Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have had the MO for 2 years and 25,000 miles.
I am satisfied with the car.

Some thoughts.

I don't think you will see much more of the CVT.
It was an interesting experiment, but I don't see it catching on.

1- Any new technology that you have to explain when people say it seems slow off the line..........just ain't gonna make it with John Q public. And lets face it, it really IS slow for the first 100 feet or so.

2- After being told that the CVT has less parts etc, we find out that it cannot be repaired. At least not by Nissan.
So what do they want for a new tranny that is less complex and has less parts?
Oh, only twice what a complex tranny would cost.......about $6500.:rolleyes:

3- Somewhere between several of us and many of us are aware that if you drive at a steady high speed all day, you 'could' find the car without accelleration. Of course, all you have to do is switch it off and back on, and all is well again............

4- for the 2006, Nissan has decided to do a "freshening" of the Murano. No improvements to the AWD, the CVT, or the Engine have been announced.

As to the rest of the MO.
It seems to me that Nissan has fixed most of the other problems with the car.
I hear no complaints about squeaks, rattles on the 05s.
I think they finally remembered to tighten the steering rack.
My brakes that were fixed with the TSB (New pads) are fine. They no longer scream CHEEEEAAAPPPP! in reverse. ;)
I don't think that the 04s or 05s had the problem.

There still seems to be too many radio/cd failures.
I have had mine replaced once. Other folks have had them replaced twice.
Or even, gulp!, three times!

I still think that the "rocking chair" is still present on the 05s.

I still think that the AWD is very questionable on the Murano. Too many reports of broken transfer cases and a resultant reprogramming that leaves the Murano owner with less than what he had.

The engine is still rated at 245 HP while other cars with the same engine are tuned to 285? HP. Apparently, the CVT reliability figures have not been good enough to tune the engine any hotter.
(But, it IS a virtually flawless engine.)

Tires are still a problem as the Murano is the only car IMO that uses this unique size. This has become a big problem as the 03 Muranos need new shoes.
For me, I will gladly go with the OEM tires.
I get a kick out of people who say they bought the Murano (partly) because it handles so great.....but the GYs suck........ yeah, right.:D
But, there should be more choices........at the correct size.

I will never buy a car with a sunroof without checking to make sure the damn thing opens all the way. I am still mad about that. I know that I was responsible to catch that on the test drive, still........I have had sun roofs almost exclusively on my cars since my 84 Turbo Car and i have never seen a company that couldn't build one that opened all the way..........

But still...............
The car is still cool looking.
It still runs strong (after you coax it off the line)
It still gets great MPG (22.8 at 75 MPH in 95 degree weather for a 4000 pound vehicle is just outstanding)
In my Murano at least, the interior is holding up beautifully. It still looks brand new.

Overall, if it went away right now, I would remember it as a "good" car. Not great. Good.
Now if it is trouble free for the next 4 years, I would probably rate it as great.
We will see what we shall see.

Would I buy an 06? (Well, not sight unseen......)
Yes, IF:

I needed a car.
The sunroof would open all the way like regular cars.

Homer

·
Registered
127 Posts
I read your evaluation with great interest as a long time Nissan user but relatively new Murano owner. I came from an 04 Touareg V6, but have always had a least one Nissan or Datsun. Currently 05 Murano and 03 Maxima.
The big advantage of the CVT is it is relatively simple, gives good performance and the big one is> decent gas milage. The Murano is really on top of the game for milage partialy cause of the supurb engine and it's weight. My Touareg never got more than 17 mpg on a tank. It had a complex 6 speed Tiptronic which was never was in the right gear. BTW Chrysler is going to use the Jatco (Nissan) CVT next.
http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/caliber.html

Nissans are so good we tend to look for trouble while others are confronted with issues. Every time I get stupid and stray I come running back.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I agree with most everything that was said.

If the CVT is simple - why does it cost so much to fix? Simple things are either cheap to repair or cheap to replace. The CVT is neither of those.

I'll go back to a conventional automatic. The CVT wasn't a selling point for me - in fact it almost kept me from buying it.

As I stated in another post - in my mind it is the best in it's class. Best for the dollar. And I'll be satisfied with my 20.9 MPG @ 80 mph with the air on :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
I like your view points.
So far with my '05 that I've had since January and just over 10K miles. Fortunately, I have not had any of the problems that previous model year Mo owners reported. So I would like to assume that other '05's and future years are pratically problem free. We all know it's takes the 1st year and maybe 2 to get the kinks out.

In regards to the AWD and transfer case, I don't think it is just a problem with the Murano. On a related story... My father was considering getting the Hyundai Tucson with AWD. I did a little research on the AWD system and found that it works the same and has the same limitations as the Mo's AWD. 1) AWD is only engaged when the car detects slippage, 2) If AWD locked, it will automatically disengage after a certain mileage, 3) Not recommended to be "locked" all the time, 4) I've read problems with the AWD system. A woman wrote that she heard clunking noises with AWD locked and switching to reverse. End result was a transfer case needing repair. So it seems to me that the Murano is not the only car that has AWD problems. There are other cars with similar AWD systems and similar problems.

I think the Mo handles very well for an SUV. My only real comparison is the RX300 that my wife drives. But it's a huge difference... even she made a comment about it, saying that she like how the Mo drives vs. the RX... :D

I don't have any problems with the tire... plus my dealer gives free tires for life when you buy from them... of course that requires you regularly service with them, but I already do that, so that was not an issue.

I've come to like the smooth CVT. When I drive our other car, I come to appreciate not feeling the jolts of a upshift and downshift of the gears.

The CVT repair/replace cost will remain high until it becomes more mainstream or until more mechanics are trained and skilled to repair CVTs. Nissan has a nice niche with the CVT. No one else can really fix/repair it, so they can charge a big premium for it.

The Murno does offer a good bang for the buck with one of the best mpg's in it's class.... which is a result of the CVT. So far, I am very happy with it.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I don't remember reading anywhere that the CVT is more "simple" than a conventional automatic, just that it has fewer moving parts (and theoretically less likely to break).

All in all if the only complaints about the Murano that Nissan has not already addressed are as minor as things that "might happen" in special circumstances, or annoyances like sunroofs that don't open completely or rear windows that roll down halfway, then things must be pretty good.

I recently took a 1000 mile roadtrip in the Murano and am very pleased with the mileage I got - 22-23mpg doing about 70-75 up hilly terrain on 93 octane. It seems it took the engine a long long time to break in before I got some decent fuel economy (its now at ~26,000 miles).

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
GMTURBO43 said:
The CVT wasn't a selling point for me - in fact it almost kept me from buying it.
Same here, but I was coming from a standard tranny and was concerned about long tern reliability. After reading about it and CVT history I feel comfortable getting a CVT in my brand new car. I must admist I love the smoothness and auto "downshift". I find that off the line in Ds is more than enough for me.

If I can keep the MO for 10+ years with the original CVT then I'll remember this car as a great car.

I have an 03, 22,000 miles and thus far I don't regreat getting it and recommend it to others.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Gonzo said:
If I can keep the MO for 10+ years with the originally CVT then I'll remeber this car as a great car.

I have an 03, 22,000 miles and thus far I don't regreat getting it and recommend it to others.
I agree with Gonzo. So far (28k miles) I have been happy too.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I agree with pretty much everything everyone else has said.

Regarding the CVT -- I hope it catches on and becomes more mainstream. Ford tried it, and apparently had some major problems with thier CVTs. Now I hear Chrysler is going to start using the Jatco -- a good sign. As long as it stays in a small niche market, the prices will continue to be astronomical to replace and precious few (or none) will know how to open it up and repair it. If it catches on in the market, hopefully more R&D will be done to improve it as well... being able to handle more torque/HP, being able to tow more, overheating issues on sustained higher-speed crusing, etc.

It is for this reason that I will happily invest in extending warranties for as long as I own the MO. Right now I've got 5yr/60,000 bumper-to-bumper, if I keep the MO longer than that I'll extend the warranty as long as they'll let me. A $900 warranty is worth it if it means I'll never have to worry about putting a $6500 transmission in it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I agree with most of the comments.. so far 8500+ miles and it's been a joy to ride.

CVT is becoming more prevalent with the hybrid vehicles out there. First Prius, then the Insight and Civic, then Escape Hybrid, RH400, Higlander Hybrid etc. So I thin the CVT will be a valid and well used transmission. I'd go back to conventional, but would also stick with CVT.

So far decent mileage in town 16-18 mpg - on the highway it's been very good. high of 27 mpg going 75, and an average of 22-23 mpg.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
special-k said:
IIt is for this reason that I will happily invest in extending warranties for as long as I own the MO. Right now I've got 5yr/60,000 bumper-to-bumper, if I keep the MO longer than that I'll extend the warranty as long as they'll let me. A $900 warranty is worth it if it means I'll never have to worry about putting a $6500 transmission in it.
The factory power train warranty is already 5 years/60,000 miles. So your extended warranty is basically only covering the electronics (I would read the fine print too because I know a lot of things are not covered even under the gold plus warranty). Also, from what I understand, you can only buy extended warranty if you have less than 3 years/36,000 miles on the car. So if I were you, I would look at extending it now, before your MO gets to that point.

Just my 2-cents.....:)

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
zebelkhan said:

The factory power train warranty is already 5 years/60,000 miles. So your extended warranty is basically only covering the electronics (I would read the fine print too because I know a lot of things are not covered even under the gold plus warranty). Also, from what I understand, you can only buy extended warranty if you have less than 3 years/36,000 miles on the car. So if I were you, I would look at extending it now, before your MO gets to that point.

Exactly - the one thing I am worried about is the CVT and Nissan charges an arm and a leg just to extend the warranty out another year to 72 months (granted its a bumper to bumper warranty, but I don't need to pay for things that won't break - I only want an extended powertrain warranty).

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
5,244 Posts
Homer,
Interesting observations.

I have 24 months and 40,000 miles. So far many “quirks” though no major issues.

What I do not like/could be improved:
- Paint. It is very thin and chips well too easily.
- Rattles, though these are getting better.
- Sunroof, OK it could open further.
- Handling could be better though for such car is really good (there is always SE option).
- Seats quality – leather could be better.
- Torque steer
- “hanging” muffler and CVT scoop
- Tire choice (no choice!!!)
- Steering wheel – could be more like FX with smaller ratio

What I do like:
- Styling!
- Ride quality
- Roominess
- Fuel economy
- Handling (I know I said something different above but still is not bad)
- Comfort
- Smooooooooothnes
- Brakes!
- Drive train. The engine is just wonderful!!!!
- Dashboard
- Interior

I am not sure of CVT – it performs wonder in the mountains. There is no doubt. Yes, it is sluggish off the mark but is not that bad. I love its “always knows what to do”, no hunting, oh and Ds is much better than any manumatic! However, cost of repairs and reliability are of concern.

Will I buy another vehicle with CVT? I am not sure. I have 5 years/100,000 miles warranty so I am OK. After that I would be worry about CVT repair cost.

·
Registered
629 Posts
zebelkhan said:

You make a good point... I should have thought before I spoke. :) Even with a 5/60 powertrain warranty I still feel a lot better having the extended bumper-to-bumper, even with its caveats. I typically don't keep cars very long, but then again, until the MO I drove lots and lots of american cars which don't last more than 3 years anyway! I just like having warranty coverage and don't know that I'd own a "daily driver" that wasn't under warranty. Just the way I like to do things. :) I'm a poster child for Murphy's law.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Lots of Gears and thought

I was reading the thread on the CVT vs Lots of gears and had some thoughts.
While I have not had my MO's for 2 years I Do absolutely love it. Never a problem or a rattle. The gas mileage is great and it's a FWD CVT. My Phaeton weighs 5248 lbs. with me and the Grippee on board and has 6 speed auto and gets the same mileage as the Mo, so I think both are outstanding. I guess the wind drag on the MO is a lot higher.

I have developed a problem however. My brother-in-law who bought the home one over from us just shipped in a new Durango. Black on Black with all the goodies and has repeatedly said"please please drive it as your own I don't want it going bad because of no use" The only visit here about 5 times a year for a few days each time. Maybe 20 to 25 days total.

My Problem? How am I going to keep 3 cars from rotting when Grippee and me only drive about 6000 miles a year total. We will be lucky to keep the batteries charged.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: Lots of Gears and thought

GripperDon said:
I was reading the thread on the CVT vs Lots of gears and had some thoughts.
While I have not had my MO's for 2 years I Do absolutely love it. Never a problem or a rattle. The gas mileage is great and it's a FWD CVT. My Phaeton weighs 5248 lbs. with me and the Grippee on board and has 6 speed auto and gets the same mileage as the Mo, so I think both are outstanding. I guess the wind drag on the MO is a lot higher.

I have developed a problem however. My brother-in-law who bought the home one over from us just shipped in a new Durango. Black on Black with all the goodies and has repeatedly said"please please drive it as your own I don't want it going bad because of no use" The only visit here about 5 times a year for a few days each time. Maybe 20 to 25 days total.

My Problem? How am I going to keep 3 cars from rotting when Grippee and me only drive about 6000 miles a year total. We will be lucky to keep the batteries charged.
At least now you can say yes if some one asks you "Do you have a Hemi?" :p

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will be in Scottsdale for a 3 month vacation this winter.
If you would be so kind as to leave the Phaeton parked in the Long Term lot at Sky Harbor and the keys at the American Airlines ticket counter, I will solve your problem.
Don't feel obligated to fill the tank, although of course, that IS what a gentleman would do.

Homer

·
Registered
629 Posts
Re: Lots of Gears and thought

GripperDon said:
Geez, you've got it pretty rough with problems like that, eh? :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
I suspect we will continue to see more CVT usage as we move forward. After all it is one way for a manufacturer to improve gas mileage.

About a week ago I read that the about to be released Dodge Caliber (looks like a mini-Magnum and I think is to replace the Neon) will have a CVT, but unclear if standard or an option.

At the other end of the spectrum, quoting from Car & Driver, Aug'05, page 91:

"Lexus LS600h: Power train: A 5 liter version of the 350hp, 4.6 liter
V-8 from the (upcoming) LS460 paired with a high-output electric motor, Horsepower should reach a healthy 500. Continuously variable Transmission"

ETA late 2007 for a mere US$75,000.

Will reportedly deliver V-12 performance with the economy of a V-6

Better be a damn good CVT to handle all those horses!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts