Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CAn someone please tell me the difference, I have been pricing a loaded (every available option) SL & SE and cant figure out whatthe $300-$400 difference is getting me?

TIA,

Rich

·
Registered
227 Posts
I was told by the dealer that the SE drives more like a sports car, kind of jerky. The SL is supposed to be a smoother ride, with all the power of the SE.

You can still get that sports car feel in the SL if you use the "S" on the shifter.

Am I right group?

·
4,664 Posts
There are supposed to be slight suspension differences making the SE slightly firmer, but a little harsher. Opinions vary greatly on this. In the past, when I got my 2K Maxima, the difference between the SE and GLE was the SE had firmer bushings in the suspension so it gave less. This would produce a little less roll at the sacrifice of a little bit of the ride quality. I had a GLE and could still haul it around corners no problem, so I didn't feel the sacrifice was worth it.

Ultimately, I don't think there's a huge difference. The SL has better looking wheels IMHO, but you don't get the tire pressure sensors. The snowflake wheels are still sharp looking... Go drive both, but check the tire pressure on both first, as this will affect the ride as well.

Canada doesn't have all the option packages, so the SE is loaded except for NAV and moonroof. The SL is missing VDC, TC, HID's, Leather, Tire pressure sensors, Snowflake wheels, but has all the rest of it..

·
Registered
487 Posts
Right. Test drive 'em ;)

The tire pressure should be 33 psi. Some dealerships keep them at 50 psi and that equals one nasty ride, so check first!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The main difference between the SE and SL is firmer suspension in the form of firmer springs and struts. This contributes to slightly better handling. I never test drove the SL, so I cannot compare SL vs SE. However, I find that my SE handles very well. Not quite as well as my modified 97 Maxima, but still pretty good for an SUV.

·
4,664 Posts
I'll take stiffer struts, doesn't need the stiffer springs...

I like the ride, but could do with less body roll. At the same time, I laugh a people that buy tall vehicles and complain about body roll! So I Laught at me! Ahh ha ha ha ha....:22:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was wondering the same thing when I was shopping for a Murano, so I convinced the salesman to let me drive both around the huge automall parking lot at the dealership by myself. It actually turned out to make a great obstacle course as there were areas of broken pavement and a long stretch of flat pavement behind the buildings were I was able to get going at a good rate of speed and then started slaloming back and forth and finally hit the brakes. After doing that I chose the SE model for the following reasons:

1) Noticeably less body roll in the slaloms
2) Noticeably less dive in braking
3) Little to no difference in ride over the broken pavement that I could tell (www.ConsumerGuide.com agrees, when commenting on differences between the ride quality of the SL vs SE they stated that there was "Little discernible difference with SE sport-tuned suspension")

Truth be told, in regular cornering and braking, I didn't notice a whole lotta difference, but given the fact that I am accustomed to pushing the envelope of my ride, the SUVishness of the SL wouldn't have suited my particular driving style.

I should also mention that I am upgrading from a 1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS (a limited production non-turbo US spec model that was based on their award winning rally car and the only "sporty" car that Subaru offered back then) and am accustomed to having a certain amount of sportiness and road feel with driving. In fact, after test driving several SUVs including the FX35, RX330, and Volkswagen Toureg as well as AWD sedans from Mercedes, Audi, Volvo, and BMW, I chose the Murano exactly because of its great road feel. Basically I was looking for a vehicle with sports car handling and acceleration that offered AWD, and had features to make the new wife happy such as memory seats, dual climate control, and automatic. In the end I couldn't justify the pricetags on the Mercedes, BMW and FX35 (the only cars that really had any kind of "sporty" feel), so I chose the Murano, a Silver/charcoal SE w/o the VDC nanny -- picking it up this Saturday!

·
4,664 Posts
Good feedback! From that description, my next MO will be and SE with SL wheels.... :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
VDC and Navigator

How desirable is it to have the VDC? I have to get it if I want the Nissan Navigation System. But since I also want the SL all wheel drive, I don't know if I can find it with VDC.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I think VDC is one of the more essential features of the Murano. You never know when you will need it, but it might save your life when you do. Can't really say the same about the Nav system or heated seats, so I think VCD is money well spent.

·
4,664 Posts
The VDC is like air bags. You don't need it day to day, but there could be the one instance, depending on your driving skills, that it might save your bacon either from 1) your own inattention, or lack of skill 2) being forced into an extreme driving condition from someone elses stupidity or an unexpected situation.

So it doesn't hurt to have it, but it's really a question of cost vs. your own personal need.

If you're stretching your budget to get the MO, you can live without it. Otherwise, you may as well get it. I'd find the NAV more useful than the VDC for my skill set. I didn't bother with the traction control either as this, especially on an AWD, can easily be replaced with driver skill.

If you're leasing, look at the difference in monthly payment. You may decide it's worth it for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
66 Posts
VDC and Navigator

Thanks for that info. I want the factory installed Navigation system, not an after-market version, so it looks like I will have to get the Dynamic Control Package to get the Nav. I might as well get the car fully loaded, except for the Chrome Alloy wheels.

