Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
the rally racing nut
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom first insisted on AWD. Ok. Now she insists on having dedicated snow tires. OK. She also has said that she doesn't want to have to be bothered getting the tires mounted onto the stock wheels every year and wants seperate wheels. what would cost more? And what combo is the best bang for the buck snow tire and wheel size wise. This is NJ and we don't get near as much snow as the Great Lakes region. In fact last year we had a very high amount at 40 something inches i think. What should we do? We are willing to spend a little extra for better performance, but it better not suck in regular conditions.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I think it will cost you less to buy a new set of snows and wheels and swap them out every December-April, or so.

Both sets of wheels and tires last longer (obviously) since the miles get split between the two.

You also don't have the repeated wear on the wheels and tires of mounting and de-mounting them from those expensive 18" rims.

The real issue with the Murano is it's pretty difficult to get 18" snow tires at all that maintain the same overall diameter of the stock wheel/tire combination.

I'd suggest 17" wheels and 17" snow tires.

You can check around but TireRack.com seems to have a pretty loyal following and they do have a 17" snow tire/wheel package for the Murano.

By the way, if you use the search feature at the top of the page, you'll find that this has been discussed many times already.

It might give you quicker information next time you have a question rather than waiting for someone to respond.

:2:

·
the rally racing nut
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i searched already, but i wasn't sure whether to go wtih seperate wheels or not, so i asked it all.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I'd go with seperate wheels to avoid the headache of having them mounted every season. You have to have a place to store them and having them mounted on wheels already isn't going to take up more space. The only thing is upfront it is going to cost you more - however I'd planning on $40 to have the tires mounted/balanced every season.

Winter 2003/Spring 2004 = $80
Winter 2004/Spring 2005 = $80
Winter 2005/Spring 2006 = $80.....

It'll add up.

·
4,664 Posts
I don't even bother with snows.... While on some days it might help a little, overall, there's always someone without them in front of me, that doesn't know how to drive in the snow, slowing me down...

Sigh... The problems of a big city!

When I worked out of town, snows were great on the empty country roads!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
With the way this thing handles in the snow, and the larger ground patch the 18's have, save the snow tires for the guys that get FEET of snow not inches.

JMHO,
Chez

I live in N. Dakota. And we get tons of snow. And I can still drive my front wheel drive Sunfire and not get stuck. Tell her to carry a 20ft tow rope and that will save her a LOT of money someone will be more than happy to stop and pull her out, in the event it EVER happens.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Yeah with AWD and VDC the handling should be very safe. But if your mom insists on snow tires, then I would get a separate set on separate wheels. Saves the trouble of having a shop do it over and over again, where they can damage the TPMS!

·
the rally racing nut
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We don't have the VDC, but i think i convinced her (or the price) to stay with the stock tires. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts