Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blue and yellow headlights. Headlights must be white - blue and yellow are illegal (24011 VC). Look for the DOT symbol on the bulb and package.

Headlights brighter or higher wattage than those from the factory. You may be able to see better, but the lights are illegal (24011 VC).

So I wonder if blue parking lights/driving lights (aren't they the same?) is illiegal, and i guess the 10k Bulbs are considered illegal
:confused:

·
4,664 Posts
Headlights brighter or higher wattage than those from the factory. You may be able to see better, but the lights are illegal (24011 VC).
So if you don't have HIDs but put them in, are you OK, because there is a model that has HIDs? (As long as it's the same or less wattage and output.)

Does it say anything about focus, pattern and aim? In other words, you could have a lessor output pointed at driver's faces and still be legal?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is kind of an ambiguous statement, but I'm sure if you look into the Vehicle code it could be more specific. Doesn't the BMW's come with standard type BLUE HID?

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
And the Lexus comes with Yellow Fogs. :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the only thing I could find on it

24011. Whenever a federal motor vehicle safety standard is
established under the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act
of 1966 (15 U.S.C., Sec. 1381, et seq.) no dealer shall sell or offer
for sale a vehicle to which the standard is applicable, and no
person shall sell or offer for sale for use upon a vehicle an item of
equipment to which the standard is applicable, unless:
(a) Such vehicle or equipment conforms to the applicable federal
standard.
(b) The vehicle or equipment bears thereon a certification by the
manufacturer or distributor that it complies with the applicable
federal standards. The certification may be in the form of a symbol
prescribed in the federal standards or, if there is no federal
symbol, by a symbol acceptable to the department.

So I guess if the bulb isn't DOT Certified they could nail you?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Regarding aftermarket HID, I would not recommend them unless you have a way to aim them properly. Usually this is done by installing a projector unit with the HID setup to focus the light and not blind oncoming traffic. A poorly aimed aftermarket HID setup can be treated as high beams (since they are so bright) and you can get pulled over and cited for this. On the Murano, I imagine that an aftermarket HID kit for non-HID Muranos would result in a bright, but poorly aimed beam.

As for blue or really yellow bulbs, as far as I know it is technically illegal to have these as headlight bulbs. The DOT definition of "white light" is rather loose and can range from old dim "yellow" non-halogen incandescents to the newest factory HID hues. Besides, the higher up on the color spectrum you go (i.e. the more blue, purple, etc...) the less light output (lumens) you get per specific wattage, so at that point it would be purely cosmetic. Make sense to make it illegal to jeopardize both your own and other vehicles safety by using blue/purple bulbs with inadequate output.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts