Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SL vs. SE

·
Registered
842 Posts
SL vs SE

In Canada the SL is differant from the SE by only the option of the Nav system, suspension, leather seats and the VDS. In Canada that can add up to $10K, which I did not think was worth the cost.

I have had my MO almost a year and still enjoy driving the car when ever I get the chance.:2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I bought the SL because I wanted a softer ride. Also the only thing an Se has that mine doesn't is the 6-speed manual mode CVT. I just put it in drive and go. Maybe if I were younger I would have gotten the SE but the SL seemed to fit me better.:cool:

·
4,601 Posts
Re: SL vs SE

Stoker said:
In Canada the SL is differant from the SE by only the option of the Nav system, suspension, leather seats and the VDS. In Canada that can add up to $10K, which I did not think was worth the cost.

I have had my MO almost a year and still enjoy driving the car when ever I get the chance.:2: :2: :2:
In Canada, the SL does not have HID's, TPMS, VDC, Leather, Snowflake wheels, auto seat positions, Nav available, but not standard, and something else, but I can't recall.

I wanted the HIDs but I know I'm fine with the halogens. I wanted Nav, but couldn't justify the expense. I wanted TPMS. I wanted 5 spoke wheels, and I couldn't care less about the other options, so I went with an SL.

Now that I know how much I love this vehicle, I suspect my dream Murano would be a loaded SE with the chrome SL wheels and SL shift pattern. Lease is up in two years, so we'll see what it looks like then. Like the looks of the Magnum too.... But it doesn't have a CVT.

SL or SE? It's the same Murano, just different levels of toys....:D

·
Registered
470 Posts
It appears to me that many of the new owners posting on this forum have bought the SE model. When I bought my SE in December the dealer had more SE models than SL models which wasn't the case in 2003 and 2004. Maybe the new owners could update this poll.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Guess it depends on where you live maybe. ( hope I put in enough PC's there ) anyway the local dealer said the old folks get the SL and the Younger ones like the SE. Wonder if that's true. Gee I got ans SL TWICE, must be true! I fit right in his classification. Hmmmm . :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had a SL for right at 2 years and 36,000 miles. I loved it but for this last christmas my wife told me to get a new SE. I love it even more than the SL. The 2005 SE seems to ride actually nicer than the 2003 SL did.

·
4,994 Posts
Hey I like that, now you have had both. Plus we could, start a club the "Second Time Around MOers" :D

·
Registered
301 Posts
I also went for the SL for the softer ride. Make it easier for my wife and baby to sleep in the car. :D Less headaches!
Besides I think the SL handles pretty well vs. the SE.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
If the world hadn't invented "expansion strips'" I would have gone for the SE.

But the SE on Expansion strips at 60-75 MPH is a disaster. I've ridden broncs that rode smoother.:) It's not just hard riding, but the whole car pitches forward and backward over these diabolical small speed bumps you find on concrete highways.
IF you don't have expansion strips where you live, I would go so far as to reco the SE.

Now on the 04s, I "think" that would have meant giving up Ds and getting the faux 7 speed cvt. I would NOT do that. People that have it, like it I guess, but I ain't much on faux anything. Much less faux transmissions. Plus, Ds is cool!

I have not driven the 05.
And I won't.
I'm scared, from the descriptions around here, that I would like it.
And it makes no sense (Sorry Grip) to trade in a "no miles" 03 on an 05 IMO.:cool:

Homer

·
4,994 Posts
No, Non-sense and it makes "No Dollars"

But I had my reasons and to tell the truth, all the bug fixes and the great color were "Worth it" for me and having NAV Screen well blame it all on Generator and the NAV BOX. See I knew I could rationalize my way out of that. :D

·
Registered
357 Posts
SL mainly for the smoother ride; the SE reminded me too much of the Durango's ride that I was parting with.

Also fancied a return to cloth seats and there aren't enough roads around here to warrant the NAV system.

·
4,994 Posts
I bet the cloth is nice in the cold. I don't know why I have always hadleather. Gues that would make a goood poll and discussion thread, Cloth and Leather pros and cons. Hmmm :D

·
4,601 Posts
Don, leather's nice in the cold too.

I would get that a lot with my cars when I had leather. People would say, too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter. Even without seat heaters, I found the winter was fine, and the A/C took care of the summer as well.

I think a lot of them remember vinyl seats and have the two confused... They were damn cold in the winter!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Originally bought a SL but the dealer got into an accident with it on the day I was supposed to pick it up. They were backing it out of the showroom with the drivers side door open. They door got caught on the side of the building. It bent the door and the frame of the truck. There was no way that I was taking a brand new truck that had been twisted up.
Instead they made me a great deal on a SE demo to keep me from walking away. I like the leather and the xenon lights.

Aaron

·
4,994 Posts
When it Rains it Shines. :D

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
hj231 said:
SE! The trip-tronic manual mode, tight suspension for cornering, nice looking wheels.
It is amazing that I bought the SL for the exact opposit reasons! I did not want trip-tronic mode as I have it on my other car and found that I have no use for it (although I imagine it would come in very handy on downhill roads), wanted smother ride than SE offered because we want to use it to travel with, and I thought SL 5 spoke wheels looked better! Funny I did not even test drive an SE :confused:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
It seems that everyone who has the SL is glad they bought that model.

Those in the SE corner seem thrilled with their purchase as well....

Maybe we all just like the MO.

My Sister has the SL, she loves it!

I have driven her SL and prefer the handling and ride of my SE.

Can we both be right?

If I were to buy another MO, without question it would be an SE.

Homer, you must have some wicked expansion joints down there....

·
Registered
21 Posts
My father bought an SL at the same time as I got my SE. To be honest, I don't really notice a real difference in the suspension. My wife and I recently took a nice 8hr road trip to the Detroit Auto Show and it drove quite smoothly on the highways. I find it to be much softer than the Maxima SE I test drove. I actually didn't buy that car because of the suspension, it rode like my lowered WRX that I traded in.

Also, at first I did not care about the tiptronic tranny, but I now use it all the time in rush hour traffic. Pop it into first gear and it saves me from riding the brakes for my 45 minute commute.

Aaron

1 - 20 of 38 Posts