Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like over the weekend we are going to get 12+ inches.... the question is I just had the MO washed (bending the front lisc plate again.:3: ) Do I play in the snow or leave the MO in the garrage to remain salt free......

·
Registered
206 Posts
Got 8 inches yesterday and they're saying up to 10 more thu the night tonight. And yes I'm going to go out and play. I tell the wife I have to go out and make sure the AWD is working properly. But actually it's just to drive by my buddies house's as they are digging out thier 2wd trucks. FUN FUN FUN!!!!!:cool:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
If I had 8" of snow, I would definitely make sure the AWD is "working properly"....on my very first turn on an empty street, I'd gun it, and when the slippery Goodyears break me into a spin, I'll give the AWD the thumbs up! :D

Seriously, I don't think you should ever let your car keep you from going out!

·
Registered
485 Posts
" A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

-Grace Murray Hopper
US admiral & computer scientist (1906 - 1992)

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Funny, I have the same situation done her but the question comes up when it rains. I usually end p taking the SLK out.

Years ago when I lived in the Marina Del ray (66) I had a series of sailboats. But the little 14 Sipca Finn was always my favorite. It was like you were one with the boat. I could make it do anything I wanted. It was so beautiful to me one wit the water, Almost like skiing.

I loved the bigger Boats and could sail to Hawaii and to was always soul touching to be all alone hundreds of miles from anyplace just us and the mother ocean, but is was not like the little guy.

It's kind of like that with the MO and the SLK, the SLK is my skin and the MO is my friend.

·
Registered
717 Posts
It's 9:30 am here in SE Wisconsin and the Murano is waiting patiently in the garage to go out and play in the nice, fresh white powder, 12" of which has arrived since I went to bed last night!

I'm going to have to clear the driveway first. I wonder if the snowblower has a full tank of gas?

It's going to be a fun day.

·
4,994 Posts
Post a picture if you can so we can live vicariously!

·
4,601 Posts
The Murano's fun in the snow! Just remember to click on that AWD unless you're on dry pavement. Then you don't have to wait for it to engage it.

Attachments

·
4,994 Posts
Where is your neat doggie! He is cute and needs to be in the pictures :D

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I kind of wonder about the AWD lock switch. The owners manual says to use it only on "rough roads." Where I live, there is a combination of plowed and unplowed roads. I wonder if AWD lock would be appropriate to use on normal streets that are slippery (some snow, but mostly plowed/salted).

I couldn't resist this morning after the fresh snowfall in the midwest. Went into an undriven parking lot and did a few maneuvers with AWD lock on and or VDC off. Pretty fun, and VDC really works.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
GripperDon, question on SLK

Funny, I have the same situation done her but the questioncomes up when it rains. I usually end p taking the SLK out.
On my way back to home today via I50 when the snow was pouring down heavily and the highways were not plough, i saw an SLK that was struggling to even move forwards. It kept fishtailing.
I know the SLk is rear wheel drive. And with a winter tires, it will sure help when driving during snowy condition, am i right?
Do you know what year of SLk comes with stability/traction control technology?

·
4,994 Posts
I have it on my 2001 and I know it came on the (are you ready) 2000.
:D

My wife got the 2001 in place of the 2000 as a birthday present beacuse it was white which she hated and the 2001 is black which she loves. The owner of the MDB dealership is a dear friend, so NO CHARGE, He even paid the tax difference, How about that!

·
4,601 Posts
Eric L. said:
I kind of wonder about the AWD lock switch. The owners manual says to use it only on "rough roads." Where I live, there is a combination of plowed and unplowed roads. I wonder if AWD lock would be appropriate to use on normal streets that are slippery (some snow, but mostly plowed/salted).

I couldn't resist this morning after the fresh snowfall in the midwest. Went into an undriven parking lot and did a few maneuvers with AWD lock on and or VDC off. Pretty fun, and VDC really works.
If the tires are slipping, then the stresses on the drivetrain are being released. That's when I'm comfortable with the AWD switch on. As soon as I'm on wet pavement, off it comes. Snow and ice? I'm good with it on.

·
Registered
717 Posts
32,xxx miles and today was the first chance I had to drive the Murano in real snow with the AWD button locked on. We got about 14" of nice fluffy white powder and there was virtually no traffic on the roads so lots of fun to be had.

I'm very pleased with it's ability and that's with the stock GY's with 32k on them. I'm certainly getting snow tires next year and will have a lot more fun and be virtually un-stoppable.

I was really impressed when just flooring the accelerator pedal from a deal stop it went, no drama, no sliding or slipping, just relatively straight movement (and flashing slip light on the dash).

I did notice that before the day's fun was over, my lock button light wasn't on anymore, regardless of postion?

I didn't think to bring the camera along for pictures but will take it tomorrow if we go out again.

·
4,994 Posts
Can't pass up on that word "unstoppable" Personally I would not want to use that word anywhere the "auto Gods" could hear it.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Personally my main concern with snow capable tires is not the going, but the stopping. I'd rather be very stoppable. :D

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Sounds like..

I'm very pleased with it's ability and that's with the stock GY's with 32k on them. I'm certainly getting snow tires next year and will have a lot more fun and be virtually un-stoppable.
Sounds like the "unstopable" Jeep Cherokee driver i encountered today, cruising on the left lane 70mph, when the snow were almost 6 inches in one of Maryland's highway (and the wintery mix was pouring real baddd).

There was this SLK doing 20 mph on the right most lane, fishtailings all over the place. I think the driver is not aware that she is driving a rear wheel drive car without winter tires :rolleyes:

I am in the middle lane, 50 mph..steady..steady. AWD lock.:4:

·
4,994 Posts
The Slk is neat but not a snow car thats for sure, But I still love mine and we only allow SnoShine down here.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Same here.
The winds came up a bit here yesterday and i would estimate the sunshine was drifting to 4 or 5 feet high. :5:

Homer

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We had fun today. The MO did well in the snow. We got about 24" with 4' snow dirfts... I like the MO...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts