Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently using the OEM Eagles. I like the tires and I probably will stick with stock when it will be a time to replace. I was reading about siping (more info here http://sipers.com) and I am curious if someone did that? Does it really improve the handling and stopping characteristics?? Will my tires worn out faster if I will do that? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
485 Posts
In no place that I can see on that web site does it claim better handling, which would be a totally false statement if they did. Sipping just cuts the tread blocks up into smaller pieces so they can squirm under load more easily. This reduces noise, increases the bite on snow, but also makes lateral handling feel WORSE. All depends on what you are looking for in a tire.

Lastly, I consider the goodyear to already have very small treadblocks (lots of squirm near the limits), very quiet, and last 30K miles pretty easily. What more do you want?

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MightyMo said:
What more do you want?
Wow, take it easy I did not mean to offend you. :( I like the Goodyears as is and I was just trying to get some info on siping. It looks interesting. I really want to her from somebody who actually done it. If somebody can tell me that it will improve driving abilities I might consider doing it on my tires before I will replace them. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
I've never done it, but my understanding is that siping only helps to add traction on ice and compact snow. So, if you are going to be dealing with that this winter, it might be a good thing to try. If not, I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Heh, sorry to get up on my soap box on you. I just put sipping in the same catagory as Tornados and fuel line magnets and that kinda snake oil, so the subject gets me riled up a "bit" :D .

·
Registered
545 Posts
I lived in Minnesota for 7 years. Lots of ice and snow. I had a rear wheel drive Ford Ranger that was kind of lousy in the snow. I had my tires siped. I think they were Goodyears. They did improve winter handling and improved traction in general. The caveat was that any warranties that were on the tires became void when the tires were siped.:D

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys. I am thinking to do a siping for the upcoming winter and than I will replace all my 4 tires on the spring (I am not sure if I will stick OEM or I might get the 20” rims)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi, MO driver. We purchased Toyo Proxes ST's last Dec. The dealer offers siping. We got it done. The car looks way cooler than stock and handles very nicely for a Murano. with 48K on it. Can't answer question about down side to siping. Dealer doesn't say there are any. Proxes are a V rated tire so I recommend them as probably superior to the Goodyears, based on specs. WE sure like them. However, after looking at tire rack and other sites about ratings, the usual story is that " these new ones are great and I now have a Porsche!" Forgetting that the person has just replaced worn out tires with new ones and anything new will beat
old rubber. Go with the Toyos and you will like it better than the Goodyears in my humble opinion. Darrell.:)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yep, just make sure that you don't void any warranty that you might have on your tires.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I hate to be the fear monger here on this thread, but why would you pay for a performance tire with big stable treadblocks and then cut them up? Why not buy tires with small treadblocks to begin with, like...uh...the stock goodyears?

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MightyMo said:
I hate to be the fear monger here on this thread, but why would you pay for a performance tire with big stable treadblocks and then cut them up? Why not buy tires with small treadblocks to begin with, like...uh...the stock goodyears?
Well, everybody’s agreed that GY are terrible on the snow. If you do siping on the tires even with the small tread blocks, you will get the better traction; corners of the tread are providing the traction on the icy/snow road, so if you will do siping you will get thousands more corners for the better traction. Also, do not forget that siping will make your tires a little softer w/o reducing you tires pressure. Some people reducing pressure during the snow to get better handling. I hope it making sense.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Murano_driver said:

Well, everybody’s agreed that GY are terrible on the snow. If you do siping on the tires even with the small tread blocks, you will get the better traction; corners of the tread are providing the traction on the icy/snow road, so if you will do siping you will get thousands more corners for the better traction. Also, do not forget that siping will make your tires a little softer w/o reducing you tires pressure. Some people reducing pressure during the snow to get better handling. I hope it making sense.
I never had a problem with the stock GY tires in the massive amounts of snow we had last winter. For what it's worth...

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
special-k said:

I never had a problem with the stock GY tires in the massive amounts of snow we had last winter. For what it's worth...
I am not saying you can not drive on the snow at all. I was saying that there are a lot of different tires which can handle snow road much better than GY. I guess siping will give some extra to the OEMs.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i'm very interested in finding out how this siping works out for you MURANO_DRIVER. i don't know of any place that offers this in canada.

dborla01- i was wondering if you guys used your proxes in the snow yet. if yes how were they. i'm thinking of getting a set once the goodyears wear out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Proxes and snow

Hi, folks. We live in Oregon so don't have much snow here. The Proxes were ok in the limited use I had them in this past Jan. The Goodyears before were ok too. Sorry I can't give you more feedback. PS we are seriously thinking of selling it. Any suggestions on price?
It has 48K on it and is in excellent condition. 03 White SE AWD Hidden Hitch and roof crossbars. Has an extended warranty.

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Proxes and snow

dborla01 said:
Hi, folks. We live in Oregon so don't have much snow here. The Proxes were ok in the limited use I had them in this past Jan. The Goodyears before were ok too. Sorry I can't give you more feedback. PS we are seriously thinking of selling it. Any suggestions on price?
It has 48K on it and is in excellent condition. 03 White SE AWD Hidden Hitch and roof crossbars. Has an extended warranty.
My guess will be $20000-21500. Of course if you will sell it by yourself, you probably would be getting more than just give it as a trade in. Couple of questions; did you feel a significant difference in the driving when you switch from GY to Proxes? Why you want to sell your Mo?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Proxes, etc.

Hi, Murano driver. As I alluded to in my original post, the difference between any old tire and a new tire of any brand is significant. That being said, the Proxes feel better and more secure in cornering, etc.
The biggest difference is that they look "beefier"/ aggressive and therefore give car a lower, wider stance even tho the diameter is almost the same. The visual effect is more aggressive and custom-looking without going to expense of larger rims. Looks a bit like plus zero sizing on our 03 civic Si. Nicer than stock goodyears.
We are selling it to free up some $$ since my wife is going to take college courses that require a significant travel/tuition expense. We keep Murano in garage and use it only for long trips. So...we can rent a bigger car than the Si if we need to drive long distances again. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts