• no, we should not

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • I have no opinion

Votes: 5 20.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
5,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading the forum recently and something bothered me. At first I did not know what. Then I realized that I had to scroll through so many pages in order to get to a post. And posts were really short. At first I did not get it. After a while (pardon me but I am a little slow person, my brain is not really working that well) started noticing that our signatures much exceeded posts lengths!

Now my point, shouldn’t we limit signatures to let’s say two lines? No, it would not be fair for some so let’s say four lines of text?

Let’s vote. This is completely voluntary. Just an attempt to make this forum more readable.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Kris
Interesting comment, I think signatures are a personal thing and l think we should leave it like that.:soapbox:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I see it as a thing that is up to the admin.
It's his resource and this is not a democracy.
Many forums put a limit on Sigs.

Homer

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I'm guilty but would be in favor of two lines! Sometimes I try to remebmer to turn off the signature if I've previously replied in a thread.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I have a bias as haveing made many many mods.

That said, I felt is was a way for all particularly newcomers to see if a responder had some knowledge that they either needed or could rely on when they read a post.

Additionally it allowed members to express the personality they had put into their vehicle.

I would certainly favor changing the format from a list (which I felt was more readable ) to a paragraph form to save space. ( I did not think that text was a problem only picture which take up much more disk space. I have changed it and also edited to compact as much as possible in an effort to address your input.

Having to have a separate web site would be a real burden t me. I have tried to be sensitive to your desire and hope that you can see I am trying, But please to not require a mandatory limit. If folks put in silly stuff, let them know and I am sure they will reduce their signature size, but a mandatory limit I feel is arbitrary and penurious.

I really feel that the signature's add a lot to the forum, You can't imagine the number of PM's I Get asking about things, simply beacuse they saw it in the signature. As you know I no longer have the Mod MO, but am still trying to return some of the good I got from the forums advice to me.
Grip

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Gentlemen-

I wouldn't change a thing.

Scrolling through the posts is not all that difficult. I would think 99% of the forum members are viewing the posts via a desktop or laptop, so scrolling is not a big deal.

I am just guessing, but I would think GripperDon must have the longest signature. When going through a thread if I see his post I look forward to reading it because it is either humorous or informative, and sometimes both. I also know that I need to scroll down an "extra" amount when I am finished reading his post. I don't mind at all. In the grand scheme of things, that "extra" effort is insignificant. And believe it or not, every now and then I still get a kick of reading all of the mods GripperDon applied to his cars.

The signatures give this forum character. It lets the members show other members what they drive and the mods they have applied. I vote to keep the MO-related signatures and limit non-forum related sigs (banners showing IP address, advertisements, etc.).

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I don't mind a long text sig, but pictures might lead to load time issues for people with slow connections. I do agree with some of the posts above that listing unique mods in the sig does give newcomers a person to ask specific questions about that item, potentially saving a redundant question from being posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts