Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering purchasing a Murano. I have used Nokian tires on all my vehicles for winter use. They are wonderful, and if I purchase a Murano, would like to have a separate set of Winter tires. Too my knowledge, the only size that Nokian has that would be compatible is 235/60-18 a -3.08% size difference, or about 1.85 mph at 60 mph. Would this work on the Murano or is the difference too great? Has anyone used tires except the Eagles?

Thanks

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have driven a couple cars with the early Blizzaks and really liked them. One was a '94 Z28 and it made a HUGE difference in the snow. The other car was the wifes old Saturn - made a difference on that also. I've been thinking about snow tires for the Murano - although with the AWD it seemed to be pretty stable in the slush.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I would ask you to check your arithmetic and keep in mind that there are two sidewalls to consider.
I think you will find that the tire height (sans wheel) is 305.5mm now
and 282mm with the snow tires.
This is a difference of 23.5mm which looks like about a 7.7% difference.

I don't know if that will affect things like ABS, etc.

Homer

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used the miata tire size calculator that is found at miata.net/tirecalc.html and it shows that the new tire is 3.1% too fast, ie when the speedometer reads 60 mph you are actually traveling at 58.2 mph.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Yep, charts right.
I was disregarding the wheel because it's a constant. But you can't do that as the wheel is so large it mutes the 7% difference in Sidewall down to 3% overall.

I wouldn't even bet on your speedometer being anymore accurate than that.

Still doesn't answer your question.

I just wouldn't think that that small of a deviation could hurt anything.

There must be a few (a very few) here who mounted snows last winter but the odds start to get real high that they did not use 60 series.

I'ld go for it.

Homer

·
Registered
278 Posts
Dunlop Ice and Snows

235/65 18. Difference to Murano originals = zero.

Sounds good to me. $140 CAD (Canuck Bucks).

·
Registered
717 Posts
Unless your dealing with some real serious amounts of snow, the factory tires should get you through the first winter without much difficulty.

Now, by the time the second year comes around, I'll personally be buying some dedicated snows and a second set of wheels as well.

I'm hoping that in another year the choices in wheels and snow tires will increase.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Winter needs winter tires

winter, snow, ice... the tires that come with MO do not have enough rubber in them for bad road conditions in cold weather.

I nearly lost my Pathfinder finding that out!

Even 6-wheel drive will not save you when you're sliding on ice. If tires do not grip the road, you have lost all control.

Spend the few hundred dollars on real winter tires.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am trying to find a site that has the Dunlop's. Do you know where they may be found? Still like the Nokian's, have great ice properties, but would like to check out the Dunlops.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Nissan has the Dunlops

Nissan dealers were offered a huge lot of them. Each dealer had to decide whether to stock them. Ask for parts department. The sales people are often not aware.

Goodyear bought Dunlop, and Goodyear tire stores (this is all in Canada) also have the Dunlops for Murano.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Re: Winter needs winter tires

rainbowfarm said:
winter, snow, ice... the tires that come with MO do not have enough rubber in them for bad road conditions in cold weather.

I nearly lost my Pathfinder finding that out!

Even 6-wheel drive will not save you when you're sliding on ice. If tires do not grip the road, you have lost all control.

Spend the few hundred dollars on real winter tires.
It also matters how much snow you are talkin about.
if you are in Canada, chances are you are gonna get a lot more than some people in the US.

-Nerf

·
Registered
176 Posts
Re: Dunlop Ice and Snows

rainbowfarm said:
235/65 18. Difference to Murano originals = zero.

Sounds good to me. $140 CAD (Canuck Bucks).
Just a personal observation: I've previously had two sets of Dunlops on my Pathfinders (the MO's predecessors) and they were without a doubt the absolute WORST tires I've ever owned, be it dry, wet, snow ... whatever. Granted, I've never tried their winter tires but if the performance and build quality is anything like either the Radial Rover or the Grandtrek, you couldn't pay me enough $$ to put these on my ride.

I just started calling around yesterday for winter tires, and no, the available sizes don't look good. Other than going with something like a 16" winter rim which would really open up the selections for tires (just go with a larger aspect ratio), I think I'll try patience and hope the "better" manufacturers come out with something next year.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thought I would add my two cents again. I spoke with my mechanic who is the Nokian dealer and he said the 235/60-18's would work fine. Yes, there is a 3% difference in size, but that it is really not that large. As I said earlier, I have used Nokian tires on all my cars for over eight years, and they are the best for snow and ice. You don't see them everywhere, but they are wonderful

1 - 14 of 14 Posts