Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... a little history. Back in September, I owned my Murano for 1 week when some bozo in a company truck on Campus Drive in Irvine rear-ends the car behind me (totalling it) and pushing that Honda Accord into me for a whopping $14,600 in damage. I get the car back at the end of October.

Fast forward to today (Tuesday, December 9) and I've had my MO for 5 weeks and am enoying it. I'm commuting to work and on Campus Drive (same damn road!!!!) some moron in a Chevy 3500 landscaping truck runs a red and T-Bones my MO. The MO spun 180 degrees, the hatch popped open (spreading my things everywhere) and the side curtain air bags deployed.

He runs up to me trying to give me his employers number (it's another damn company truck!) I tell him to hold onto it because I'm calling the police for a report. When the police shows up, he changes his story to say that the light just turned yellow for him and I jumped the red and caused the accident!!! Since there were no witnesses (nobody bothered to stop) it's my word against his and his passenger. Of course both of them came up with fantastic stories. The officers' opinion is that they're at fault 100% but they have no evidence to prove conclusively that it was, so my insurance company will have to fight it out with their insurance company.

The rear door and quarter panel will need to be changes, as will the door sill and rear bumper. The right rear wheel is bent and the suspension is completely destroyed. The rear differential case shattered and both axle-shafts are dangling loose. (Gear oil from the diff was dripping out of it.) The CDs won't eject from the radio either since that got rattled pretty bad. The body shop's estimate is $13,300 for repairs, but it will likely go higher.

Because of the previous accident and now this accident, I'm pushing VERY hard to get the car totalled. That unibody has seen too much stress to be safe IMHO.

I hate Campus Drive in Irvine. My advice is to avoid that area at all costs. I'm never driving on that damn road again.

Bob K.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Wow.

Have you had problems with large trucks being attracted to other vehicles you've been in?

Sorry to hear about it. At least you (the more important thing) are okay.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
wow........

glad to hear that you are okay (a trip to the doctor might still be in order????)

i might agree withya that the structural integrity of the chassis/frame may be compromised now.... you would know better, as the force of impact is firsthand knowledge with you....

i would want a total loss too, or , a 2004 full replacement!! (with SAT!!)

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
It is likely the insurance companies will use the police report to decide who is at fault. Even though you were clearly not at fault, the idiots who hit you may have been convincing enough to fake out the officer. Two major accidents can't be good for your premium, even if they are not your fault, so I would fight it in court if you feel like you will be screwed.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wow that's really harsh luck RT, sad to hear it :(

At least everybody was ok.

I know what your situation was like because I was also hit by someone running a red over the summer and the police blamed it on me (again no witnesses). The whole situation just sucks, so I guess I could say I feel your pain.

Good luck with everything

·
Registered
50 Posts
I know that road well. Sorry to hear that

Irvine is a traffic nightmare during rush-hour, especially on Campus and Jamboree (near the 73).

Glad you are ok!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Good gods!

I'm glad you're okay... yeesh... that's TERRIBLE!

Definitely push.. PUSH HARD.. to total that vehicle. It has been through TWO major accidents, one in the rear, one in the side. I can't see how the unibody (although strong) can be even remotely safe now that it has been bent.. straightened.. and bent again from another angle..

Get a new 2004! :2:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone!

Sorry... I had to vent. I can't believe that my brand new MO got crashed into TWICE in the span of 3 months! And I haven't had an accident that was my fault in 18 years! (I've been driving for 20 years.)

If I can convince the body shop to "up" the estimate and convince the adjuster to total the car, I will. I will most definitely pick-up a 2004 MO SE AWD in the same color and equipment. But if I can't convince them to total the car, I'm trading it in anyway. I don't want to have to rely on the unibody to protect me a THIRD time!

BTW, the MO was very stable during the whole ordeal. After the hit, I spun 180 degrees. I never once felt like the MO was going to roll. The hit was a hard one but there wasn't any intrusion into the passenger compartment on the passenger-side rear door. (It took the brunt of the hit.) The side curtain air bag deployed and I can see that it would have done an outstanding job to protect the passenger's head (if I had passengers in the car. Thankfully I didn't.)

I hate that I had the accidents (plural), but I love the fact that the MO is such as safe vehicle.

Bob K.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Good luck, dude. I'm sure something will come through for you, given that you've had your fair share of -bad- luck!

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
Bob.... So sorry to hear of your repeated misfortune. I was glad to read when you got the MO back. I hope that the insurance company sees it your way and you can get an '04.

glad you are ok...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My MO is gone.

I got the call from the Body Shop today. The estimate has already creeped-up to $23,000. They spoke with my insurance company and the insurance company (AAA) has decided to write-off the car as a "Structural Loss." So my car is now officially a total-write-off.

I've decided to wait until after I return from my trip to begin looking for a replacement MO. (That will be sometime after January 8.) Hopefully the insurance company will pay-off my loan by that time and will compensate me for the tow-hitch and XM Radio I installed in the car! Thankfully I hadn't put-on my door guards yet!

Oh well... in the interim I'll be in "lurk" mode! :(

Bob K.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Well, that's what you wanted.

Hope it works out Bob.

Homer

·
Registered
114 Posts
Are there small cameras available that record the last 5 or 10 minutes of what is going on in front and rear of the vehicle in a rollign fashion so after an accident, you have evidence that you did not jump the red etc ?

If so I would love to get hold of one to save my self under such circumstances.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That's a great system. I watched all the videos and decided I want to have one but I guess they are only available to fleet operators.:8:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bad Car-ma...? Bad joke...sorry...hope it works out...

See: www.supercircuits.com for some interesting takes on the camera idea. Mobile DVR(digital video recording) and micro cameras. I wanted a system because I was commuting 120 miles a day and felt sure I was going to get clobbered after 3 near misses(2 with 18 wheelers). Figured on a 360 view bubble cam in the roof and a DVR in the trunk, about $800(it's now a few $100 less). Ended up moving back in town before installation but used the cameras for security at my property; before I turned off the phone up there I could dial in and view the recorded data...watched deer playing in the driveway up there and the occasional cow trespassing...mooo!(or is is MOoooo?)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Someone Crashed into my MO too!!!!

AAARRRRGHHHH!!!!! I haven't even had my MO for a month and a studid rice rocket crashed into my rear and then ran off. I hope that guy dies or something...but yeah the rear is messed up. I think he might have been going faster than 5mph. I'll post some pics of the damage when i get to it. At least i'll be on vacation while the MO is in the shop so I'm not really going to miss out on driving her.

GRRRRRRRRR!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts