Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a bike ride today and when I was coming back I saw a red truck parked behind my MO. I then saw him pick something up off the ground and throw it over the hillside. When I got to my MO I saw that 9 of my straps were missing. I got his license plate number of the construction company vehicle he was driving. Called the police but they aren't sure what they can do. I said that I wanted to get him fined for destruction of property. He said that I could still use the bike straps ...if I could find them. What should I do?? They guy was no rocket scientist because I saw where the vehicle was parked (I assume it is his house) down the road. I honked the horn and asked this guy that was sitting in his back yard if it was his truck. He ignored me twice then he said that it was a guys that lived down the street. The police said that unfortunately, since it is a construction company truck it is registered to someone else.

Sorry, just had to vent..
It isn't like they cost a lot but why was he messing with my stuff??

Think I will call his workplace tomorrow and report him. I'm sure it isn't very good advertising for an employee to do something like that in their vehicle.

Anyone have any other suggestions???

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The state police just called back and they want to meet me at the area that it occured at. I told him that the guy moved his vehicle since I left. He told me that when I meet with the officer to let him know where he moved to as well.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
That is one SOB you have met...

becareful, peopl like that have nothing to loose and you have everything to loose. Perhaps, you should not pursue this further as it is only bike straps, next time maybe something more precious :rolleyes:

Also, make sure that you dont come back to that area for biking again. Just in the case that wacko try to do something that is more 'bizzare'

Some people just can not stand it to see others that has nice car/ pretty sexy gf/ fancy stuffs. Thus they try to show their envy to you. To me, the best way to response is let it go.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It turned out pretty good so far...

The officer wrote down my side of the story (even that I checked the price of replacements and they are $6.00 a piece) then went to where the guy lived (ha, ha, I know where he lives:) ). It was the same guy that denied the truck was his earlier. I guess he thought that he would get away with it.
Of course, the guy denied doing anything. He did tell the officer that he owned the truck and that he "just turned around there". The officer came back and told my the guys position and asked if I wanted to talk to him, which I agreed to do (at least I gave the guy a chance to apologize). He kept saying "are you sure it was me?" I let him know that it was definitely his truck. I also asked him if anyone else was driving the truck. He did admit he was the only one driving it. I asked if he was just turning around why did he stop behind my vehicle. Also, what did he throw over the hillside? He then wanted to know what I was doing parked there. I told him I have every right to park there as it is a public street.

The officer then asked me to get back in the car as he had some more questions for the guy. He talked to him and then he asked me to show him where it happened at. I showed him the area and we looked around on the hillside for the straps. We ended up finding 6 of them! I was feeling better after finding them and the officer asked me if I wanted to pursue it still. I said that I don't know what we could fine him for but I would like to see him at least get fined. I also told him that I probably wouldn't pursue it but the guy just kept denying he did anything. The police officer was really a cool guy and told me that he smelled alcohol on the guys breath and that he was a jerk to him about the whole thing and he would be more than happy to pursue it. He said that I have a very good case against him.

My situation is a little different than most in that I live in a very small town and I work in a profession where I get to know a lot of the people in the area so I am not afraid of the guy doing anything after this incident but I will take more precautions (remove the bike straps from the carrier) next time.
Also, it turns out that the officer works with a relative of my brother-in-law. He even told me that he went to Police Acadamy with him.

:2:

So, do you still think I should just drop it?

·
4,601 Posts
It's up to you, but if we all run and hide everytime someone does something illegal, it won't get better... Ya pal, I have friends too...

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
Glad to hear that it is turning out OK for ya. It still baffles me as to why some people think that they have the right to touch other peoples things. Did you work for it? Have you earned the right to touch my car? I didn't think so.

I'm super happy to hear that in this case, the officer was courteous and helpful. :29:

·
4,601 Posts
Depending on his employer, I'm sure they'd love to know the quality of their employee. You could always ask them if anything's gone missing while he's been on the job...;) Oh, no reason....:rolleyes:

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Milkman, what kind of proof that you can come out with...

it is his words aginst yours. Unless, you can get the straps fingerprinted to find that guy's fingerprint. Just a thought.

If you are not afraid he will get back to you after this whole thing, then you should work with the policeman and pursue it further.

·
4,601 Posts
I agree, on it's own, it's word against word. But, it's important to report anyway. Because if you do it, and someone else reports him, and someone else does, then there's a history there and a reputation that is constructed. One that may be useful in prosecuting a serious offence later.

I'm not saying that this will directly result in anything, however, I suppose the police do keep records of calls....

"Your Honor, the accused has a history of complaints to the police on various activities in the past..."

I'd be curious to know if this is ever done?

·
Read Only
554 Posts
Past histories . . .

Jaak - unfortunately (or fortunately - depending on your perspective!), the past behavior of defendants rarely ever comes into play in criminal trials. There are two exceptions - if the past behavior is directly relevant to the case at hand and if the defense foolishly opens the door by introducing past behavior in a trial. In the former, if past behavior is directly relevant, it is usually a component of the case (e.g., the Washington DC sniper's past actions in the state of Washington where he shot a stump for target practice were introduced into evidence that he was practicing for shooting his victims - in addition, the same rifle that was used for the target practice was used in the shootings).

In Milkman's case, if the bozo tries to do something stupid again, his past criminal actions probably won't come into play in a trial. That said, reporting is not futile. Establishing a record will keep the cops on the look out for this guy when something similar happens. If this guy keeps acting this way AND the cops know of him, the cops will be in a better position to catch him with evidence beyond the word of a witness. In other words, they'll be able to eventually get him AND make it stick, if he's a habitual offender. If he stops because of the report and the police being aware of him, well, that works too!

·
4,601 Posts
Hey thanks Jim C, that's all good information. I've wondered about that, obviously, but never really known, obviously, so it's good to know that reporting is not a futile activity.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Milkman, what kind of proof that you can come out with...

SugarRushMurano said:
it is his words aginst yours. Unless, you can get the straps fingerprinted to find that guy's fingerprint. Just a thought.

If you are not afraid he will get back to you after this whole thing, then you should work with the policeman and pursue it further.
I understand your point of being cautious but the facts are in my favor. My neice saw someone wearing a white or light colored shirt removing the straps. I saw the same person pick something up off the ground and toss them (yes--them, a handful of items) over the hlll. I saw the vehicle AND wrote down the license plate number. The officer was with me when we found some of the straps, and he even found one himself. The guy didn't deny that he drove out the road and that he was the only one driving the vehicle that day. Also, when I confronted the guy he was wearing a white shirt.

His proof ? He drove out the road and turned around--which makes no sense because when I saw his vehicle when I was leaving it was parked the same direction -- not the opposite direction. ( I have 4 other witnesses that saw his vehicle when I left). What else am I missing that is evidence in his favor?

Come to think of it I should also see about filing for a charge of littering.;)

JAAK has a good idea about telling his employer - - but I really don't want to mess with his employment (I wouldn't want to get him fired or anything). Come to think of it all I want is the guy to be a man and admit it and apologize or if he wants to continue the way he is now get fined over $18.00 worth (was $54.00 until I found 6) of unfound straps.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If I were you, I spend my time on something more pleasure.

Instead of "bad boy, bad boy, watcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when they come for ya".

Nizmo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts