Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this out! Last oil change I found a shallow tupperware bowl that worked perfectly to avoid the mess of removing the oil filter.

It even managed to wedge in nicely so I didn't have to hold it there myself.

As the second picture shows, it even held the filter when I accidentally dropped it while unscrewing, which managed to nicely avoid an enormous mess.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Second pic:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By the way, you get a lot more room in the wheel well if you jack up the MO on the right side. Wheel "falls away" a bit so that it's even easier to get at the filter.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
A neat (literally) solution. I make do with a bunch of shop towels lining the area below it.

I would actually jack up both sides (i.e. using the middle front crossmember jack point with a floor jack) since tilting the MO up on the right side also tilts the oil pan away from the drain hole (which is on the rear passenger side).

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
You are fancy... I don't even remove the plastic liner when I do my oil changes. Just a lot of shop towels but I may try to find a plastic container that may fit with the liner installed.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I use aluminum foil and shape a funnel of sorts out of it that goes around the filter. Then I just wrap the foil up and out it goes with the filter. Never spill a drop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for sharing, tried it on my MO and it sure did make life easier. But now let me tell you about replacing the filter on the Xterra. First of all, you need tiny little hands and skinny arms to get to it through the provided access cover. Secondly, when you finally get it removed, the oil keeps running out of the upper block! A real mess to clean up, especially from the adjacent steering components and cross member. Then when you're done, you need to seek 1st aid to mend the cuts you got from all the sharp edges from the access cover opening and surrounding sheet-metal..........Just thought I'd share (-:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts