Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What ski racks have people put on their Muranos? I have the factory crossbars, and am looking at the Yakima racks simply because that is what looks to be the easiest and cheapest install. Right now I'm leaning towards the Yakima Lift Ticket 6.

Any comments/suggestions? How well do the Mightymount mounts work with the factory crossbars?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Saris Rack

I have always used the Saris brand racks. I bought one for my Saturn SL years ago and then used it on the RAV 4. I know Saris sells the feet to attach to the Mo' rails so I will be getting those. I like the Saris because the whole rack goes on or off in a matter of a minute or two with no tools needed. And they have all the same accessories as Thule or Yakima.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I didn't have the OEM crossbars so I went with the LowRiders with 58" bars and the BigPowderhound on top of that. Works great. I was worried that with the LowRiders the binding clearance would require a lift on the Powderhound but there's plenty of space as it is.

I wanted the all-Yakima solution so I could mix and match as I please and should I sell the Murano I can take it all with me. Oh, and the locks for security.

My understanding, with your crossbars, is that all you need are the MightyMounts and the Powderhound.

·
Registered
564 Posts
My Thule top box ("Frontier" model, I think) fits on the factory cross bars. The mounting points on the box are set the the outer most settings.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ski Rack

Just follow this and you will not be sorry: Mighty Mounts 9V and any Yakima Rack --> I have a BigPowderHound. Works greats. Installs in 6.2 minutes +/- :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Racks

Hey all, I don't want to mix business with pleasure around here, but I thought if I could do my fellow MO buddies a favour it might be OK.
I own a bike shop and am a dealer for Saris and Yakima racks and accessories, so if you're looking for something in the rack dept. send me an email and I can give you the "MO owners discount"! At the very least you'll have something to compare your prices to.
Thanks,
TenSpeedPete

(Hope this doesn't sound like an ad!?)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Regardless of how you attach it (factory crossbars, or aftermarket), I really like the Thule

726 - Deluxe Pull Top 6pr Ski Carrier

Even on the Mo which isn't so tall to make it a big problem, this rack makes it a breeze to fully load the ski-racks without trying to climb up the side of the vehicle. I like the extra roof clearance of the aftermarket crossbars (more clearance for skis or snowboards base to base).

Good luck finding something ya like!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Strange question for you guys...

What is the height of the MO with the OEM crossbars? I have the adjustable crossbars and they look like they sit higher than the OEM ones. The total height measured from the highest point shows 69 inches here and I don't have the OEM ones to compare.

I need to clear 80 or so inches from the garage door and the only box that would maybe fit on lower crossbars is the Thule North Cape.

TIA!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts