Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I let the list of problems build up and gave the service dept my MO for the day. Herre's how I made out:

1. Driver's seat "rocking chair": fixed. Said they went in and tightened the rails (?) and would check with Nissan for additional rails or whatever that will increase stability of the seat, perhaps via additional TSB's. Verdict: :)

2. FM reception: fixed. Said they went in and tightened some nut (?) as per the TSB. Verdict: :)

3. The infamous window/door rattle: fixed (so far). Said they went in and tightened "a bunch of stuff" that was loose. Verdict: :)

4. Intermittent loss of power steering at slow speeds: not fixed. Said they couldn't reproduce it. After I thought about it, it dawned on me that it hadn't occured since the alternator was replaced. Whaddya think -- would this have an effect or is it just a coincidence? Verdict: :confused:

5. Starter "overcranking" on first startup of the day: not fixed. Said they couldn't reproduce it. But, they did say that I'm not the first to bring it in for this and they would report to Nissan -- maybe enough questions/complaints will generate at least some investigation. Again, after I thought about it, I can't remember it happening since the alternator was replaced. Hmmm.... Verdict: :confused:

6. Squeaky brakes: fixed, kind of. Said a few MO's have been in for this. They "cleaned" the rotors and pads, and said they'll continue to do so, FOR FREE, until Nissan comes up with a fix. Said it has to do with the compound Nissan uses for the pads. I asked "Is it just me or shouldn't Nissan have this figured out by now?" He agreed, but said everytime they come up with a pad that has better this or that, often it has worse "other" qualities. In this case, wear and/or "grippiness" might be better, but the offset is the squeaking. Verdict: :3:

I've also sent a letter to Nissan outling these problems and a couple of other "issues" I have with the MO -- eg. the requirement to take it in to the dealer to have the over-engineered rear wiper replaced = cash grab. I'll see what they have to say in response. At least I have a good, and understanding, service dept at my disposal. So far, so good.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Woohoo! A report of the dealer actually correctly repairing something! Actually I plan to take my Murano (June 03, 9k miles) in to the dealer soon to address some minor problems, such as bad alignment, rattles, etc... I'll post an update when thats complete.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I'll post mine up as well - most of the issues I gave them the TSB number in case there was confusion.

Window Rattle - I had the half way down problem which is discussed in the TSB. Fixed. Installation of a channel kit thingy :)

FM Reception - Fixed. Tightened Nut

Clunk when accelerating. TSB states a loose nut behind the steering wheel :) Wife said that wasn't the problem :) The dealership tightened the steering shaft per the TSB. Still happened. Brought it back - the serivce manager was able to duplicate the noise (which in itself is amazing) and kept the car for 2 days. It ended up being a bad fender well weld - at least that's how it was described. They fixed that and all is well.

I have found it is much easier to provide the dealership with a TSB if you can get it. That way they know it is a known issue and know what to look for. Keep in mind the Murano is a new vehicle and the techs are still learning. Also, the '03's were the first year of production and there are going to be problems. I was somewhat concerned about buying a first model year vehicle - however I am very pleased with the vehicle and the service I have gotten.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Anyone got a copy of the TSB for the radio reception?

It's not really a problem for me... reception -could- be better, but I think the problem is in fidelity. Sounds kinda hollow at times. I've heard this is just how the reception is and I have to deal with it :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
Radio Reception TSB

Is this something we can fix ourselves or does it have to be taken into the dealer?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Re: Radio Reception TSB

strummer2k said:
Is this something we can fix ourselves or does it have to be taken into the dealer?
That's exactly what I'm wondering. The last information I heard about this TSB required the entire headliner (ceiling) to be removed to make the adjustment.

I think either way you slice it, it is a dealer fix.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Looks like a DIY to me.

Simply pop the sunroof control panel out (If you have it) and the bottom of the ant mount should be right there.
Now if you don't have a sunroof............I would asssume you have a map light assy?
I see no reason that one would have to remove the headliner.

Homer

·
Registered
466 Posts
I think I'm having the same starter problems with mine, only they are intermittent. Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
31 Posts
TSB Description

hfelknor - do you have the details of the TSB? Is it simply a matter of tightening the antenna bolt once you get the sunroof control panel off?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I don't have the TSB 03059
but I believe very strongly that the problem is a poor ground connection at the base of the antenna.
I believe the fix to be to torque down on the nut to cause the nut or washer to "bite" into the roof.

Homer

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
EL03-022 NTB03-059 June 5, 2003

2003 MURANO; POOR AM/FM RADIO RECEPTION

APPLIED VEHICLE: 2003 Murano
APPLIED VINS: vehicles built before: JN8AZ08T63W115491 JN8AZ08W33W227563

APPLIED DATE: vehicles built before April 09, 2003

IF YOU CONFIRM:
A 2003 Murano has poor radio reception (station fades and/or static is present) for AM and/or FM modes, AND Both the CD player and cassette tape player operate correctly.

ACTIONS:
Torque the antenna mounting nut (located above the map lamp assembly) using the specification given in the SERVICE PROCEDURE starting on page 2.

Figure1:

1. Remove the map lamp assembly. Refer to the BT section in the appropriate Electronic Service Manual, if needed.

2. Using a 22mm crow's foot and 6 inch extension, torque the antenna mounting nut to 44 to 71 in. lbs. (5-8 Nm).

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
I have the TSB if anyone would like it e-mailed to them. Although the previous message does a great job :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
I would like to check the torque on the antenna nut, but I don't have a 22mm crowsfoot....

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can provide the TSB number on the rocking seat issue. I had my in today and they ordered a new seat part. It does require a replacement.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I'd like to have the seat TSB as our dealer said they couldn't duplicate it (and neither can I - but someone who gets more seat time than I do can).

·
Registered
834 Posts
I like to have the TSB for the rocking seat, please post. And if anyone can scan into a PDF that would be great.

JEME said:
I can provide the TSB number on the rocking seat issue. I had my in today and they ordered a new seat part. It does require a replacement.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dmako said:
I like to have the TSB for the rocking seat, please post. And if anyone can scan into a PDF that would be great.

Ditto. JEME, can you provide the PDF?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry - it has been a day or two since I have been on the site - I have the TSB but no scanner - I can post the number on Friday when I return home from the business trip I am on - thanks!

Look for the information on Friday.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts