Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I enjoy a good hard acceleration from being stopped. :D However, today I noticed a squawk like sound lasting only a short time while the vehicle tries to reclaim traction, no it is not the tires. My Honda makes an identical sound when the clutch is being engaged at certain temperatures. On the MO the sound is coming from what seems to be just below the center console shifter. I'm assuming the hard acceleration is causing wheel slip in front and thus transferring to the rear drive via some kind of clutch mechanism in this area; is this a reasonable hypothesis. The temperature today was about -15 deg C or 5 deg F and roads are covered in moisture and salt; ahh salt . I just wonder if I should let it go or have Nissan take a look. I’d rather them not be tramping my MO around the block to hear the slip/squawk from the transmission though.
Anybody hear this sometimes?

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Probably won't hurt to wait a while and see how things develop. Unless the warranty will expire in the next couple of days.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I have never noticed any noise from that area under slippery conditions. However, on the Murano, there is no transfer clutch on the front half of the car - its only on the rear diffential. So the noise you hear might not be the AWD clutch engaging. Hmmm what else could it be? Maybe a loose heat shield?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It surely sounds like something squawking and gaining traction like tires on dry pavement only lasting less than a second. So what your saying means the drive shaft that runs to the rear axle is always turning and engages the rear wheels by a diff at the back?

Anthony

·
Registered
416 Posts
The driveshaft is a 2 piece unit with a set of u-joints and a hanger bearing located below and behind the console...maybe a "bad" u-joint or bearing that "squeals" when the force of AWD is applied... worth a look...

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
ADV said:
It surely sounds like something squawking and gaining traction like tires on dry pavement only lasting less than a second. So what your saying means the drive shaft that runs to the rear axle is always turning and engages the rear wheels by a diff at the back?

Anthony
Yep, correct the first time! ;)

·
4,994 Posts
High Torque after idel, engine mount control still in soft position, Hard accel twists engine and it (or some associated part) rubs. As Eric said "Maybe a loose heat shield?" or something.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll have it checked out if it persists. Eric, your visual looks like some kind of protein or polymer?

·
4,994 Posts
Were you peeking?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
ADV, see the "Eric L has been made moderator" thread for an explaination of the picture.

You got it spot on - it is indeed a protein! However, not anyone in particular, its a theoretical model I have been looking at.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts