Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So over the past two years and half years since I purchased the Murano, all of my windows have been building up terrible hard water spots. After every wash I'd always dry the car completely and it always sat protected in a garage - but that wasn't enough apparently and the water spots developed anyway.

Over the last few months, I have tried literally everything to get rid of them - using Meguiar's Hard Water Spot Remover, lemon, alcohol, baking soda, vinegar, every other home remedy out there. I finally even bought a professional window buffer/polisher kit with cerium oxide thinking that would certainly work, and although the kit helped a bit the marks were still there. Well today I tried something new and it FINALLY worked! So I figured I'd make this post just in case anybody else was trying to get rid of those impossible hard water spots.

>>> Two things: I bought "Bar Keepers Friends: Soft Cleanser" for two bucks and then a sponge with a net around it for another couple bucks (the netted sponge is important - it has a rough surface to create some friction but is still soft to prevent scratching). Then just use some elbow grease and scrub the window with the Bar Keepers Friend on the netted sponge for a minute or two. If it dries, either just spray with some water to keep it lubricated or add more of the paste from the cleanser. Super easy, fast, cheap, and effective - can't believe it took me two years to find this out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
So over the past two years and half years since I purchased the Murano, all of my windows have been building up terrible hard water spots. After every wash I'd always dry the car completely and it always sat protected in a garage - but that wasn't enough apparently and the water spots developed anyway.

Over the last few months, I have tried literally everything to get rid of them - using Meguiar's Hard Water Spot Remover, lemon, alcohol, baking soda, vinegar, every other home remedy out there. I finally even bought a professional window buffer/polisher kit with cerium oxide thinking that would certainly work, and although the kit helped a bit the marks were still there. Well today I tried something new and it FINALLY worked! So I figured I'd make this post just in case anybody else was trying to get rid of those impossible hard water spots.

>>> Two things: I bought "Bar Keepers Friends: Soft Cleanser" for two bucks and then a sponge with a net around it for another couple bucks (the netted sponge is important - it has a rough surface to create some friction but is still soft to prevent scratching). Then just use some elbow grease and scrub the window with the Bar Keepers Friend on the netted sponge for a minute or two. If it dries, either just spray with some water to keep it lubricated or add more of the paste from the cleanser. Super easy, fast, cheap, and effective - can't believe it took me two years to find this out.
I have had good luck using a clay bar with soapy soft water.

·
The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,288 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts

Speaking chemically: You're going the wrong pH direction. Bar keepers friend is a base, you want an acid. The hard water is mostly calcium carbonate, which is base (alkaline). So, you want to neutralize the base which removes (breaks apart) the ions and thus the hard water spots. You can get weak (10%) phosphoric acid from a brewery or wine store, and sometimes weak hydrochloric acid (which is the better acid in this case). I'd try wetting a cloth and wiping the hard water spot. Then following up with wipe of clean cloth with water. You shouldn't have to apply much pressure, if any. If it doesn't easily wipe away, the acid may need to be more concentrate (you can get 85% phosphoric acid online, but I wouldn't suggest it unless you're good with chemicals). Make sure to wear nitrile gloves when working with those acids, and eye protection.

You seem to be washing your car with hard water, or your rain is really alkaline. Because those seem to be the only ways for the glass to have hard water build up.

·
Super Moderator
8,200 Posts
Chemicals are not really required, but they can help.

Since the late 1800's the answer to this question has been Bon Ami. It's a cleanser which uses feldspar, and will not scratch glass. It became a standard for cleaning windows many decades ago, although it requires actual work, so chemicals have become more popular.

When I was in high school I worked at a service station that prepped new cars for delivery. Part of the routine for every car was to clean all windows inside and out with Bon Ami and newsprint. Use it with enough elbow grease and your water spots - and just about anything else - will be cleaned off glass. The key is putting in the work.

Bon Ami

Barkeeper's Friend is a pretty comparable product, although Oxalic acid is its active ingredient. Its abrasive substance is also Feldspar, so it should be as scratch-safe as Bon Ami. It probably requires a bit less elbow grease.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Murano Platinum
5 Posts
This is the tool you need. You can scrape the spots off without scratching the glass. Also removes stickers etcetera.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Chemicals are not really required, but they can help.

Since the late 1800's the answer to this question has been Bon Ami. It's a cleanser which uses feldspar, and will not scratch glass. It became a standard for cleaning windows many decades ago, although it requires actual work, so chemicals have become more popular.

When I was in high school I worked at a service station that prepped new cars for delivery. Part of the routine for every car was to clean all windows inside and out with Bon Ami and newsprint. Use it with enough elbow grease and your water spots - and just about anything else - will be cleaned off glass. The key is putting in the work.

Bon Ami

Barkeeper's Friend is a pretty comparable product, although Oxalic acid is its active ingredient. Its abrasive substance is also Feldspar, so it should be as scratch-safe as Bon Ami. It probably requires a bit less elbow grease.

DO NOT use Bon Ami on windshields. I completely ruined a windshield on a vehicle once using it. It looked great after I used it but at night when there were oncoming vehicles thousand (millions) of micro scratches could be seen creating a flare around the headlights. I really screwed it up. It was only later I saw the warning on the label.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Adding to 2young2retire's comment above, also if using RainX, make sure to apply it properly. I one day did a half *** job on my windshield while applying it (ask Johnnie Walker why) and it was a nightmare to deal with. The windshield was clear on regular days, but as soon as it rained, it was like I had a bucket of oil spread all over it. It was a nightmare to get off. I used soap and water, rubbing alcohol, window cleaner.... nothing really got it off. Eventually it came off and now its fine.

So lesson to be learned in my comment, dont invite Johnnie Walker over before you apply RainX to the windshield.

·
Super Moderator
8,200 Posts
DO NOT use Bon Ami on windshields. I completely ruined a windshield on a vehicle once using it. It looked great after I used it but at night when there were oncoming vehicles thousand (millions) of micro scratches could be seen creating a flare around the headlights. I really screwed it up. It was only later I saw the warning on the label.
View attachment 51388
Wow, that's new info! Thank you for bringing this up.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Yeah, I tried RainX many decades ago with similar results, never used it again...

Some have good success using NuFinish on their windshields, here's a video:

I haven't tried it yet myself, I didn't learn about this until after I got my '19, and I haven't had any issues yet that require it. But had I heard about it earlier, I would have tried on my '03. My wipers would chatter when the rain wasn't enough for the speed the wipers were running at, I constantly had to adjust the speed to stop the annoying chatter...

Funny thing, I wanted to apply a paint sealant to my new '19 last year. I found leftover bottle of NuFinish from the 1980s in my garage, so used it. It was as good as it was back then, the stuff doesn't degrade in the bottle the least little bit. lol

Warning, avoid getting it on rubber and dark vinyl softish trim, it will create a milky white stain that is difficult to remove. It works fine on plastic, like our headlights, but keep it away from the rubber around windows and the lower bumper areas. Also clean cracks/crevices before it drys too much to avoid more work trying to clean it up later...

It might be good for removing those hard water stains on your windshield, or at least slow their return after a thorough cleaning and application of NuFinish.

·
Super Moderator
8,200 Posts
Incidentally - Bon Ami must have changed their formulation. For many years that stuff was the best bet to get windows very clean. Important to know it's not the best solution now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts