Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 21 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
2005 Murano owner here.
I am about to take a long trip, i decided to replace the PS and serpentine belt since I dont know the last time it was replaced.
however after replacing it I have no power steering at any rpm below 1,100...
i initially installed the belt tight...loosened it, nothing, loosened ita little more nothing...
i took it out of a test drive to get something at Walmart and i couldn't pull into a parking spot..
did I break something? did the PS pump decide to give out on me?
i have fluid, no leaks anywhere.

im pissed off.

ugh

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hello,
2005 Murano owner here.
I am about to take a long trip, i decided to replace the PS and serpentine belt since I dont know the last time it was replaced.
however after replacing it I have no power steering at any rpm below 1,100...
i initially installed the belt tight...loosened it, nothing, loosened ita little more nothing...
i took it out of a test drive to get something at Walmart and i couldn't pull into a parking spot..
did I break something? did the PS pump decide to give out on me?
i have fluid, no leaks anywhere.

im pissed off.

ugh
If all you did was replace the belts then I'd take them off again and check the power steering pulley (i.e. spin it back and forth with your hand and see if it's sticking/feels gritty or if it has excessive in/out play etc.). In fact, check the the other pulleys and tensioner as well. If the pulleys are fine then put the belts back on and try to tighten them to their respective specifications per the service manual and see how it goes.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
hello,
i did that already and checked the pulley. no resistance on the pulley. it spun smoothly counter and clockwise... can this get damaged or the pump itself if tightened too much?
on the new belt, i have about 1/4in deflection which is pretty close to the service manual.
however the deflection is based on 22lbs of force..i doubt i can put that much force with my 2 fingers ( i just checked on a scale and i was only checking with about 9 lbs of force.) ... i will tighten it some more...

the most important question is... can the pump be damaged in anyway when installing a belt?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm curious to know what the answer to this question is also. Question what else if anything prompted you to change the belt, what shape was the belt in was it dry rotted or cracking. Can you tell if there is any rubber dust building up anywhere or settled anywhere along the path it travels. Just curious.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm curious to know what the answer to this question is also. Question what else if anything prompted you to change the belt, what shape was the belt in was it dry rotted or cracking. Can you tell if there is any rubber dust building up anywhere or settled anywhere along the path it travels. Just curious.
About a year ago it was squealing so i tighten it. I noticed the adjustment bolt was out quite a bit. I have had the car for 5 years and i dont know if previous owners ever replaced it. I was planning a 4,000km drive across canada. So it was pre emptive maintennce. I thought about just carrying the belts in case but i figured to just replace it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Oh I see. I have had to replace tensioners on previous cars not this 2010 le I have now. It sounds like you guys are saying its adjustable?

·
Registered
475 Posts
hello,
i did that already and checked the pulley. no resistance on the pulley. it spun smoothly counter and clockwise... can this get damaged or the pump itself if tightened too much?
on the new belt, i have about 1/4in deflection which is pretty close to the service manual.
however the deflection is based on 22lbs of force..i doubt i can put that much force with my 2 fingers ( i just checked on a scale and i was only checking with about 9 lbs of force.) ... i will tighten it some more...

the most important question is... can the pump be damaged in anyway when installing a belt?
As long as the belt is properly aligned on the pulley, the only risk of damaging the PS pump is by way over-tightening the tension, which would cause the bearings inside the pump to wear out prematurely--it wouldn't cause an instantaneous failure.

It may very well be that the tension is looser than you originally believed. Tighten it up and let us know if that fixes it.

2ndGenMaintainer, yes the 1st generation Murano did not have an auto-tensioner like the 2nd generation does.

·
Registered
584 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,979 Posts
You stated you had fluid, but just in case, I suggest double-checking the level. Low fluid might mean the engine has to gain speed before pressure pumps up. (Probably no help, but worth checking since it's free and easy.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As long as the belt is properly aligned on the pulley, the only risk of damaging the PS pump is by way over-tightening the tension, which would cause the bearings inside the pump to wear out prematurely--it wouldn't cause an instantaneous failure.

It may very well be that the tension is looser than you originally believed. Tighten it up and let us know if that fixes it.

2ndGenMaintainer, yes the 1st generation Murano did not have an auto-tensioner like the 2nd generation does.
well, i tighten it some more and no change, still PS only comes alive at 1100rpm.
i tried my old belt again for a laugh hoping it would go back to normal and no power until 4,000rpm...
so safe to assume its lose and slipping...

im going to clean and scrub everything tomorrow and really crank that belt on there....if it fails...should I get a new pump? nissan OEM or cardone or a hitachi?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, after 3 days...its finally fixed.....
cleaned pulleys and belt, tight on belt like really tight!, nothing..tighter nothing.. loosened it..nothing....loosened it some more nothing...
put some seafoam in there let it idle, went for a drive...nothing.... wait....let it idle for a while i went under the car..disconnected the high pressure switch..the idle went up..ok looks good...
still stiff steering wheel....
went under again and i tapped the high pressure relief valve housing for about 30 secs...gave the engine a high 10 sec rev at 4k..went back and tapped some more...a little harder!!
put the wheel back on to go for a ride and voila!

my steering is back!!! after 3 days of fiddling with this crap!

·
Registered
475 Posts
well, after 3 days...its finally fixed.....
cleaned pulleys and belt, tight on belt like really tight!, nothing..tighter nothing.. loosened it..nothing....loosened it some more nothing...
put some seafoam in there let it idle, went for a drive...nothing.... wait....let it idle for a while i went under the car..disconnected the high pressure switch..the idle went up..ok looks good...
still stiff steering wheel....
went under again and i tapped the high pressure relief valve housing for about 30 secs...gave the engine a high 10 sec rev at 4k..went back and tapped some more...a little harder!!
put the wheel back on to go for a ride and voila!

my steering is back!!! after 3 days of fiddling with this crap!
Interesing. I can only imagine the real issue is just coincidental to the belt change. Has the PS fluid been changed periodically? Anyway, glad to hear that the problem is fixed. Enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Sound like you are overdue for a fluid change/flush. Your lines maybe contaminated.
you knows whats funny......i changed my PS fluid 2 years ago! and it didnt look dirty compared to the new oil...so how could that be?

i also changed my diff oil, transfer case, drain and fill CVT oil and coolant 2 years ago!

i got one of those tension tools otw form amazon just to be sure i got tension where it should be.

prior to this I also fixed my busted seat frame which had already been welded back but it bent itself, the rear hatch lock is also gone... the engine drinks oil
i also need new shocks....i think i need a new car.. i think this murano had very shitty previous owners

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alright, i though the problem was fixed however.

when im driving if i accelerate hard RPMs 3,000+ the power steering stops working.
sometimes it will comes right back. but today i lost it merging on the freeway and had to drive 30 mins without any power steering.
i got home put it in park and reved it to about 5-6k and it came back.

what should I do? just replace the fluid?
remove the high pressure fitting and pop the PRV out and clean it? can it be rebuild?

thanks

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
The first gen mainly the 03-04 maybe 05 has a known issue with the power steering sometimes/randomly gets harder to turn momentarily but mostly happens on slow speed like parallel parking or any parking in a spot kinda speed. I never experienced losing the steering assist at any other time. Nissan changed the PS pump after these years.

I would suggest either removing the PS pump and opening it up and cleaning it and doing a fluid flush after. Or get a new/used pump and a fluid flush. Its very dangerous to drive at any time if you are really losing the entire power steering assist. I would deal with it immediately.

·
Registered
475 Posts
alright, i though the problem was fixed however.

when im driving if i accelerate hard RPMs 3,000+ the power steering stops working.
sometimes it will comes right back. but today i lost it merging on the freeway and had to drive 30 mins without any power steering.
i got home put it in park and reved it to about 5-6k and it came back.

what should I do? just replace the fluid?
remove the high pressure fitting and pop the PRV out and clean it? can it be rebuild?

thanks
Sounds like crud is periodically clogging the system. Another option aside from the other suggestions is to do a flush and install an inline PS filter. The detergents in the new fluid will inevitably loosen up a lot more material so the filter should capture it. Once the system is clean, hopefully that will solve the problem.

Let us know what you decide to do and if it's finally fixed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds like crud is periodically clogging the system. Another option aside from the other suggestions is to do a flush and install an inline PS filter. The detergents in the new fluid will inevitably loosen up a lot more material so the filter should capture it. Once the system is clean, hopefully that will solve the problem.

Let us know what you decide to do and if it's finally fixed.

alright, going to get some new copper washers today and steering fluid and ill do it tomorrow see if that helps...
cant really open the whole pump to clean it, i would need a new gasket.

1 - 21 of 28 Posts