Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, ( my first post here)

I have a black 04 murano SE, 17971 miles on it and i was wondering if any one has had this problem. Im aware of the loose break line rattle over bumps at low speed, but have any of you heard a small clicking noise at low speed when accelerating. The noise goes away when i accelerate more. I think it occurs at times when the transmission comp is trying to find a ratio at low speed and you feel like something is bogging down the engine. This can also be cured with some more acceleration.

My question is, is the clicking from the cvt? but havent had any problems with cvt so far

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
SATELLITEGML said:
Hello, ( my first post here)

I have a black 04 murano SE, 17971 miles on it and i was wondering if any one has had this problem. Im aware of the loose break line rattle over bumps at low speed, but have any of you heard a small clicking noise at low speed when accelerating. The noise goes away when i accelerate more. I think it occurs at times when the transmission comp is trying to find a ratio at low speed and you feel like something is bogging down the engine. This can also be cured with some more acceleration.

My question is, is the clicking from the cvt? but havent had any problems with cvt so far
The best scenario would be if you could reproduce this problem anytime, and show it to the dealership technician. Without more info, its tough to determine the problem. My first guess would be a faulty throttle position sensor or electronic throttle body.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Maybe a defective CV joint? However, that is unlikely with such low mileage.

-njjoe

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,
Just joined this site a couple of days ago. Scanning the threads and noticed this one. I noticed a clicking noise also just last week. I only heard the noise because the window was down. The noise only lasts for a second or two during initial acceleration. Very difficult to reproduce also. Definitely engine related and not CVT related. I will be going in for an oil change this Monday (May 29th) and I will ask the dealer if they are aware of this issue. The dealer is Brantford Nissan in Ontario. They have been super to deal with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
doering1 said:
Hi,
Just joined this site a couple of days ago. Scanning the threads and noticed this one. I noticed a clicking noise also just last week. I only heard the noise because the window was down. The noise only lasts for a second or two during initial acceleration. Very difficult to reproduce also. Definitely engine related and not CVT related. I will be going in for an oil change this Monday (May 29th) and I will ask the dealer if they are aware of this issue. The dealer is Brantford Nissan in Ontario. They have been super to deal with.

Itll be interesting if they find out what it is, i just havent taken my car to the dealer where i live because theyre not as reliable as they should be.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm not sure if the noise I've recently "acquired" is the same one you are talking about, but I have a sound on initial acceleration as well. Mine is more of a rattle, like the sound of a cat. converter heat shield rattling, only it is coming from the front of the car. It also seems to be somehow related to whether the ac is on or not. I haven't crawled underneath to look yet...hopefully it is something simple since the 36k warranty ran out about 4k ago.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just joined the forum and wondered if anyone has new information on this problem. I've noticed the same issue on my '05 Murano SL AWD and initially thought it was engine pinging (sounds like it) but thought it odd that hard acceleration actually makes it go away and using higher grade gas doesn't make a difference. I'll probably bring the car in to a dealer soon to have the (unrelated) rear brake cable noise fixed but would like to have them resolve this issue as well. I've also noticed the clicking sound sometimes turn into a louder rattle or buzzing sound on occasion which is quite disconcerting. It's hard to reproduce reliably however as a previous poster pointed out which only increases the frustration. Could it be related to variable valve timing since it seems mostly to be a low engine-rev phenomenon? Just guessing...

BTW, this site is a great resource for Murano owners and just wanted to say "thanks" :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey folks,
I had the Murano into the dealer last week and of course I could not reproduce that brief pinging (sounds like engine knocking) during initial acceleration. Computer readout also fine. So as the saying goes "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" The noise must be extremely minor and not a concern because the engine "oozes" with power and acceleration. I think if the noise was persistent and it affected performance it would be another story.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I get the same noise on initial acceleration, and the brake cable rattle over bumps. If I ever take the Murano in for the tank shield/snow plow, I might as well see what kind of excuse the service guys have for not fixing the noises.

SHIFT_mediocrity

·
Registered
27 Posts
Interesting. I had a clicking noise like those described above that was a bit louder than described above. In the engine compartment, nearer the drivers side. Dealership is calling it willful destruction in that someone over torqued the tensioner causing the tensioner to break and the rattling noise. When the tensioner pulley on my old Mustang went, it was the same noise, just a different location. What gets me is that this is a $400 fix for damage caused by the dealership. They are the only entity to ever work on this car. Only problem is that they never worked in the engine compartment (that they will admit), but rather pulled the wheels off to inspect the brakes and brake system. Basically, they're blaming me for the damage, even though I've only opened the hood once.

The point though is that a rattle like the ones described here are often the tensioner or one of the pulleys. That goes a long way towards explaining why it doesn't persist, why it's hard to hear, and why it comes and goes with acceleration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update on this issue after visiting the dealership recently. Turns out the loud buzzing/rattle I heard >2000rpm was exhaust-related and after $600+ of new parts and labor (covered by warranty of course), the rattle was fixed :) The mechanic also mentioned that the Murano engines exhibit some "light" knocking for max. efficiency as part of normal running. Sounded a little weird to me but when I took the time to read the service manual, lo and behold, there was actually mention in the section concerning fuel octane level about "light spark knock" being normal as long as it isn't persistent!

Anyway, since the loud rattle was the main issue concerning me and has now been fixed, I'm satisfied with the outcome. I s'pose I can live with the relatively unnoticable pinging from time to time as long as I know it's not harming the engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the update on that ping (engine knocking noise). Just as long as the knocking stays to brief intervals, everything is running normal. Gotta love technology!

·
Registered
286 Posts
my mo has the same rattling noise when slightly accelerate sometimes does it mainly when car is cold,took it to the dealer they are saying its the heat shield on the exhaust,place the order and will take it back this week for installation will post later to see if thats what it was.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
doering1 said:
Thanks for the update on that ping (engine knocking noise). Just as long as the knocking stays to brief intervals, everything is running normal. Gotta love technology!
Yeah a slight knock is indication that the ECU is pushing compression right to the point of detonation to maximize power.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
lilazndemon20 said:
i have this same exact problem. the tech tweeked the timing a bit but it didnt change much. what exactly on the exhaust was ticking?
I may be wrong, but I believe he is referring to the heat shield above the center muffler. If it comes loose it will vibrate against the muffler.

-njjoe

Photo courtesy of Enforcer

Attachments

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
lilazndemon20 said:
thanks for the pic! u have a really clean undercarraige!
Oh no, that's not mine. I stole the picture from Enforcer. A while back he posted a great set of pics of the underside of his MO. Ironically, a year or so later he posted another set of the underside of his MO, but this time his MO was sitting on it's roof after being flipped over in a frontal impact that Enforcer fortunately walked away from. The crash pics are in the gallery and they are definitely worth a look.

-njjoe

1 - 20 of 67 Posts