·
Registered
834 Posts
That's what I did. I wanted the dynamic control package and dealt with the dealer to keep to my price with NAV, the car also came with heated seats. It was very hard to find a Murano with the dynamic control package in the NE. We had to have the dealer ship one from another state.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ah, my favourite topic again (indecision)

jaak said:

Canada doesn't have all the option packages, so the SE is loaded except for NAV and moonroof. The SL is missing VDC, TC, HID's, Leather, Tire pressure sensors, Snowflake wheels, but has all the rest of it..

... and y'all said a bunch of stuff after that, and now I'll forget some of it.

In Canada (I know jaak that you bought yours early, and that they "changed their minds"), the sunroof (moonroof?) is listed as part of the SE package. Comes with it. It's an option on the SL.

On the VDC, TC issue, I am wondering if either or both would even work on a front-wheel drive model. I think one of them requires power to all wheels to even work.

Oops.... Gotta run... BBL... very interested in this issue.

·
Registered
278 Posts
As Clear as Mud

I think VDC is one of the more essential features of the Murano. You never know when you will need it, but it might save your life when you do. Can't really say the same about the Nav system or heated seats, so I think VCD is money well spent.

Okay, I used the US Nissan config. site to determine that FWD and VDC/TC package are compatible. Now that becomes theoretical since, in Canada, I expect that SL FWD will still not be available with TC/VDC.

Of course, my objective is to tell myself that I'm buying the SE for safety reasons, and not because I want $7,000 leather.

On a lighter note, I did a mental review of events where vehicle safety features saved my life or decreased the extent of the injury.

Before minivans were bought and used as family vehicles, high-back seats were optional, and not required safety equipment, as they were in cars, in Canada, at that time.

I bought a minivan and immediately added high-back seats. In a serious rear-end collision, I suffered a concussion and whiplash injury, but did not suffer spinal cord damage (can you say paralysis and/or death?). Nothing in my skill set could have prevented that incident, and I have to credit vehicle equipment for saving my life.

When a truck drove in front of my Volvo, I had no choice but to hit it broad-side. I was able to reduce speed, but that was it. The accordion front-end left the passenger compartment so perfectly intact that the door opened like a new car's door would, and I walked away from that one: vehicle equipment again.

Although I was taught brake pumping (a la ABS), I had never had to use it. The one time I did, I panic-braked (Slam foot on brake. Freeze.). Until you do a thing, you have not learned it. ABS would have done the pumping for me.

I always (now) buy good, matched tires, with a spare set of winter tires (no M+S in winter in Canada). M+S let me down once and it nearly cost my truck, my dog, and me. Never again.

So, now that I've convinced myself, and maybe contributed to someone else's decision, I just need to understand the difference:

VDC: individual power to wheels and individual braking to wheels (makes sense)

TC: ???

When it first rains, and the oil slick on the road is floating on the water, I figure the only driver skills that work are:
  • get off the road
  • drive very slowly
  • buy a car that handles well under adverse road conditons (skill set is between ears)
  • all of the above.

·
Registered
66 Posts
thanks

Thanks for that info. Don't plan to drive the car on two wheels, but then again, you never know!

I'll be getting the car loaded with everything except the chrome alloy wheels. I intend to have this car a long time.

Now it's just a question of silver or black exterior.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Re: thanks

MusicMan said:
Don't plan to drive the car on two wheels, but then again, you never know!

I'll be getting the car loaded with everything except the chrome alloy wheels. I intend to have this car a long time.

Now it's just a question of silver or black exterior.
Sounds like a good decision. I am down to silver or midnight blue. In cloth, only the silver has the mandatory black interior. In leather, the blue is available in black, and that's my first choice.

I looked at the interiors, and there are lots of pics of them in the galleries here.

That aluminum in the interior was made to go with black. It gives it the space ship look the car deserves. Hot or not, I'm going for black interior.

·
Registered
834 Posts
As far as VDC on front wheel drive goes. We have it on our Toyota Sienna which is just FWD.

·
Registered
278 Posts
More money than Nissan

dmako said:
As far as VDC on front wheel drive goes. We have it on our Toyota Sienna which is just FWD.
Thanks, dmako:

Have you ever noticed it do anything? The VDC... how is it?

Today I finally met the owner of a Murano at the local (snotty) country club.

I asked him, of course, how he liked the MO. He likes it. The rest of the conversation was downhill. I got the picture. He walked in, believed whatever the salesman said, and whatever he already thought, and, a few minutes later, left with an SL.

"The only difference between SL and SE is leather and GPS."

"The leather is too hot in summer, and cold in winter."

"The GPS you would use for two weeks and then it would just sit there."

"Why would you want front-wheel drive?"

He also told me that the Quest would out in a few weeks. I've been all over one, short of driving it, at a dealer's yard.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts