Posts
I actually saw the keyless system at a Mercedes dealership. It was on their flagship roadster model, I believe (+$125,000!!) though you can get it on other models, too. They call it their "Keyless Go" system. You carry a credit card size transponder on your person (like in your wallet). The car recognizes you on approach. Touching the door handle unlocks the doors. To start the car, you simply press the START button in the floor shifter (also stops the engine). You can't lock the transponder in the car because the system senses it in the car.

It will also set the seats, mirrors, and steering wheel position to your stored preferences. Each driver gets their own set of presets, too.

Pretty cool...

(In the world of Nissan, this would probably stay an Infiniti-only item just like the rear-view camera on the FX, but "never say never", right?)

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but "never say never", right?) [/B]

learned it long time ago!:D

I cannot believe how often I sad "never" only to............you know the rest

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, one more link: displaydisplay

·
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
esemes said:
I LOVE that feature on my fx.....

works for the doors, and hatch....

sets the seat, and mirrors, dash/pod, and steering wheel....

its great!!

(also doubles as a traditional remote (with range) and has the keyblank hidden inside (incase of power failure)

hm.........seems that needed to go for tech package. Too late now.........:(

·
Registered
203 Posts
The new Toyota prius intrigued me quite a bit and I thought it was pretty neat when it came to the key-less system the have on it. Basically what you described above. Just get in and push the start button. Cool :26:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Het Chancie23, have you any knowledge of where the Pathfinder Armada SAT cable is terminated?

The folks over on the Edmunds Town Hall site are having a fit figuring out where the Armada's pre-wire SAT cable is routed, no one can find it even though they see it attached to the back of the head unit.

One guy claims he actually bought a new cable and installed it rather than try and trace out the existing one's location??

You would be a hero over there (also) if you could find out and let them know!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Next year's Murano may have it. They should have provided this as an optional package.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts