1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys experience this?

When I start MO up in the morning and move her out of the garage,
i smll a strong gasoline odor.

It seems like its coming from the engine. Strongest in the front left wheel area to the door.

I don't think this is normal, or is it...since its winter and it might be consuming more gas at start up.

I've checked the garage floor, and there are no oil or gas depositions on the ground.

Have any ideas?

I'm worried.

My next schedule appointment is in March.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
I think it is typical.
It does burn very rich when cold on first start.

·
Registered
564 Posts
MSL - I have not experienced that with my Murano and we've been having a relatively cold last half of January in the mid-Atlantic. That said, if your Service Engine Soon (SES) light is not tripped and your Murano is otherwise driving normally, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it gets worse. Vehicles definitely use more gas on cold start up and burn less efficiently. In addition, gasoline evaporation is monitored throughout the fuel system by the evaporative emissions monitoring system. If there is even a pinhole leak, your car's onboard diagnostic system should detect it and trigger the SES light. So until some additional symptoms appear, enjoy for now.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
It may be worthwhile to read up on the canister purge system. This is not technically challenging but is complex and a little hard to post. It may provide enough insight to help you determine if this is the source of the smell, Location and timing of occurrence raise my suspicions.

The canister purge valve system utilizes a solenoid valve that controls air flow and fuel vapors from the evaporative emission carbon canister to purge the trapped fuel vapors when the purge valve is actuated by the engine control computer.

Now go here>

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/l/aa042603a_09.htm
:)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Does it smell like raw unburnt fuel or just a rich exhaust smell? How is the MO running otherwise?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Every single car I have ever driven has had a strong gas smell at startup. When the engine is cold, it runs rather inefficiently (rich) in open loop mode. If you still smell the gas odor from your exhaust after the engine has warmed up (after driving for 10+ minutes) then you might have a problem, otherwise I'd consider it normal.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys.

only happens in the morning upon cold starts.
ses light is not on.

fues comes from the exhaust as well...

when i get to worlll about 15 mins later and try to detect the smell with the car still on...nothing.

i guess its normal based on what you've posted.

smells a bit like raw gasoline though...

it shoudl warm up by the weekend here...i'll see if the smell is still there.

other than that...MO is running perfect...

love palying in the snow with her.

thanks guys...

i'll keep u guys posted if anything

·
5,100 Posts
I really think ......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Most fuel injected engines have a cold start injector--just for cold starts.
I make a point of turning off the HVAC on my last outing of the day so it won't inhale that rich exhaust when I back out in the morning....summer or winter.
Yeah Don, I have smelled the evap thing as well (especially in the summer), but during the winter(on first starts), my money is on the cold start injector. Sorta like women and teenage kids, can't live wiv'em, can't live without'em.
:D

·
5,100 Posts
Things a little differrent on the MO. We go from Sequential to Two Group injection for starting, No startup injector. Most modern engines do this. First its cheaper to write code than put in hardware and second it works better.

From the Manual.
Sequential Multiport Fuel Injection System
Fuel is injected into each cylinder during each engine cycle according to the firing order. This system is used
when the engine is running.

Simultaneous Multiport Fuel Injection System
Fuel is injected simultaneously into all six cylinders twice each engine cycle. In other words, pulse signals of the same width are simultaneously transmitted from the ECM.

The six injectors will then receive the signals two times for each engine cycle.

This system is used when the engine is being started and/or if the fail-safe system (CPU) is operating

Back to my coments:

So if you are smelling the gas from inside the intake manifold, coming all the way up and to the throttle body against the flow of the air being ingested. Then I go back to my origional post.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
aaaaahh

Thanks for the info, but what does it do differently from cold to warm starts?

·
5,100 Posts
Complicated, depends upon the control algrothim as to where things switch, how long they are in what duty cycle, etc. I suggest that the service manual (04 has better info than 05, don't ask me why) be reviewed under conrol ection, fuel, engine etc.

I gues the bottom line ( laught NOW) is, It smells different. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts