Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be buying Murano within next month or two.. I will be buying used. Trying to decide between the AWD or standard FWD. We get no snow in Florida, but average 40+ inches of rain a year..

How well does the AWD work in the rain?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hydroplaning is a lot like being on black ice: there is no traction until you get down to pavement.
No kind of drive, 4-wheel, all-wheel, front-wheel, etc., will do you any good.

Question: how often do you get into deep (> 4") sand? AWD could be a help there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UncaDanno said:
Hydroplaning is a lot like being on black ice: there is no traction until you get down to pavement.
No kind of drive, 4-wheel, all-wheel, front-wheel, etc., will do you any good.

Question: how often do you get into deep (> 4") sand? AWD could be a help there.
Not often enough for it to matter... I would possibly take it down to the beach and drive it down to the water once or twice, but I normally don't even need 4WD for that (unless its deep, then I just avoid it). I could see AWD being beneficial in the sand..

·
Registered
982 Posts
Here is my opinion... since you put it out there and asked. : )

Honestly, living in Florida you wont ever need the AWD I bet. A lot of people think of SUV with 4x4 (AWD) when they go to buy, so if you are buying and plan on selling it again, it will help a lot on resale.

In Florida though, unless you plan on taking it off roading, then you wont need it. I live in Jersey and only plan on using/needing AWD for snow... no other reason. It will probably save you money now if you buy without it also. Good luck on making your decision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I traded in a 01 Explorer XLT 4x4 in on the 04 AWD Murano.. did I take the Explorer off road, you betcha.. I had mud/water flowing over the hood and hitting the bottom of the windshield before (large and deep mud hole) would I take the Mo through something like that? NOT a chance, since the Explorer was pretty much a station wagon built on a pickup platform and had the requisite streingth in it's 4x4 system that the Mo lacks ( low range transfer case being the most beneficial, with #2 being the more aggresstive tires from the factory)

However I got the Mo with AWD because in North Carolina where my wife drives it, does get snow. Now she's not that good of a driver in incliment weather, but it does give me a "warm fuzzy" knowing that she has it..

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you've searched inventory from the Nissan site, you've probably noticed that AWD MOs are pretty rare in Florida. A few of the larger dealers MIGHT have one AWD in inventory. We bought AWD only because we split our time between Florida and western NC where it snows and we drive on forest service roads--and our dealer had to get an AWD from out of state. If you're staying on pavement in FL where it rains a lot, you'd be better off spending the $ on the stability option than on AWD, I think.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Agree w/Mikeyrider

Is it possible to get the VDC option and not get the AWD? (I mean, would you consider that route)?

Living in FL, I'd opt for that. The only reason we got the AWD is for the snow here. Had I still been living in FL, I wouldn't have worried about it.

I understand the resale value portion, but most likely you will LUV you MO and keep it for a LONG time, or, sell it in FL where the AWD doesn't really make that much of a diff.

Get whats best for your needs.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
As a Floridian, I shy away from AWD, 4WD, etc.

I consider that just something else to break and I don't need to carry the extra weight around for every single day I own the vehicle.

I absolutely would never pay extra on a resale if a vehicle had AWD.

Homer

·
4,601 Posts
AWD isn't even necessary in Toronto, so to think it's needed anywhere south of there for real winter conditions, makes me laugh... Well except Buffalo and PA in the mountains, because Buffalo gets dumped on with snow and the altitude of the mountains helps do the same.

Now, to be fair, AWD does make the Murano chirp less when you gas it and your front wheels happen to be on that painted line at the traffic light.

Rain? If it's raining so heavy that you need AWD, you're going too fast and are going to end off the road in a corner or in someone's rear because you can't stop fast enough.

One place where it does work, is freezing rain.

I'm with Homer on this one. Less power to the ground and more losses through the drivetrain, plus additional weight and more to go wrong with AWD.

If it was dry road AWD, that would be different. But it's not.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jaak said:
AWD isn't even necessary in Toronto, so to think it's needed anywhere south of there for real winter conditions, makes me laugh... Well except Buffalo and PA in the mountains, because Buffalo gets dumped on with snow and the altitude of the mountains helps do the same.

Now, to be fair, AWD does make the Murano chirp less when you gas it and your front wheels happen to be on that painted line at the traffic light.

Rain? If it's raining so heavy that you need AWD, you're going too fast and are going to end off the road in a corner or in someone's rear because you can't stop fast enough.

One place where it does work, is freezing rain.

I'm with Homer on this one. Less power to the ground and more losses through the drivetrain, plus additional weight and more to go wrong with AWD.

If it was dry road AWD, that would be different. But it's not.
You make good points... and one has to wonder how hard it would be to find an AWD in Florida as it is..

·
4,601 Posts
Nice Avatar! LOL!!!:19:

Aww... You changed it....

·
Registered
28 Posts
I regret a lot getting AWD but not VDC. I don't think I even use it once! I never seen the AWD light came on at all unless I play it with AWD lock.

I should order the 2WD with VDC as VDC is more useful than AWD in rainy day.

Off topic. It is bad that Nissan force people to get loaded before getting VDC. They should make VDC standard. For model 2003, I understand they needed to test the market.

Now is the third year!

·
Registered
110 Posts
AWD ON light dosen't come ON when AWD is operating. It only comes on when you turn on AWD Lock. I never seen the VDC light come ON even on Polish bad, bumpy, all of holes, one of the worst in Europe roads with lot of corners, snow and ice in winter and water in other months. So I think AWD helps a lot. I want to admit i'm driving fast

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Neither the AWD or VDC light comes on when either system is operating. When VDC is active, the SLIP light blinks on and off. This is misleading, since sometimes the SLIP light is triggered by the traction control only, and VDC is not actually active. I guess the rule of thumb is that if your SLIP light is blinking, slow down!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes it is my mistake, it's SLIP light in MO not VDC. So i have never seen it blinking.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
teonek said:
Yes it is my mistake, it's SLIP light in MO not VDC. So i have never seen it blinking.
You'd have to make a VERY abrupt maneuver to get the VDC to switch on dry roads. Its easier on fresh snow. Just turn the wheel and jam the gas, you'll see the SLIP light blinking almost immediately.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Eric L. said:
Neither the AWD or VDC light comes on when either system is operating. When VDC is active, the SLIP light blinks on and off. This is misleading, since sometimes the SLIP light is triggered by the traction control only, and VDC is not actually active. I guess the rule of thumb is that if your SLIP light is blinking, slow down!
Interesting.... Then how do I know if I am in AWD or FWD? I read the manual and the AWD light is on only when there is a problem.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
dkfchan said:

Interesting.... Then how do I know if I am in AWD or FWD? I read the manual and the AWD light is on only when there is a problem.
You won't know. The only way to be sure is to use AWD lock, but that switches back to automatic AWD after 19mph (03-04) or 6mph (05). The manual is very explicit to say do not use AWD Lock on smooth roads (I would guess, it would damage the transfer case).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts