Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I asked this previously but I'll ask again for any new members or new information.

Has anyone noticed a slight jerking after coasting with foot off the gas when the gas is genttly applied in the area of 15-25 MPH? Torque converter locking/unlocking?

I notice it when I'm in traffic and cruising about 40 MPH then do a very genttle slow down with either foot off the gas or light braking. When I reapply the gas I feel a slight jerking. of the CVT.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it if other are experiencing the same issue.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I think I have felt it....the fly by wire throttle is a bit quirky sometimes I think.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking its the TC but wasn't sure if anyone else experienced it.

·
5,244 Posts
I am not sure what are you refering to guys..........but the TC locks up at 18 mph, so if you driving with constantly changing speed between 10 and 25030 mog there is TC locking up and releasig making the Smmoth MO drive not so smooth.

It usually happens inheavy traffic. Is that what are you refering to?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I can feel the TC locking and unlocking at all speeds. I know it is normal when accellerating, but in my opinion it takes a really light foot to prevent the TC from unlocking at any speed. Anyone else think the same?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kris that is it in heavy traffic. Figured it was the TC but wasn't sure if should be that pronounced. I do NOT feel it in acceleration... its all smooth baby. :17:

·
5,244 Posts
EdMPT said:
I can feel the TC locking and unlocking at all speeds. I know it is normal when accellerating, but in my opinion it takes a really light foot to prevent the TC from unlocking at any speed. Anyone else think the same?
It happened to me twice - first time they replaced the TCU (transmission Control Unit), second time - I have no idea what it was. It went away after stopping the car, switching the engine off and restarting again after probably 30 minutes.

·
Registered
416 Posts
My understanding is that once the TC locks up at approx. 19 mph it remains locked. Acceleration above that speed is provided by the CVT changing its infinite number of ratios. The TC provides slippage at stop and torque multiplication up to 19 mph only. This is one of the eficiency factors of the CVT.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If that's the case, maybe it just feels like the tc is not locked and the cvt is adjusting it's ratios. The reason I think it unlocks is because when a accelerate, especially on the highway the rpms rise without the vehicle accelerating, unless I am very, very gentle on the accelerator. It's been my experience with other automatics when attempting to accelerate, after a certain amount of throttle input the tc will unlock and you can feel it's not locked as well as see the rpms rise out of proportion to the speed.

Is this just part of the power robbing side effect of the cvt? Does anyone else experience this?

For example at 40mph if I accelerate ever so gently, I can feel the car pull, and watching the tach the rpm will rise linearly, it feels like it is "locked: into that gear, but if I push the accelerator more, and it doesn't have to be a lot, the rpms will jump up with no virtually increase in speed, then if I let off the rpms drop with virtually no change in speed. Is this normal for the cvt? Maybe I am too used to driving a manual for too long, but I like that locked in feeling. I just feel it's more predictable when negotiating traffic. With the Murano, I am unsure how much to accelerate sometimes, cuz I don't know how the tranny is going to react...is it just me?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No no I know what you mean. I think we are just more aware of it and therefore paying more attention to it. I've found that I try to ingnore it and just go easy on the pedal and the MO and I are as one.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The CVT does require a "getting used to" period. There does seem to be a middle phase re acceleration at highway speeds. Gentle pressure= slow "locked" acceleration...more pedal pressure=rpm increase but no acceleration...a little more pressure= acceleration...it's very different then a manual or ordinary automatic...kinda hard to describe...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts