Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I went ahead and purchased the Muth signal mirrors (paid $185.00 delivered, which is $50.00 less than buying them direct). I've been wanting these ever since they first became available, but was scared off by the seemingly difficult install. But, after printing out the installation instructions from the Muth sight, I began studying and studying them, till I finally started thinking that this is something I could actually do. Mind you, I would classify myself as a BEGINNER.

A friend and I will be installing the mirrors this weekend. I'll report back how it went in case anyone else might want to do this.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Please post many pictures, clean in focus pictures please. I have thought about doing this too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
747 Posts
CopperKat

Do you already have heated mirrors. I wanted to buy the signal mirrors as well and thought it would be a good opportunity to upgrade to heated mirrors, but the install scared me off. I am really interested in how your install goes, please document as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Re: CopperKat

pcs15394 said:
Do you already have heated mirrors. I wanted to buy the signal mirrors as well and thought it would be a good opportunity to upgrade to heated mirrors, but the install scared me off. I am really interested in how your install goes, please document as much as possible.

You have crystallized my thoughts.....

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the non-heated mirror kit. I will be taking pictures to supplement the Muth instructions. There are a few areas that are somewhat vague, so I will try to clarify.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I'm looking fwd to the winter to try out my heated mirrors... I've never had them before. I assume it works just like a rear defroster. I'm also looking fwd to seeing how the AWD handles in the snow. I am not looking fwd to the snow/ice build up on the wippers though. I've read it doesn't clean off easy.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts

·
4,994 Posts
Re: Re: These are still working fine.

andy said:

Grip, did you refer to the Turn-Smart ones?
i like the idea of the convex mirrors & the solar powered leds!

anybody know where i could look at them before buying?
I posted a number of pictures and RIC Perlman at auto care can tell you more.. I don't know if the little convex morris or the LEDS are the best part of them. I'll say one thing the installation is a one cold drink activity. Hard to think of anything any easier. And if you call Ric he will tell you what to put in for the group discount. (I forgot it's been too long now) 1- 800-992-2018 x11.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Complete Beginner!!

To those of you thinking of tackling this task...DO IT!! I completed my install about three weeks ago. It took me two days as I ran into a stripped screw problem on the passenger side mirror and ran out of time/daylight. By no means am I an electronics expert, but I CAN follow explicit directions. I was quite proud of myself for being able to complete these projects without having to take it to a professional!

I was just as hesitant as the rest of you, but I figured that I sucessfully installed my Sirius SAT system (I have an '03) and that required installing a wiring harness to the radio. Because of that install I found wiring the Muth Signal mirrors not that difficult. I did have a challenge finding the signal wires and getting them connected, but eventually I got it! The only thing I've noticed is that the passenger side mirror doesn't always want to adjust. Not sure why, but it's minor to me.

Good luck everyone!

KB

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Complete Beginner!!

Carman Murano said:

I did have a challenge finding the signal wires and getting them connected, but eventually I got it!
Are you saying that the wires are not the colors they indicate in the instructions? How did you locate the correct wires?

I've got one mirror in the housing so far, ran out of time to do the other side.

The instructions say to "probe" the wires. I've never tested wires before, does that mean puncture the insulation? Seems like you shouldn't be poking holes in wires.

·
Registered
61 Posts
CopperKat

The color of the wires are correct in the instructions, but it's awfully dark up there. Also I'm left handed and working in that small area was a challenge. I did go out and buy a circuit tester, and yes you need to pierce the insulation to test to see if you've got the right wire. It was sheer joy once I was able to locate the two correct wires! Good luck with the rest of your installation.

KB

·
4,994 Posts
Re: Re: These are still working fine.

andy said:

Grip, did you refer to the Turn-Smart ones?
i like the idea of the convex mirrors & the solar powered leds!

anybody know where i could look at them before buying?
Sure did, They are good pefomers, so easy they practically install themselves and cheaper. :)

Only place to "Look" I know of is my gallery or the turn smart pictures. You are welcome to drop by!!!:2:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Carman, will be doing the passenger side and wiring connections on Sunday. Glad to hear that the wires are correctly identified.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
OK. A confession.

All I really want are the heated mirrors. (I really only "need" them about 4 times a year)

Has anybody successfully replaced their OEM NON heated mirrors with heated signal mirrors?

I think the wiring is in place, you just need to tap into the circuit.

If the wiring is there, then that leads me to question 2.

If you've replaced your OEM heated mirrors with the heated signal mirrors do you want to make a deal for your old mirrors?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't think so...

Mr3Putt

My Murano does not have the heated mirror option, and I don't recall seeing the extra wiring inside the mirror when I took mine apart. So what you're trying to do probably won't be a solution.;)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is from the MUTH site:

Can I replace my non-heated factory mirrors with heated Signal® mirrors?
Yes you can! You will need to select the heated Signal Mirror® kit for your vehicle (if available) and the H-Mod which adds the necessary wiring to safely allow use of the heated function on your Signal® mirrors. (We do not recommend installing heated Signal® mirrors on a vehicle that originally had non-heated mirrors while attempting to hook up the heater without the use of the H-Mod, as it is very possible to cause damage to the vehicle’s electrical system if the additional draw from the heaters on the mirrors is added to the wrong circuit.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts