Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy a Murano but not decided on SL 2 wheel or AWD. I do some driving in the snow, but primarily drive the freeway between Sacramento & San Francsico. Also should I wait for the 2004?

·
Windy City MO :)
137 Posts
jskdrums said:
I'm going to buy a Murano but not decided on SL 2 wheel or AWD. I do some driving in the snow, but primarily drive the freeway between Sacramento & San Francsico. Also should I wait for the 2004?
First of all, WHY WOULD YOU WAIT??? Get one now!!! :lol:

Seriously, from what I've read (on the forums) I don't think there's going to be any major changes for 2004. Maybe added colors- not sure. I know some people prefer to not buy a first year introduction vehicle so that if there are any bugs, Nissan will work them out for the next production year.

As for 2WD vs AWD, that depends on whether you REALLY need the AWD and if you want to spend the extra $$.

I live in Chicago and I've never had problems with my front-wheel drive cars so for me the AWD isn't an issue. Not to mention, that I also plan on moving to Florida within the next 2 years :) and the MO is not going off-roading.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree....I opted not to get the AWD even though my initial desire was to get it LOADED. Since the FWD has the VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) feature and I live So. CA. AWD was not a necessity for either my driving style or my wallet. :wink:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey, jsk..
I like the AWD, It seems to give the car a better feel when accelerating around corners. It cancels out the torque steer that comes from FWD.
Since the MO has pretty good power & handling, The AWD just seems to make it that much more fun when driving a little faster. (Safely of course!)
Also, The dealer sold me an AWD that was on the lot for a discount.

I don't know how much better the 04's will be, The 03' seems to be pretty good. I have been driving mine about 3 months now, & I like it more & more every time I drive it. These MO's are really cool!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone for your responses. Can anyone tell if there is a mpg difference between AWD & FWD. Also from reading prior posts about the stereo, I'm not sure which system I want. I would like to upgrade it, but it sounds like it might not be possible. If this is the case, I might go for the upgrade so as not to be stuck without that extra bass that I love. Has anyone successfully tricked out the stereo?

·
Registered
4 Posts
jskdrums said:
Can anyone tell if there is a mpg difference between AWD & FWD. ..... Also from reading prior posts about the stereo, I'm not sure which system I want. I would like to upgrade it, but it sounds like it might not be possible. If this is the case, I might go for the upgrade so as not to be stuck without that extra bass that I love. Has anyone successfully tricked out the stereo?
The spec'd mpg's are within one mpg or so for the FWD and AWD - don't think you'd see a lot of difference. Bear in mind the AWD stuff does weight the car down some.. I have FWD with VDC and it drives great.. As does the AWD, I'm sure. :lol:

About the stereo, everything I've read here and on freshalloy indicates that because the HVAC and other controls are in the head unit display, replacing that would be very difficult. Easiest thing to do would be to upgrade the speakers in the doors and the front tweeters, assuming you could match the sizes and impedances of the existing spkrs (6.5", and I don't know if they are 4 ohm, 2 ohm or whatever).. Worst case, you might have to rig your own amp... The rear subwoofer (in the bose system) is driven from the main amp like all of the other spkrs.

-Zill-
Austin, Tx.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Zill, I know I could probably get by just fine without the AWD, but I snowboard and wakeboard quite a bit and see myself using the AWD in the future. So, I guess I'm saying thanks for helping me decide. I don't think 1 -2 mpg is enough to justfiy having to put on chains in a Tahoe snow storm or not being able to tow a wakeboard boat up a steep launch. As much as I would like to be practical for my primary freeway commute, It's just nice to have tghe AWD when the situation does arise. As for the stereo, is the HVAC attached to the head unit on both stereo sytems, meanig the one with or without the Bose subwoofer? (don't want to be stuck without extra deep bass while I'm destroying the environment with an AWD SUV?) :lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Muranizer, just wanted to give you props for your reply as well. I think I will be going for the AWD. Can you tell me ball park what is a good deal? Carsdirect said $27,900 without tax and other "usual fees"

·
Registered
26 Posts
jskdrums,

I don't know if I would lay claim to getting a great deal. I think I'm one of those guys the salesman "see cominig". The salesman knew I really wanted that MO!!
I can tell you that I paid $30K for my Pewter/Cabernet SL AWD with the big stereo, Adjustable pedals, Roof racks, Moulded mud flaps, Floor mats, Cargo mat, Cargo cover, & Cloth interior. Msrp was $32,850. I was surprised that they discounted it at all, considering how well they are selling. I watched 2 other MO's sell the same day.

I think you'll like the AWD, I just seems to belong on this vehicle. Of course, I'm sure you would like FWD as well. Best of luck in getting a good price.

I think, Just about everybody would agree, that you will love your new MO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks muranizer. I'm still not decided on which stereo to go for? I understand that it might not be possible to upgrade, so I don't want to be stuck without the sub. At the same time I would much prefer a system other than a Bose. I never liked the Bose systems I've had in past cars. At any rate, I'm going to my credit union for approval tomorrow. Wish me luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts