Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I used the remote starter. After a few minutes I went out to the car and when I opened the front passenger door I was hit with a smell that reminded me of an electrical fire. I then saw white smoke coming out from under the door sill, right in the middle of the illuminated plate. Without turning off the car I got down on the ground to see if where the smoke was coming from but saw nothing. A little bit scared that there was a fire and it would spread, I turned the car off. It smoked for a bit more but no flames. After a few minutes I turned the car on again, opened the windows (a slight smoke / burning smell remained inside) and looked at the door sill for signs of smoke. Nothing. In the picture you can see a spot that looks like a burn through...

Any ideas? I tried to remove the plastic panel on the inside of the door sill but could only peak under it and there doesn't seem to be any signs of damage.
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior Font
 

· Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. I carefully pried the plastic trip and looked inside. There's no sign of anything but then again I can't really see under the black rubbery trim where the cable disappears. No sign of water damage, nothing wet that I can see. Even by touch there's no feel of a bad cable or roughness that would indicate melted plastic... But if I put my nose close there's smell of something gone bad. I tried to remove the actual illuminated door sill but not knowing the best way I figured I would break it in the process... I'm going to leave well enough alone for now but I left the trim off so that I can better monitor things.
Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior Material property Automotive design
 

· Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What happened to that black rubber seal-looking area. Looks like it was pulled out or torn in that one spot above the melted area. I wonder if something got underneath that and caused a problem with the wiring. I wonder if any of that wiring makes its way under or around the seat track. I don't recall off hand what it's called, but do you use that thing where the driver's seat automatically moves back and then forward when you open and close that door? Perhaps a loose wire harness is caught and being tugged on or moved around everytime that courtesy move happens, and has exposed a bare wire. Or, perhaps you have a mouse living beneath the very roomy area between the carpeting and metal floorboards, and it's been chiewing on the wiring.
To answer your question, yes I do use that feature where the seat goes back when the car is turned off but that works ONLY for the driver seat and this issue is actually on the passenger door...

In the mean time it has not happened again. After that time I never saw smoke coming out of the same area nor any noticeable smell. However, now I'm a bit paranoid and I swear that if I put my nose close to the area I can detect a faint smell of something that burned...
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top