Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Murano last Friday. The salesman had told me that there was a full sized, long term spare in the car and I realized that there is not. :-(
I am going to be traveling cross country in the future and would not like to have to worry about using a doughnut and limiting my driving speed/distance and possibly have a problem getting a new tire in the middle of no where.
I was wondering if anyone out there has gotten themselves a full sized spare on a steel or allow wheel? Does it fit in the wheel well where the spare is normally stored(I have the Bose stereo with the speaker in there too). Where did you find a cheap wheel?

Thanks for the assist!

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
if I remember correctly only the canadian "Versions" (like I have) have the full sized tires in them..

·
4,664 Posts
Yup, the whole country that Conan's in this week, has full size spares in their Muranos.... (We slipped the Japanese a few extra buck so they'd do this... SHHHHHH!)

·
Registered
418 Posts
As well as the benefits of a full size spare, the spare tire is mounted on an alloy wheel so if you ever damage a wheel you have an extra wheel.....makes you wonder why Nissan would provide a full size spare in Canada?? Are they trying to keep down costs on the US version? Do they think Canadian roads are generally in much poorer condition than US roads? hhhhmmmmm

·
Registered
27 Posts
But how does the subwoofer fit into the spare wheel area?
I mean when I take my donut out and put my real tire in the spare area there is not enough room for the Subwoofer now.

The flooring does not sit flat.

kga

·
Registered
78 Posts
SPARE TIRE

As a Canuck who travels extensively in the USA I must say that our roads are 100% better quality than in the US. I been to every state over the years and very few compare to Canandian roads.

Concerning the sub -woofer. The full-size spare is inserted so the woofer fits in the inside of the rim and is held in place with a wing-nut.

Remember this from me- you don't need snow tires!!!!!!!

True Canadian!

·
Registered
27 Posts
So why does my tire not fit in there now. The spare fits fine but the real tire will not let the flooring lay flat.

So if I get a real tire and rim it should fit is what you are saying with my subwoofer?

I appreciate your help.

Canadian in Texas.

kga:cool:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks Pat. I will look at mine as well I might just have my tire in there in a weird way or something.

I appreciate your help.

kga:cool:

·
4,664 Posts
Hey guys, we get the full size spare, but we don't get the tray...

Hmmm.... What a choice... So leave the tray out, and it should fit.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Pat-- you must have a lot more Liberal MPs in your part of the country(lucky you). Highways on the Canadian prairies are disgraceful compared to the interstates in North Dakota/Minnesota.The 75mph speed limit is nice too.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I put a full size spare in mine. Factory wheel and tire. Had to take out the tray, and the floor sits up less than an inch at the back. No big deal.. Subwoofer mounts exactly the same, but you have to extend the screw socket in the floor, or get a longer screw to bolt it in.
BTW: I doubt you will find a full size (width) steel 18" wheel anywhere.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So it does not sit flat and you do have to take out the tray.
That is what I thought. I was wondering about the longer screw.

Great info. Thanks for the help.

:)

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
I guess I dont understand how it doesnt sit flat unless the canadians sits burped up a bit too. Is this so?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am not sure about the Canadian. But I do know that when I put a full size in there, like when mine went flat and had to put the donut on, that the floor does not sit flat. It is kind of a pain.
But mostly the concern for me was not being able to secure the sub woofer. I guess I just need a longer screw to bolt it in with.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I have a lot of " stuff" lying around. My extender was made from the valve cover support bolt from a 1969 Renault 16. It is about 2 1/2" long and has a male end (screws into the floor socket) and a female end (accepts the original wing bolt) It required a regular nut to lock it in place.
If pressed, I might be able to find a few more of these in the junk box...
As I remember, I had to retap the thread on one end.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Here is what the extender looks like. I actually had to drill and tap the hole in the floor to match the slightly larger thread of the adapter.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Snow MO said:
I guess I dont understand how it doesnt sit flat unless the canadians sits burped up a bit too. Is this so?
Nope. Our centre cover sits flat. It MAY have to do with the subwoofer wire harness -- just a guess. Our centre lid/cover has a slight depression on the underside to compensate for the sub's wiring harness passing over the top of the spare.

·
Registered
227 Posts
  1. What did you ever do about getting a wheel for the new full size spare tire?
  2. Will a 235/65/18 Goodyear Eagle LS fit on the spare wheel [the donut] that is in the back on the US Muranos or will I have to buy a new wheel?
    [/list=1]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts