Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
I was looking at these. I have the Avon M550 A/S on my former Audi A4 (225/50-16) and they're absolutely wonderful. Softer ride and much quieter than the BFG G-Force KDWS I took off the car, but the tires were every bit as capable. Handling was good (not quite as crisp as the BFGs, but close), and the little that I gave up in responsiveness for the quiet and comfortable ride of the Avons made them worthwhile. They were a bargain at $99 a tire too!

I am VERY serious about putting the Avons on the MO... I just need to wear-out the Goodyears a bit more...

Bob

·
Registered
763 Posts
rtking - I happen to be looking at some new shoes for my Spyder.

On the Audi, what type of wear mileage did you get out of them?
I know you don't buy a Ultra High Performance All Season tire for the mileage, but just wanted an idea.

Did you have any balancing problems with them? The price is almost worth a try, but the old "you get what you pay for" saying is keeping me away.

·
Registered
389 Posts
KSMurano,

I sold my Audi not long after I got the tires, so I can't say for sure what the wear was like. (I got the Murano and the Audi needed to go.) From what I read, the tires wear quite well. In the 1,500 miles I put on them, you couldn't distinguish them from new other than the little rubber nipples had been worn off the tread face. I put them through an afternoon canyon run and I didn't see any sort of wear at all. Sidewalls are softer than the BFGs (that's to be expected) but the performance is pretty darned close to the BFGs. The softer sidewalls and quieter tread pattern really made the ride much nicer. I had Eibach Springs and Boge shocks on the Audi and, with the BFGs, it was a bumpy ride. With the Avons, the ride was actually firm but comfortable. I felt like I lost very little in return for a very comfortable and quiet ride.

I didn't have any issues with the tires at all... but again, I didn't have them long. Balancing wasn't a problem at all. I was also worried about "getting what I paid for." I had Avon Turbospeed tires in 1988 for my Mustang SVO and they were terrible. I was very reluctant to try the Avons again, but I was very surprised at how good they are now. My only concern is that if I destroy one, my only source for the tire is Tire Rack. But that not withstanding, I I fully plan to put the Avons on my Murano as soon as I can wear-out the Goodyears.

Bob

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well, I pulled the trigger. I took my wife up to the mountains to play in the snow. The Goodyears Eagle LS were fine up until I got into slush and icy roads. The MO performed very well, but I felt that the MO could have been more surefooted with better tires. The tires have 26,500 miles on them and I've got about 1/2 tread left. I have been bothered by the road noise from the tires and noticed that the Goodyear Eagle LS is particularly bad on concrete roadways. My initial plans were to completely wear-out the Goodyears, but after my experiences in the snow and ice, I've decided to just go forward and buy the Avons.

I orded the tires from my Shoreline Motoring in Huntington Beach since they're a Tire Rack preferred installer anyway. I'll get the tires put on this coming Saturday. I got size 265/60-18 and, if the Avon Tech S/T is anything like the MS550 A/S, I'll be very pleased. I'll post a report after I get the tires installed and put some miles on them.

Bob

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
rtking-

I will be very interested to hear how the MO handles with those big skins. 265/60 is approximately an inch and a half taller than the OEM Eagles. The MO will ride about 3/4" taller. That's not much, but it will be interesting to see if you notice any change in handling.

Have fun road-testing!!

-njjoe

·
Registered
3,257 Posts

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
hfelknor said:
Actually Joe, the tire only about a 1/2" taller.

Shouldn't be any problem at all.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Homer
Homer-

Thanx for the correction.

I always utilize the tire size calculator on miata.net for comparing tire sizes. It's a great little tool. And I know that it told me the new tire was an inch and a half taller. But as they say "Garbage in, garbage out", I obviously entered the wrong initial figures because I can't duplicate the results.

Thanx for posting the correct info. I would hate to know that I fed someone the wrong info.

-njjoe

·
Registered
389 Posts
Getting Avons installed today

It took about 3 days for my tires to arrive at my tire dealer (Shoreline Motoring.) I've been buried at work and haven't had a chance to get in to get them installed. But finally.. I'm making a break from work and will finally get them put on.

Things that I wanted from a tire:

1) Good ride
2) Quiet tread pattern
3) Reasonably sticky/good handling
4) Hydroplaning resistance
5) Light snow traction

That's a lot to ask of a tire. But I was pleasantly surprised when I tried the Avon M550 A/S on my Audi A4. I couldn't believe how quiet they were and how well they handled. I didn't put a lot of miles on those tires before I sold the car, but I did drive it enough to be very impressed. I hope to be just as impressed with the Avon Tech S/T. I'll post pics and opinions after I get it installed.

I will have a set of original Goodyear Eagle LS (26,500 miles on them, about 1/2 tread remaining) available. I hadn't planned on taking them from the tire shop, but I thought I'd offer them up to anyone on the board in the Orange County/LA area that's willing to pick them up from Huntington Beach. One tire has a slow leak that I've never bothered to fix because I wanted to change to the Avons, but the other tires are just fine. If anyone is interested, just let me know. I'll check on the forum before 1:00 PM Pacific Time to see if anyone wants them. After that time, I'll have left the office and, if there aren't any replies, I'll just have the tires discarded. Just let me know!

Bob

·
Registered
389 Posts
Here's pics of the Avon Tech STs. I'll write-up my 35 mile impressions of them (so far) after the pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
Another pic...

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
3rd pic...

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
Last pic...

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
My thoughts on the Avon Tech STs...

It's too early to tell much yet since I've only had them on for 35 miles or so. But they were high speed miles as I had to rush to get my wife to her doctor's appointment on time. Shoreline Motoring did a great job for me and I paid less than $600 out the door for these tires. The guys filled the tires up to 33 PSI, torqued the lug nuts, applied tire dressing, re-torqued the lug nuts, shined the wheels and I was off in a flash.

First thing I noticed right away was that the tires were very quiet. Granted it was a little slippery since I'm still riding on rubber covered with mold release compound, but it was very quiet. It was actually a bit stunning as I could actually hear the air around the A-pillars driving at 45 mph. I could never hear the wind noise over the road noise before. I didn't realize the Goodyear Eagle LS tires were that loud.

The second thing I noticed is that the MO actually feels a lot more stable around turns. I had to whip around turns pretty quick to make lights (trying to rush home to pick-up my wife, then a quick dash off to the hospital for her appointment.) The MO actually felt a lot more sure-footed.

I got the MO up above 70 mph on Pacific Coast Highway and I noticed that road noise was barely perceptible and most of the noise came from the A-pillars. The shimmy in my steering wheel went away when I changed tires which tells me that the Goodyears were unbalanced before.

Ride quality is actually very close to stock. If I had to guess, it's a hair softer than the Goodyears. But I'll know more as I put more miles on the MO.

One thing I noticed (which is actually pleasing to me) is that the tires sit almost flush with the fenders as you look down the side of the car. The 265/60-18 size really does help to visually widen the stance of the MO. (In actuality, the tires are 15mm wider on each sidewall than 235/65-18s.)

I had to fight with my own indecision to replace the Goodyears. I didn't like them very much, but I didn't hate them either. Pretty much was ambivalent about them, but they had 1/2 tread remaining and I wasn't sure if spending $600 to replace perfectly good tires was worthwhile. When 1 tire developed a slow leak, I decided that was good enough reason to replace the set. After 35 miles, it is premature to say this with any certainty, but I really don't have any regrets having switched to the Avons.

I'll post more as the miles accumulate...

Bob

·
Registered
763 Posts
rt - I'll be interested to hear your updates on these tires as you get some mileage on them.
I've been looking at their high performance tire for my Spyder.

I agree with you that going up a couple of tire sizes, although technically not that much bigger, does wonders on the tire image & wheel well fill. :cool:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
could you take some pics from the rear to see how wide the tire's actually look??? thanks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
..........and if you head up to the mountains again to play in the snow, your impression of how they handle in the snow, slush and/or icy roads

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'll get some pics from the rear in the morning. We had some rain today in SoCal and, even though the tires are still a bit slick from the mold release compound, I found that the MO was very sure-footed and stable.

Sadly I don't think there's much snow in the local mountains from the warmer rains earlier in the week, but if there's snow next weekend, I'll head up to see if I can try-out the snow traction. Here's a pic of the MO with the Goodyears still on in the snow from 2 weekends back...

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
Pic of the Goodyear Eagle LS in snow (close up)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts