Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Murano is on the short list for my next vehicle. I have a baby on the way so I thought the added space of a car-based SUV would be nice.

Today, however, I saw a couple loading a stroller in the back of their Mo and I noticed that it seemed to take up most of the space behind the rear seats. Could they have had the rear seats moved to their furthest back position?

Right now, I can fit our stroller into the trunk of my A4 facing front to back and off to one side, leaving considerable room leftover. By the looks of what I saw, there didn't seem to be much room in the back of the Mo.

Those with babies, how much practical room is there really?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
shappy0869 said:
The Murano is on the short list for my next vehicle. I have a baby on the way so I thought the added space of a car-based SUV would be nice.

Today, however, I saw a couple loading a stroller in the back of their Mo and I noticed that it seemed to take up most of the space behind the rear seats. Could they have had the rear seats moved to their furthest back position?

Right now, I can fit our stroller into the trunk of my A4 facing front to back and off to one side, leaving considerable room leftover. By the looks of what I saw, there didn't seem to be much room in the back of the Mo.

I'm not sure if you can compare a golf club bag to a stroller, but I can fit my golf clubs, which isn't small at all, in the back with alot of left over room. I usually have my golf hand cart back there also and still have plenty of room.

As you can tell by the picture, the club bag is there, and there is room on both sides of the net still.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
My son's stroller won't even fit if I put it "north-south". I have to put it "east-west". I do, however, have the back seats reclined about 35 degrees...

IMHO, cargo space is not a strong point for the Murano due to the shape of its butt.

·
Registered
256 Posts
au contraire...I fit 32 Cuisinart coffee makers in the MO last month for an event at work. These were in the original boxes. I was amazed and so were the people watching me at Sam's Club. Sure, it wasn't a Surburban but then the Suburban got 10mpg in the city.

·
4,664 Posts
Storage? It's not a minivan...

Looks? It's not a minivan!:D

·
Registered
80 Posts
jaak said:
Storage? It's not a minivan...

Looks? It's not a minivan!:D
I don't even think most minivans have enough cargo space behind the rear seats to put a stroller in "north to south"... My parents used to have an extended Aerostar, which had lots of capacity for stuff in the back, but without sticking part of the stroller under the back seat, or taking the back seat out, I don't think it'd fit.

What's the problem with putting the stroller in "east to west?" Is it a mega-ginormous luxury stroller? :D

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the input and pictures. It is not a problem to put the stroller in east to west, it just seemed that the stroller in this particular Mo seemed to take up the entire depth of the cargo area. They had two stacked on top of each other, so I couldn't see what was behind, and upon further reflection, there had to have been some stuff behind the strollers in order for them to be so far towards the bumper.

I think at this point, it is going to come down to the Murano or the redesigned Passat Wagon.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
One of the reasons my wife and I liked the Mo was because of the rear seat. It's very comfortable and big. Plenty of legroom even for full-sized adults, which is very rare (have you tried riding in the back of a Highlander?)

The problem with that is it means the rear cargo area IS smaller that you might think. Still quite a step up from the trunk of my Del Sol or Prizm, but not as big as some SUVs of the same size as the Mo.

For us, it hasn't been a problem. We still have more cargo room than we need, and I've hauled a lot of crap in the short time I've owned this vehicle. But then again, I can put the seats down to do so since I don't have a "mini-me" to strap in.

I suggest taking all of your stuff for a test drive. See how you can fit everything in that you need and figure out if it works for you. Much better to be able to try things out in person rather than relying on us.

·
4,664 Posts
Canoman said:

I don't even think most minivans have enough cargo space behind the rear seats to put a stroller in "north to south"... My parents used to have an extended Aerostar, which had lots of capacity for stuff in the back, but without sticking part of the stroller under the back seat, or taking the back seat out, I don't think it'd fit.
Ahh... but take out the third row of seats in the minivan and re-evaluate that!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
For tall objects, the trunk is not that large. I do not remember the measurements but I am fairly certain the height of the cargo area is less than 3' tall. I had some trouble fitting a box for a TV in there once.

·
Registered
256 Posts
...and you have to be careful of the shoulder belt that's anchored back there. Am constantly knocking the shroud off.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Its also exactly 6 feet from the rear hatch to the front of the back seats. I once purchased a desk and it barely, just barely fit in there (unassembled in the box). The curvature of the rear hatch makes longer objects hard to carry if they are also tall. In this respect, the flat rear hatches of the Pilot and Highlander are better suited.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Your best bet is to take everything you plan on using to the dealer during the test drive period.

While I have not bought one yet we took our sons wheelchair, walker, car seat and my older sons booster seat. This would not be our primary kid vehicle but we did spend a good 45 minutes test fiting things so we have a good idea where we stand if we decide to buy one.

I would think a stroller would fit without a big issue.

·
4,664 Posts
A couple of years back, I put in a 42" Samsung rear projection TV, in the shipping carton. It consumed all the space, except for just enough in the back center for my wife's suitcase, as I picked her up at the airport immediately after.

I had to lift the box over the back edge, as the rounded corners would not allow it to just slide in, but it went in.

There was almost no room to spare anywhere. The guy at the store was blown away that it even went in.

But that's with the back seats folded down.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
shappy0869 said:

Wehave two kids, 3.5 year old and a 8 month. We can fit a double stroller in the back with ease. I've stuffed a pack and play, stroller and other needs without issue. So far I've found the space good. I might get a roof container as when we go skiing it will be hard to get everything in. Otherwise its been good for our needs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know this is not directly related but one of my beefs has always been that the 60/40 folding rear seats are oriented the wrong way round for my tastes. With a single kid in the back seat behind the passenger (so you don't have to unload junior in traffic) the car seat takes up 60 with only the 40 to put down for extra storage. If it were the other way around I could load 20% more!

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
vancouvercanuck said:
I know this is not directly related but one of my beefs has always been that the 60/40 folding rear seats are oriented the wrong way round for my tastes. With a single kid in the back seat behind the passenger (so you don't have to unload junior in traffic) the car seat takes up 60 with only the 40 to put down for extra storage. If it were the other way around I could load 20% more!
I thought it was the other way around so the passenger can more easily see any young ones riding in the back. But you bring up a good point too.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Ever thought that...

ERIC L : I thought it was the other way around so the passenger can more easily see any young ones riding in the back. But you bring up a good point too.
Ever thought that murano was designed in a Japanese Design Studio AND it is Right Hand DRIVE there in Japan. The steering is where the pasangger side is in US.

Maybe the original MUrano engineers forget to adjust/flip the rear seat design. They just realized this when the production plans have been layed out and executed. Mr. Goshn the CEO says: fugetabout it, let's save some money and close our eyes, no body will notice~ :4:

A plausible explanation i think.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts