Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, I have a voltmeter in my radar detector. Do you think I would see something there prior to having the dreaded alt failuure?

So far I've never seen the voltage drop below 13.8 some I'm thinking if I see it go below it could be an early warning sign. However if the part suddently fails the voltmeter will tell me but so will the dash lights.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Gonzo said:
I was wondering, I have a voltmeter in my radar detector. Do you think I would see something there prior to having the dreaded alt failuure?

So far I've never seen the voltage drop below 13.8 some I'm thinking if I see it go below it could be an early warning sign. However if the part suddently fails the voltmeter will tell me but so will the dash lights.
Good question.

I doubt there would be any voltage drop prior to failure. The alternator just goes dead.

What type of radar detector do you have? I'm looking at the Valetines but man they're pricey..... I have an older Cobra that works OK, but it's 10 years old, may be time for an upgrade....

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got a Beltronics 985 that I've been very happy with. Saved me 8x thus far, very few false alarms and even though I thought it was hookey I love the voice. Some great features/settings on it too.

It has since been replaced by the 995. One neat feature of the 995 is that they make a Laser jammer accesory for it.

Vector 995

·
4,601 Posts
I've not seen anything confirming one way or another, that there is an early indication in failure by a voltage drop. What would be more useful is an ammeter, as you'd see the current charge capability drop as "the wire fatiques" if that's truly the failure point.

Haven't seen one in a car in ages... It was a must on my 1969 Triumph Daytona, as it was wired by Lucas, the Prince of Darkness.

Of course, there's a voltage drop when it does fail, and the lights on the dash will come on as well.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Unless the light comes on the dash, I doubt you can convince the dealer your alternator needs replacement that moment by what your radar detector tells you. However, it might speed you up on the recall line if you force the issue, so you never know. If you are really worried about the alternator, call your dealer and see if you can schedule an appt to have it done before you get the notice in the mail.

I've driven about 1500 miles on the new alt now (replaced 2 weeks ago) and admit, I don't feel any difference.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
The documented failure mode is a broken wire. When it breaks, it breaks. All is fine until then.....

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I was just reaching for a difference answer. I don't want the TSB performed unless it is necessary. I was hoping for an early warning sign that I could use.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Gonzo said:
I guess I was just reaching for a difference answer. I don't want the TSB performed unless it is necessary. I was hoping for an early warning sign that I could use.
Its a safety recall not a TSB. TSB's are optional, since they usually address things that are annoyances. Recalls are generally required by the govt. since they usually address issues that may lead to injury.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts