Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little FYI.

The tips are stainless steel. And guess what. They fall off, just like mine did, sometime from 4 days ago from when I bought it till now. I just purchased some chrome slip on's just like the ones the MO has, which look 10x better for $12 at Walmart.
The MO has stainless steel slip on tips. They are cheap and come right off. I pulled on the other one to see if it would come off as well and it slipped right off. Not a good setup if you ask me. They aren't bolt on as well, so you can't tighten them up.
The new ones I bought are 10x better, look 10x better, and bolt on and are sure to stay.
And are Chrome to match my rims and the rest of the Chrome on the vehicle. I know why they put stainless on, cause they won't rust. But come one, spend a little and put some nice ones one.
BTW- The pipe is 2 1/2 or bigger going up to the slip ons, then changes down to 2 in for the slip ons. I am going to cut the 2in part offflr better flow and loos, as its about 3in long and shows up in the middle of the slip on.

The ones I bought fit 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 in. pipes with a tapered end that is 4in in diameter. With stock being 3in I think. So it looks a little beefier, and the sound is a little better if you cut the 2in downsize they put on it that is about 3in long at the end to accomodate the stainless steel slip-ons.

I might pay the extra $30-40 to have a muffler shop cut the 2in downsize off(which is never good for mufflers, you want the best flow, and downsizing makes a bottleneck, not that big, but it does impede flow) and have them maybe weld the ones on so it looks good instead of bolting them on. They can make it look like it was make that way, and not a slip on look which never looks good. And for the life of me, I paid over $30K and come to find out it has stainless steel slip on tips?????????? I still can't figure it out.
So to the muffler shop for a professional look I go. Seeing as how the really nice looking ones I bough t where $12 each and where the same one, but better in mu opinion than an Autoparts store I hit right before Wal=mart had for 2x the cost.
So the money I saved will go to getting it look a little more professional, and not so hokey like Nissan has done to us!!!:rolleyes:

Just my opinion and taste.

Chez

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nice little ramble there, but what exactly caused it to just "fall off"? Were you driving at the time or did you walk out into your driveway to see the tip lying there?

Post pics of the new tips cause I'm curious to see how they look. Do they look identical to they stock except for being chrome rather than the stainless steel? If they look good I'll have to make a stop at Wal-Mart :cool:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are pics of the new tips just installed. In one of the pics you can see I also installed the xmember plug as well.

They aren't shined up and its a gloomy day so they don't look as nice as they will. But they do look beefier and stick out a tad more which I like. Plus the were only $12 each. A world of difference from the stock ones that for sure.
For the reason they fell off who knows. They just aren't made that well.
Someone asked for pics in this thread and anothe rso I will just post them here.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Different view.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yet another.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here should be the one with the Xarm plug installed for $4.95 including shipping from ebay.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whoops this is the one.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am glad theone fell off. Cause these look a lot nicer and beefier to give it a little bit more of a sport UTE look.
Once I shine them up they will look sweet. Straight out of the package they aren't going to be shining like they should. Plus with the doom and gloom day.
I haven't noticed a sound difference yet, but I haven't got on it either. I just started it up to make sure there were no rattles.
I am not going to get them welded or nothing as they look and fit fine the way they are.

Chez

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
The new tips seems to stick out a lot. I see what you mean about cutting down the stock pipe to make the tips more flush with the tail of the vehicle.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That or you can actually push them in more. We decided we liked them out a little more to give a little more of an aftermarket exhaust look to it. We shined them up and happened to go to the dealer today to pick up wheel locks/rubbermats/Tow wiring harness, and the rear bumber guard.
The dealer seemed to like them as well. They look nice and match the chrome of the emblems and chrome license plate frames I picked up on ebay for $32 for 2. So we are happy with the look and leaving it.
The rear bumber guard also looks very nice as well. After they cleaned it off to put it on, they showed us that it already had a couple very minor scratches, so it will do its job nicely for $26!

They couldn't figure out how to turn off the door lock thing. They admittedly said they were learning too and hadn't had that come up yet. They said the will check into it and get back to us. They did admit they are learning this new vehicle, and the new systems as problems/situations arise. They had one Master tech who is the one they called over to find out if he knew of it or how to do it, and he had not learned yet.
So I think if we all work together and bear with them they will have a lot more information and knowledge in the coming months.

Overall we were very pleased.

Chez

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Chezman29 said:
That or you can actually push them in more. We decided we liked them out a little more to give a little more of an aftermarket exhaust look to it. We shined them up and happened to go to the dealer today to pick up wheel locks/rubbermats/Tow wiring harness, and the rear bumber guard.
The dealer seemed to like them as well. They look nice and match the chrome of the emblems and chrome license plate frames I picked up on ebay for $32 for 2. So we are happy with the look and leaving it.
The rear bumber guard also looks very nice as well. After they cleaned it off to put it on, they showed us that it already had a couple very minor scratches, so it will do its job nicely for $26!

They couldn't figure out how to turn off the door lock thing. They admittedly said they were learning too and hadn't had that come up yet. They said the will check into it and get back to us. They did admit they are learning this new vehicle, and the new systems as problems/situations arise. They had one Master tech who is the one they called over to find out if he knew of it or how to do it, and he had not learned yet.
So I think if we all work together and bear with them they will have a lot more information and knowledge in the coming months.

Overall we were very pleased.

Chez
Glad to hear you had a pretty good dealer experience! I am not surprised they do not know how to reprogram the locks yet, I'm sure there are many other more immediate issues for them to deal with than minor annoyances with a brand new vehicle.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
To be honest, my Exhaust extensions seem to be welded on.
I can't make mine budge.

Actually I WOULD like them to come out another inch or even two.

Homer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts