Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending $100 on the 7500 mile service for my '04 Mo, I drove away only to discover she was pulling hard to the left. I figured, there wasn't anything they'd have done to affect the alignment to that degree (or any), except rotate the tires.

Sure enough, I found they'd skipped the small step of making sure all four tires had even pressure. They didn't; they were all over the place. The front left tire was at about 29PSI compared to about 34PSI... kind of makes me wonder what else they skipped in the checklist...

Anyways, on to the silly question: what's the best/most appropriate PSI for the stock tires?

·
5,264 Posts
I usually have 35 psi front, 33 psi back. I like it this way as it improves handling.

·
Premium Member
7,265 Posts
wynand32 said:
After spending $100 on the 7500 mile service for my '04 Mo, I drove away only to discover she was pulling hard to the left. I figured, there wasn't anything they'd have done to affect the alignment to that degree (or any), except rotate the tires.

Sure enough, I found they'd skipped the small step of making sure all four tires had even pressure. They didn't; they were all over the place. The front left tire was at about 29PSI compared to about 34PSI... kind of makes me wonder what else they skipped in the checklist...

Anyways, on to the silly question: what's the best/most appropriate PSI for the stock tires?
From your post I am guessing "pull" problem went away once you adjusted the tire pressures? It is hard for me to believe that tire pressure is the only element at fault here. My guess is that your tires have also worn unevenly and you are now feeling it because tires are no longer in their original locations. My suggestion is to have your tires inspected and alignment checked.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pull went mostly away (just mostly), and I plan on having the dealer check things out later in the week when I have some time...

·
Registered
36 Posts
According to the sticker on the door jamb, it should be 33psi all around. I run 33 in front and 30 in the rear since I never haul any heavy loads.

Regards,
Chuck Lane

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm glad I read this thread... my MO is about 3 weeks old now and since the day I pulled away from the dealer the tires were inflated at around 36-37 cold (37-38 warm).

Is this too much? Should I deflate these manually ASAP? Also when you guys are giving the PSI is it typically with a cold tire or warm tire?

Thanks for the help.

·
5,264 Posts
jds,

Nissan recommends 33 psi. Always check "cold" pressure.

I am running 35 psi front and 33 psi rear. Reason - I learned that overinlating slightly (10% or so) make my car drive better. I have done it for at least 20 years. Now, Nissan recommends equal front and rear pressure, and yet the weught distribution is approximately 60/40 (front/rear). Hence I differentiate the tire pressure as well.

As to your question - try to deflate 35 front/33 rear (cold!) and see the difference. You will definitely get nice ride.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I run 40PSI cold front/rear. Yeah, that's a little high, but it gives better mileage, a stiffer sidewall (less squeal when cornering hard), and crisper ride & handling.

I'm sure many people would find that to be intolerably harsh, especially with the SE suspension, but being a sports car kinda guy I like it that way.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
893 Posts
MightyMo said:
I run 40PSI cold front/rear. Yeah, that's a little high, but it gives better mileage, a stiffer sidewall (less squeal when cornering hard), and crisper ride & handling.

I'm sure many people would find that to be intolerably harsh, especially with the SE suspension, but being a sports car kinda guy I like it that way.
Wow...that is kind of high. I noticed that mine sit at roughly 31 cold. Looks like its time to inflate. Im thinking 35 all around shouldnt be bad.

·
Registered
417 Posts
MightyMo - Running 40 lbs tire pressure is 21% over recommended.. aren't you risking extensive tire wear in the middle of the tread?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Well, I killed my stock Goodyears in 30K miles with no signs of excessive mid-tread wear.
OTOH, since I enjoy cornering hard, maybe I just wore out the shoulders at the same rate :2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts