Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2009 murano with 179000 miles. Recently it has started smoking badly on startup. This has subsided to light smoke, and there are times when I start up with no smoke. While driving it will occassionally smoke as I start to accelerate. Do you think it the rings or is changing valve covers an option?

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
No idea, unfortunately.

When it smokes at startup, what color is the smoke?

Blue = oil
Black = gas
White = water

·
Registered
324 Posts
It was removed from intake manifold one on either side
O.K. That's a vacuum-controlled actuator that's part of the Variable Induction Air System (VIAS). If you follow the vacuum tubing it'll end up at a solenoid that controls the actuator. The VIAS system is used to change the length of the intake runners based on engine speed for better efficiency.

It's not related to your smoking. Why did you take it out?

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Aaaand...we still don't know what color the smoke was. Now it's gone, so all is well-maybe.

·
Registered
130 Posts
if changing the valve covers led to "no more smoke", i'd have to surmise that the smoke wasn't coming from the tailpipe and that it's color must've been more towards blueish. it would have been helpful to those trying to help this person if they had provided more/better information/details.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The smoke was bluish. After parking over night and starting in the am the smoke exiting the exhaust pipes was as thick as it could possibly be. It would engulf the neighborhood. As I drove it would go away numerous stop while driving in traffic caused it to smoke as well. My mechanic thought the engine was gone. I saw reports on internet that described my problem. I bought the covers m($282 a piece). I put them on myself, once on vehicle smoke at startup then a little after driving. It now been a few weeks with no smoke or no oil loss. Only thing done was the replacement of the valve covers.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The smoke was bluish. After parking over night and starting in the am the smoke exiting the exhaust pipes was as thick as it could possibly be. It would engulf the neighborhood. As I drove it would go away numerous stop while driving in traffic caused it to smoke as well. My mechanic thought the engine was gone. I saw reports on internet that described my problem. I bought the covers m($282 a piece). I put them on myself, once on vehicle smoke at startup then a little after driving. It now been a few weeks with no smoke or no oil loss. Only thing done was the replacement of the valve covers.

Interesting...when you said that changing the valve covers fixed your "smoking" problem I assumed that the valve covers and/or gaskets were damaged and oil was leaking onto the exhaust causing the smoking. But, you say the smoke was billowing out the tailpipe. I'm trying to wrap my head around how changing valve covers alone would fix what appears to be an internal engine problem allowing oil to get into the cylinders. The only thing I've come up with is that new valve covers (bank 1 to be specific) come with a new PCV valve pre-installed so perhaps the actual problem was a PCV valve that was stuck open allowing large quantities of engine oil to be sucked into the intake manifold. Maybe someone else has another theory....:confused:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Sounds like you had a leak in one of the spark plug tubes and that plug was slightly loose, letting oil be pulled into the engine and burned. As the oil level was burned off in the tube it will burn less until your rpm's went down and it started to fill again.

Plugs needed to be removed to replace the valve covers, when reassembled properly, your problem was solved.

Could be that you had a stuck PCV or a plugged hose that got cleared when you replaced the valve covers, considering how much needs to be removed just to replace them.

Just my theories from the description, for what it's worth.

Have a good day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts