Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here we go.

Rule for this thread, don't try to convince me that 3 season tires are really all season tires! As a well know writer for the Toronto Star said about Canadian Tire:

"Their worst snow tire will outperform their best all season tire 100% of the time in winter driving".

Another fact is that all season tires only have about 25% of their grip at 0C (32F) on dry roads. It is all in the rubber compound, not the tread design. The tread design is part 2.

That being said, what are people doing for snow tires? (I have a 2005 MO). I would like to get a set of tires and mount them on their own rims so I can change them at will.

First problem, where can I find rims? Steel rims would be fine.

Second, the actual tire. ?? I'm a huge fan of Blizzacks and have used them for many many years. You should see what a Honda Civic can do with a set of new Blizzacks.

Mike

·
Registered
781 Posts
Mike -

I agree 100% - snow tires make all the difference. The compounds on snow tires are softer which is why you shouldn't use them with higher temps as they'll wear quickly.

I'd look at 17" Maxima wheels. 17" will still fit over the brakes and also be cheaper than an 18" snow tire.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I too have had great luck with Blizzaks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I really like my Dunlop Grandtrek SJ5 tires. They come in the exact size for the Murano and they are pretty cheap too (around 900CDN installed).

The only problem was I couldn't find cheap 18" rims so I pay to have the tires changed twice a year. It is definitely worth it for the winter driving improvement.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mike

Friends of mine have had Blizzaks in the past and, agreed, great snow tires, but they're a little squishy when it turns dry and they wear out a little too quickly when run on the dry roads at the start and end of winter.

I considered the Dunlops but had such terrible luck with Dunlops in the past, I quickly un-considered them.

I picked up a set of Nokian Hakkapellita (sp?) SUV tires this summer and am anxious to test them this winter. Everything I could read about them on the web said they were awesome. We'll see. The only downside: $275 each. But when I priced the Blizzaks, they were $274 each (DM-Z4?). Also, the Nokians are 255/60r18's, which shouldn't be a problem, even though narrower is better than wider for a snow tire.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
I'm getting the Dunlop Grandtrek SJ5 this winter.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just ordered the Grandtrek SJ5's from Fountain Tire this morning. $802 + tax for 4, not counting the installation. Well worth the price, if you ask me.

As for the rims, I didn't bother to look, I just planned on changing them over every fall and spring. Let me know if you find any!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dunlop Grandtrek WT M3

Markham Tire is selling the Dunlop Performace Winter tires ( Grandtrek WT M3) for around $800 installed........great price for a performace winter tire...made in the same 235/65/18 size as OEM.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Re: Dunlop Grandtrek WT M3

moster said:
Markham Tire is selling the Dunlop Performace Winter tires ( Grandtrek WT M3) for around $800 installed........great price for a performace winter tire...made in the same 235/65/18 size as OEM.
You may want to check out the SJ5, it looks more for snow than the M3.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Dean Wintercat 235/65-17. An excellent value. Equivalent construction to Cooper Discoverer with different tread pattern.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ran Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow 235/65-17 on second set of wheels last season with great results -- almost time to switch 'em again. Super snow tire and good performer in dry (better than OEM IMHO) with pretty good wear characteristics. I regularly drive back and forth between mountain snow and dry valley, and drive hard when conditions allow, so one of my better options. Blizzaks are great if you expect snow/ice on the roads for most of the season, tend to wear fast on dry roads.

I got cheap alloy 17" wheels at tirerack, I dont think steel wheels are available that will fit. Whole setup can be had for under $1000.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Well, I just ordered the Dunlop Grandtrek SJ5's and made an appointment to have them installed next weekend. Hopefully the snow doesn't start to fly too soon, but once the first snow hits, it's almost impossible to get snow tires put on (because everyone is trying to), so I decided to get it done early.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More on Tires

I talked to Active Green and Ross here in Ontario.

They can do a 17" steel rim for $1393 including taxes. No TPMS (can it be added?).

Tires would be the Blizzack DMZ3 (I've used these before) 245 65 17".

Thoughts?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I actually thought there would be more snow tires choices but was I wrong. I called around some local dealers here and some of the recommended choices they had were (all 235/65-17s):

1) Toyo Observe G-02s ($1700+tax Cdn installed with steel 17" rims)
2) Dean Wintercats ($1300+tax Cdn installed with steel 17" rims)
3) Cooper Avalanche ($1000 Cdn all included with steel 17" rims)

I can't find any info on the Dean and Cooper tires. For $1000 balanced, installed and taxes included...it's pretty cheap compared to others. Worries me a bit.

Anybody heard of Cooper Avalanches? Isn't the 1" smaller diameter messing up the odometer and speedometer?

Thanks...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Interesting... two of the quotes I got were from Nissan dealerships. They both recommended going down to the 17"....and if I'm not mistaken one of them even suggested 16" at first! I'll call them back and confirm...

I also had a Dunlop Grandtrek quote. For the 235/65-18 snows they wanted $210 Cdn installed/balanced. Kick in 15% sales tax on top for here in Ottawa. No steel rims available though. Cheapest 18" alloys rims start at $200 each.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I got my MO last Nov and soon after installed the Dunlop Grandtreks. I found them to be a surprisingly good winter tire. I've had the Pirellis on my Pathfinder and liked them too but they didn't perform as well the second winter. That's what I found happens with the Blizzaks. Great the first winter and then graduly deteriorate in perfomance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
17" Rim

Active Green and Ross quoted the best price on 17" steel rims for the Blizack DM3Z. I also got 2 different prices from 2 different Nissan dealers ($1900 and $2100), all prices Canadian.

The reviews on the Dunlop aren't even in the same league when compared to the Blizack.

One of the keys to a better snow tire is soft rubber compound. This helps with ice. However, they will wear more in warmer weather. You just can't have it both ways.

The way I look at it, is that no matter what you do, it is cheap insurance.

Best comment I heard so far is that the cheapest snow tire you will find will out perform the best all season in the snow.

Mike

·
Registered
135 Posts
Tyler_Canada said:
Well, I just ordered the Dunlop Grandtrek SJ5's and made an appointment to have them installed next weekend. Hopefully the snow doesn't start to fly too soon, but once the first snow hits, it's almost impossible to get snow tires put on (because everyone is trying to), so I decided to get it done early.

How have the SJ5's worked out? I'm contemplating either the SJ5, pirelli scorpion ice, toyo opencountry g02+ on a set of 18's I got on ebay.

The pirelli's get outstanding results in the customer review at tirerack 1010tire and tiretrends. Also one of the only tires that has been reviewed so many times...popular tire?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts