Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know, I thought it was funny. :)

But in all seriousness. Yesterday, a friend and I began the process of installing the PAC Audio kit inside my Mo to get my iPod going via the open SAT connection. Removal of the center console was not an issue thanks to the detailed posts from you guys. PAC Audio was installed without any issue.

Before putting everything back in its place, I wanted to test it. Now, the line out goes from the PAC Audio to the Belkin Auto kit found below:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd...Id=&Section_Id=2062&pcount=&Product_Id=149006

This cable charges the iPod and provides the line level connection for audio. The test worked fine. The iPod played through the SAT input perfectly. The sound was awesome.

So, we reassembled the console and applied the Proclip mount that I bought (I will post pictures of that as soon as I get my digicam back from servicing). It looks great and I had exactly the amount of slack needed for the cable to reach the bottom of the iPod. Everything was connected, turned the car on and nothing. No sound and the iPod wasn't charging.

After some troubleshooting, we figured out that the fuse inside the cigarette adapter was blown. Luckily, my friend had a few spare fuses. We tried another one, it worked fine, but then as soon as he pushed the adapter in a bit deeper, to ensure a tight connection, the sound died and the fuse was blown.

So, onto fuse number 3. Pushing it in part way (enough to hold the connection) seems to work fine. I drove it for a few hours without any incident, even hitting some bumps... unintentionally.

I wanted to know if any of you have experienced a similar issue. The cigarette power port seems to work fine. After testing the line, we didn't see any spikes in power during turning the Mo on and off.

So, I'm calling out for your .02. Thanks in advance.

End missive.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
nine20eight said:
... it worked fine, but then as soon as he pushed the adapter in a bit deeper, to ensure a tight connection, the sound died and the fuse was blown...
My guess, having experinced something simillar to this in the past, but not in the Murano yet, is that the metal tip of the adptor is too wide and shorts the circuit when it is pushed too far in. My solution, I covered the extra metal areas on the adaptor tip with thin electrical tape and never had a problem again.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Glad I put it in the back!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Nine, tested the same setup with the same Belkin adapter (w/audio) and pushed the connector fully in the passenger side lighter plug. Fuse does not blow here. I checked the plug and the center connector is small and very well isolated from the ground with white plastic. The risk that the center pin from the Belkin cable could cause the short is zero (with this connector here). I really don't understand how this could happen to you unless your lighter plug is defective.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts