Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Has anybody try installing snow chains on the murano stock tires?
If yes, can you post where you bought it from. I read the user manuals and it states that murano only use SAE Class S chains.

Thanks
tony

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I doubt those 18's will take well to snow chains or cables. When I bought my Murano, the dealer told me to not use chains on the vehicle. I even had to sign a paper saying that chain use is not convered by the dealer under any warranty claim even if the chains were installed correctly.

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
On page 5-31 of my 04 manual, Nissan approves the use of SAE Class S snow chains.
For AWD they must all be the same type, brand, construction and tread pattern.
They must never be used on the skinny spare tire.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Whatever you do, don't buy anything but REAL chains. Not those little ring things that just help you slip.
I put them on my Porsche once, thinking chains might hurt "my baby" instead I slid all over the place, it was a joke. I made it to where I was going, but geese!!!
On the way down the mountain, my cousin and I would going into the huge turnouts and do 30ft rooster tails sliding sideways with them on, that was about ALL they were good for.
BTW-It was going in for full paint on insurance, so I wasn't worried if one slipped off.
And it was a blast anyway. Something you do when you are 20 and are still learning the finer things in life!!!:p

Chez

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I used a set of Security Chain Co (SCC) S class chains over my 235/65-17 snows for 2 days in the snow/ ice storm we had in Portland OR last week. They got me out of my 30 degree driveway where nothing else would. They worked well. Normally I would never put them on the car, buyt the law requires that you carry them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought the SCC Super-Z (S rated) chains for my MO as well, before a ski trip to mammoth (at the tail end of a 100"+ storm)
I never needed the chains, and they were a pain to test fit, but I was glad to have them - just as an insurance policy that I wouldn't need them.

I watched a couple of 2wd vehicles (with chains!) try and go up the driveway from the hotel I was staying at.. they slid backwards and had to make a running start to make the hill. The MO acted like it was a summer day, no slippage I could feel at all even if I goosed it!
stock tires, 6000 miles.

2003 SE-AWD VDC, everything but Nav.

·
4,664 Posts
Portland was pretty bad, huh...

The head office of my employer is based there, and most of the people didn't make it in for a couple of days...

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Portland.
I actually went out and drove every day, just to see if I could. No problems. OK without the chains except for the one icy morning.
17x7.5 .25 offset Dial Concorde Alloys (very old)
Dean Wintercat 235/65-17

·
Registered
5 Posts
Chains for 18's

Anybody found any chains that will fit the 18" wheels on the 2004's? SCC doesn't appear to make any that fit (I've got an email in to them about it).

I did find these:

http://www.flex-trax.com/site/521855/product/2660

They should fit, but they seem to be a new concept, and I have doubts about their durability, effectiveness, etc. For example, it looks like there are points where none of the cleats are touching the road (ie, gaps in the coverage), which would seem to be a problem when braking.

Has anybody tried these 'Sno-Claws'?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts